Power and Internet

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

arball
Black Friday Pro

Power and Internet

Postby arball » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:45 am

power generator? power inverter from your car with extension cable?
and for internet, do you use one of those cell provider laptop cards that pulls down wireless or how do you get around this?

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Re: Power and Internet

Postby MikesTooLz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:09 am

arball wrote:power generator? power inverter from your car with extension cable?
and for internet, do you use one of those cell provider laptop cards that pulls down wireless or how do you get around this?

Normaly I just do without power. Normaly I leave my laptop at home.

However this year I have setup a WiFi Router in my car that uses a Verizon Card to get highspeed interent. Everyone in line will get free wifi. I will be trying to get the online deals while in line this year.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:18 am

we have just run inverters and cords from the cars before. I do have a small generator this year, though I doubt I will use it, even if it can be placed at a distance.

for teh intarwebz, it has varied. we have gone without, or maybe found a loose wifi connection. this year I also have the verizon evdo broadband that MT uses. though I dont have the infamous wifi car, I will likely set up an ad hoc network to share. and even outside of that, I can always tether with my phone.

DJKezo
Black Friday Pro

Postby DJKezo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Teathering the phone FTW. having 2 laptops helps a ton... just switch them out throughout the night and let one charge in the car.

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:02 pm

I haven't decided yet. What I was going to do was get a large deep cycle marine battery and use my 150W power inverter and simply charge my laptop when the battery gets low. I'm hoping it lasts the night, but I guess we'll see.

I do work at a school though, so I could just borrow 4-5 MacBook batteries from one of the laptop carts, that should last about 15-20 hours (3-4 hours per battery).

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:39 pm

geoff5093 wrote:I haven't decided yet. What I was going to do was get a large deep cycle marine battery and use my 150W power inverter and simply charge my laptop when the battery gets low. I'm hoping it lasts the night, but I guess we'll see.

I do work at a school though, so I could just borrow 4-5 MacBook batteries from one of the laptop carts, that should last about 15-20 hours (3-4 hours per battery).

Thats a pretty good idea.. I'm sitting here worrying about how i'm going to power my Macbook Pro from Wednesday night to Friday morning and completely forgot about extra batteries. :D

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:53 pm

If I can get my plans back on track, I'm renting an Amida 20 kW genset, and my iPhone can serve as a Wi-Fi AP with some software I installed via jailbreak. :ninja:

arball
Black Friday Pro

Postby arball » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 pm

how do you go about sharing the connection you have from one of those tmobile/att things?

looking for other ideas for getting internet out there.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm

iKitsune wrote:If I can get my plans back on track, I'm renting an Amida 20 kW genset, and my iPhone can serve as a Wi-Fi AP with some software I installed via jailbreak. :ninja:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 pm

arball wrote:how do you go about sharing the connection you have from one of those tmobile/att things?

looking for other ideas for getting internet out there.

depends on what "one of those tmobile/att things" is.

if it is a phone, you can sometimes tether it to your lappy, then create an adhoc wifi network.

if it is an aircard, you could do the same thing, or if there compatible router you could use that.

if your phone or aircard is only edge speeds, its going to suck sharing it. at best you will get maybe twice the speed of dial up, and that is shared, not each.

if you have a 3g connection, it will be faster. as of now, att, sprint, and verizon have decent data services. tmobile has just started the 3g rollout.

in the end, there is nothing that is cheap, easy, and fast. only portions of each. unless you already have things set up like MT, or hell, just go to where he is and you are set!!!

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 pm

my iPhone can create an ad-hoc wifi network and offer dhcp and its internet connection via software I installed called PDANet. They claim to have WinMo and Palm versions too.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 am

yes, there is WinMo wifi router software. its decent, though on my tmobile edge speed, its just about pointless.

the city I live in has free muni wifi with decent coverage, but it limits you to 512k speeds.
the BB we will likely line up at is in another town. but there is a barnes & noble right by it, so some might be able to get on to the att or tmobile wifi there. but that is on the opposite side of BB from where we will be, so a pretty good distance.
still, I have my evdo set up, and am covered no matter what.

arball
Black Friday Pro

Postby arball » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 am

ah. ya, i have just a pci card for my laptop thats an aircard for at&t, will have to check if its 3g speeds or not.

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 pm

cambo357 wrote:yes, there is WinMo wifi router software. its decent, though on my tmobile edge speed, its just about pointless.

the city I live in has free muni wifi with decent coverage, but it limits you to 512k speeds.
the BB we will likely line up at is in another town. but there is a barnes & noble right by it, so some might be able to get on to the att or tmobile wifi there. but that is on the opposite side of BB from where we will be, so a pretty good distance.
still, I have my evdo set up, and am covered no matter what.

As far as picking up a distant wi-fi connection, get a yagi antenna. I recommend the MFJ-1800 from MFJ electronics. Once you use a yagi, you'll never go back to a cantenna.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 pm

since I have the evdo, I am set, no need for the distant connection.
but yes, a yagi is fantastic. I have used one before, as well as a j-pole, on my icom F4 handhelds.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”