Tips on staying warm while waiting in line for black Friday?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

kckdrummer
Black Friday Newbie

Tips on staying warm while waiting in line for black Friday?

Postby kckdrummer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Because in the Midwest it's very cold

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

Surviving the cold...

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:24 pm

We always brought a tent when we camped out for BF in Milwaukee and had a portable space heater, it was around 7 degrees outside and we got the inside of the tent up into the 30s-40s. Also bring sleeping bags and blankets and you will be comfortable.

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 pm

here is what i do...i had posted it on another thread, found here...

i wrote:get one of the folding chairs (the new style ones in the bags...) with the sling for your feet on it and get a sleeping bag...you stay up off the pavement and will be nice and toasty...take a small cooler for "beverages" of your choice..(alcohol not recommended..) and a thermos full of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate...

make friends with the people in line around you and they will save your spot if you have to make a run to the bathroom or if you want to get coffee or something...also it is a good idea if they drink the same, to get some for them and trade off... If you want more than one of the big ticket items, they can grab one of them for you if they don't want it...you can do the same for them...

kckdrummer
Black Friday Newbie

Re: Surviving the cold...

Postby kckdrummer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:54 pm

TophNWHSU07 wrote:We always brought a tent when we camped out for BF in Milwaukee and had a portable space heater, it was around 7 degrees outside and we got the inside of the tent up into the 30s-40s. Also bring sleeping bags and blankets and you will be comfortable.
What kind of space heater did you use in your tent is it cord less and if it is not how did u plug it in?

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:19 pm

i bet it was probably a little LP one...

like the first one...alot of times people will use the second style outside...definately not recommended inside a tent...would melt the tent around it...

ImageImage

mdoshi
Black Friday Pro

Postby mdoshi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Hand warmers work well for me. Definitely need them in Michigan lol.

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 pm

kckdrummer wrote:
TophNWHSU07 wrote:We always brought a tent when we camped out for BF in Milwaukee and had a portable space heater, it was around 7 degrees outside and we got the inside of the tent up into the 30s-40s. Also bring sleeping bags and blankets and you will be comfortable.
What kind of space heater did you use in your tent is it cord less and if it is not how did u plug it in?

I know they have propane ones that run off the little canisters for a while. Never used one though since I live in florida. Its strange the florida even gets chilly on black friday, durring the day it will be really hot but every year it seems to get cool on black friday. Its the only time of the year I get to use my jacket.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:
kckdrummer wrote:

I know they have propane ones that run off the little canisters for a while. Never used one though since I live in florida. Its strange the florida even gets chilly on black friday, durring the day it will be really hot but every year it seems to get cool on black friday. Its the only time of the year I get to use my jacket.

i have sit outside in a blizzard (yes blizzard...complete whiteout and 40mph winds with temps below zero) for bf specials at bb...

kckdrummer
Black Friday Newbie

Postby kckdrummer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Matt1981m wrote:i bet it was probably a little LP one...

like the first one...alot of times people will use the second style outside...definately not recommended inside a tent...would melt the tent around it...

ImageImage
. Thanks for the advice

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:37 pm

the cold is the absolute worst part of the wait on BF.

I keep track of the weather leading up to it. if it is predicted to be insanely cold, I will wear pants. I am also prepared with a sweatshirt/fleece of some sort.
bundling up is not favored, as it just makes it a hassle to relieve yourself after having some suds.
really, everybody in our crew knows that they are risking frostbite and hypothermia out there. but for some of us, the risk vs. reward is just too tempting.
we do bring a tent just in case of rain or even worse.
one year I did have the girl I was dating come down to help share some, um, body warmth, for a bit.

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 pm

cambo357 wrote:the cold is the absolute worst part of the wait on BF.

I keep track of the weather leading up to it. if it is predicted to be insanely cold, I will wear pants. I am also prepared with a sweatshirt/fleece of some sort.
bundling up is not favored, as it just makes it a hassle to relieve yourself after having some suds.
really, everybody in our crew knows that they are risking frostbite and hypothermia out there. but for some of us, the risk vs. reward is just too tempting.
we do bring a tent just in case of rain or even worse.
one year I did have the girl I was dating come down to help share some, um, body warmth, for a bit.

that's where the tent idea comes in handy!!!

i usually will just wear jeans and a sweatshirt if it is supposed to be cold and use the sleeping bag...that way i can get out quickly to take care of business...the number 1 thing to remember is if you have a small car and are planning on getting alot, dont take so much stuff that you will have to cram it all in...small items like a sleeping bag and a chair can be thrown in the trunk quickly...

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 pm

It's really depending on how well you can take the cold.

I properly layering myself with my snowboarding clothes, wear waterproof boots, gloves with hand warmers.

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:46 pm

cambo357 wrote:one year I did have the girl I was dating come down to help share some, um, body warmth, for a bit.

BODY WARMTH FTW!!!!

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:03 pm

:lol:

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm

kckdrummer wrote:

Propane-powered space-heater did just fine for us, but you have to watch it so you don't melt your tent or (worse) set it on fire!

Worked well for us as long as you keep an eye on it. Hope this helps!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”