Tips on staying warm while waiting in line for black Friday?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Many of our veterans of Black Friday have experience what old man winter can put us through while we wait outside of a retail store. I have seen many that cannot wait for hours and hours outside in the elements because they are not prepared.

The most important thing is to say warm and dry. If you layer yourself with the proper clothes you may be able to have a successful Black Friday. Winter clothes are to keep the warm air close to your body. Many people make the mistake by layering so much to the point where they cannot move. A risky fabric to wear in the winter time is cotton, cotton DOES NOT hold in the warm air coming off of your body. Insulation is the key to keeping warm. The two fabrics that hold in heat very well are fleece and wool.

The layering process:

Underlayer:

• Two pairs liner socks (thin, quick-drying)
• liner gloves
• Synthetic underpants
• Synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms

Insulating layer 1:

• Thick insulating socks (one pair per day)
• Synthetic pants
• Synthetic shirt

Insulating layer 2:

• heavy gloves or mittens (mittens conserve heat better); plus extra pair in case one is lost
• Fleece pants
• Fleece vest

Outer layer:

• Down jacket, preferably with waterproof/breathable outer material
• Shell pants, waterproof/breathable
• Shell jacket with hood, waterproof/breathable
• neck gaiter or scarf
• shell mittens of waterproof/breathable material
• hat (fleece or wool)
• brimmed cap for warm, sunny days
• boots, waterproof and roomy enough for thick socks and toe-wiggling to prevent frostbite
• gaiters
• goggles (for wind and snow)
• sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm with sunblock

Layer Process credited to: Backpacker Magazine

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Every three or two hours have someone go to a local store and microwave ten or twenty potatoes.

The hot potatoes make excellent hand warmers/body/etc.

But then I no longer live in places that get that cold,..... at CD. Victoria, Tamaulipas, Mexico it gets down to seventy degrees F and to combat such extreme temperatures we sometimes have to resort to a long sleeved shirt. :lol:

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 am

Again, some important notes:

*You may think that drinking hot liquids is the way to go, but most of those hot liquids like coffee or tea are caffeinated, and as such are diuretics. In other words, they make you pee more than plain water, which can be a problem due to location, and of course heat loss.

*Hot snacks are also a problem. When digestion starts, blood flow is decreased to the extremities, and increased to the stomach and intestines. (You actually feel colder than had you not ate)

*Bring chapstick and/or vaseline. (Cold weather will chap your lips and more. Plus, petroleum is an insulator since it blocks your pores) -Balm covered previously, but the body is also an option.

*Sneakers over boots/shoes. (Sneakers have arch support and will often have better insoles. Wear rubbers over shoes if need be) -I disagree with the previous post re: boots, if it's standard work/hike boots.

Vetterin
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Vetterin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm

I've froze long enough so this year I'm thinking about leaving real early and driving South (about 800 miles). :D

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Vetterin wrote:I've froze long enough so this year I'm thinking about leaving real early and driving South (about 800 miles). :D

haha, that's the way to go :P

Ghost3B
Black Friday Pro

Re: Surviving the cold...

Postby Ghost3B » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 am

MikesTooLz wrote:I know they have propane ones that run off the little canisters for a while. Never used one though since I live in florida. Its strange the florida even gets chilly on black friday, durring the day it will be really hot but every year it seems to get cool on black friday. Its the only time of the year I get to use my jacket.

This is what I used and I give it 2 thumbs up.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116

ZQ8 Blazer
Black Friday Pro

Postby ZQ8 Blazer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:33 am

I live in western, ky and it usually gets down between 30-40 degrees. The 1st year we froze to death. The second we took a tent, car battery, power inverter, 100ft ext. cord, laptops, heated blanket. I didn't need the battery or inverter because I found a 110 outlet outside that I just plugged into. I brought a queen size heated blanket and we took some blankets to lay on. We dressed for cool weather, but not real cold. I ended up getting down to my short sleeve shirt, it stayed warm in the tent.

This year:
Bigger tent
Mr. Heater Tent Heater
Blankets
ext cord.
Battery/inverter(incase the cops say something about me stealing power)

Lady Christmas
Black Friday Pro

Postby Lady Christmas » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:30 am

Has anyone tried the Mr.Buddy heater? You can get them at Cabela's. They are portable and run off disposable propane bottles. We have one and really like it alot. And they have a couple of different sizes. More convient than the pictures I see posted here.

OrionPax
Black Friday Amateur

Postby OrionPax » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 pm

Yep....

Last year. I had my brother pick me up a Mr. Heater Buddy last year. We used it in a small fold up hunting blind on black friday. Worked good. This year we will be using a tent along with the heater. I hope it works as well as it did last year in the small hunting blind.

OP :D

Bexx
Black Friday Pro

Postby Bexx » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:33 am

I picked up a tent yesterday at Target for $26.99. It is perfect for BF, 2-3 person small dome with the extra cover thingy. YAY! That is kinda of like getting a BF deal before BF for BF. HAHA that didn't make any sense...but I knew what I meant!

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I splurged and bought all new winter gear this year. So now I have a brand new mid-weight winter coat, fleece (instead of buying a 3-in-1 coat), snow pants, thin fleece gloves and large winter gloves (so I can double them up), and new boots. Now I just need to find some nice thermals and wool socks.

Garden3296
Black Friday Pro

Cardboard Boxes ~ like a stove box

Postby Garden3296 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:18 pm

I learned years ago that cardboard boxes work great and easy to dispose of once the stores open. A local mayor standing in line behind me said, "Homeless people sleep in these boxes everyday and survive the winter, I can do it for one night". He was right. The cardboard insulates your feet from the ground and blocks the wind.

Happy Shopping!!!!

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:51 pm

I snuggled up next to a roaring propane grill. :D

Seriously, we had the thing lit all night. ^^

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:35 pm

Last year, it was in the 30's. I wore thermals, jeans, a sweater, a coat, socks, sneakers, gloves, hat. This was my first year standing outside in that kind of weather. BOY WAS I UNDERDRESSED!!!! If it's the same, I will be wearing thermals, 2 shirts, a coat, hat, 2 pairs of socks, sneakers, gloves, flannel PJ pants and jeans. Hopefully that will work.

I'm a floridian, born and raised, so this Georgia cold is new to me!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”