Need an honest opinion - First time HDTV buyer

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

Need an honest opinion - First time HDTV buyer

Postby newyorkcityholic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Okay so I need a new TV....bad......my TV is dying.....the screen is slowly extending out of picture...I was watching the World Series the past few days and had to keep checking the score online because I couldnt see it on the screen....yeah it was bad. So I need some opinions.....SO FAR I like the sales Sears has on TVs (it could change depending on the other stores whose ads havent leaked yet)

So can I get your opinion....Which TV from the Sears ad would you buy?

- Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U 42" 720p Plasma HDTV $699.99

or

- Sylvania LC420SS8 42" LCD HDTV $699.99

Is Plasma worth the money? Is one of these brands better than the other? HELP! Thanks :)

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:52 pm

I would stay away from the plasma TV's.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

Postby newyorkcityholic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm

^ any reason why?

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 pm

newyorkcityholic wrote:^ any reason why?

Burn In.

If you leave something on the TV for over an hour that dosnt move, like if you pause your tivo and leave the room. The image will be burned onto the screen and be visable when you put something else on or even slightly when the tv is off. Or lets say you watch the news for a while, you could get that channel 10 news logo burned onto the bottom of the screen. You have to be carefull for the first 200 hours as that is when it is most likely to burn in. Its kind of like breaking in an engine for a new car.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

gseclipse11
Black Friday Pro

Postby gseclipse11 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Burn in is almost a non-issue now a days. It takes a lot long than an hour. Being the owner of a 42" Plasma I have not had any issues.
Last edited by gseclipse11 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Agreed - avoid Plasma.
The '1/2 life' of the Plasma is around 12 years before it's no good - an LCD is roughly 24-25 years

My brother in law won a 50" plasma a few years back and they had specific instructions about running a 200 hour test on the TV before watching any shows to help avoid the burn in. When you have a HDTV and watch a non-HD show, you get black bars on the sides of the picture to fit the standard image - well, this will burn in the black bars after time.

LCD is cheaper usually too, I believe.

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Well IMHO plasma is worth the money, burn-in is not as bad as some describes, you could have Image Retention IR but it will dissapear later.

Panasonic is the top manufacturer in Plamas TV while Sylvania well I don't know, I don't think is a manufacturer just a brand.

Go and see by yourself these two TV sets, pick the one you like most.

I bet there'll be better offers in the upcoming ads.

blackfridayaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby blackfridayaddict » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:21 pm

I bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma around this time last year. We looked into the burn in thing and figured that with everyone downplaying it we'd be ok. Well, I watch the news in the morning and at the bottom right of the screen the little date and time icon that's always on is now very slightly burned in on the screen, it's not too bad, but it bothers me that it's there. Same goes with my husband's video game, he'd play his need for speed games and now the speedometer is burned in as well. Once again, not bad at all, but it's there. I didn't want to deal with it and constantly worry about burn in so I sold it and now have had a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD for about 6 months now and I LOVE it! Its extremely liberating to let my hubby play his games and be able to watch the news without worrying about burn in.

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Im sorry but those who are knocking plasma are not up to date on the latest generation of plasmas. Burn in is almost a non issue and the half life of Plasmas is about the same as those of LCDs 60K hours. There are other factors that could influence your decision but those shouldnt be two of them. I own several of both and depending on what Im using it for I like my plasmas as much if not more than the LCD. Each has advantages and disadvantages that you really have to determine for yourself. Just take 5 minutes and google something like LCD vs Plasma make sure and check the date on the article to make sure its recent and not a year old or more and go with that.

LCD is NOT cheaper.
Burn in is virtually a non issue.
For larger TVs dont go with 720p unless you dont care about HD content.

KristopherWindsor
Black Friday Pro

Postby KristopherWindsor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:31 pm

LCD costs more, which is why Plasmas were more popular 5 years ago, but now the prices are similar.
LCDs can come in < 42" while Plasmas (typically) don't, and the higher resolution at smaller sizes makes it better for a computer monitor.
(If you can get a 1920 * 1080 Plasma then it is OK, but probably you won't find this.)

tobinsky
Black Friday Pro

Postby tobinsky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:55 pm

I would also say stay away from plasmas. I had one a while back (last December) and the picture was horrible. Also, the TV's Sears has, are a little over-pricedd for BF, so I would definately look at the BB ad when we get it. Samsungs are the best LCD's, so I would always suggest going with one of those.

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:03 pm

tobinsky wrote:I would also say stay away from plasmas. I had one a while back (last December) and the picture was horrible. Also, the TV's Sears has, are a little over-pricedd for BF, so I would definately look at the BB ad when we get it. Samsungs are the best LCD's, so I would always suggest going with one of those.

What brand did you have of Plasma? I love mine of course I love my LCDs too but I prefer plasma for my home theater viewing. Sears may be overpriced but they also price match on BF 110% so smart shoppers would still consider this a good place to consider if they carry the same brand you are considering.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 pm

I've watched LCD-Plasma side by side and Plasma seems a little darker too...of course every TV needs adjustments, etc. I can't say they were equally adjusted but as they were side by side - the LCD seemed clearer.

I ever walked up 12 inches from each and the LCD was still sharper...

wclark48
Black Friday Pro

Postby wclark48 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:04 am

I think it is strictly a matter of personal preference. I have both plasma and LCD. Minor differences in the pictures. Burn-in has not been an issue, but glare is. The plasma is a little more particular about if/where the sun hits it.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 pm

I have not seen a Sylvania HD TV although a Flat Screen one I saw was very good. The Panasonic Plasmas are nice from what I have seen - burn in is an issue for older Plasma TV's but concerning the newer, it is correct that it is almost a non issue.

What I would recommend is go down to Sears and look at the TVs if they have them in stock now. See how they look to you.

Also, check the resolution on the Sylvania. From what I see, either one could be a decent entry level into HD.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”