What should I get for......

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

What should I get for......

Postby newyorkcityholic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 am

Ok so I think we should have a thread for suggestions on what we should get for certain people if they cant think of anything. If this has been done before dont yell at me.

Okay so my question is what should I get for my brother who is an electrician and has EVERYTHING. You name a tool, he probably has it. Any suggestions?

sayuncle
Black Friday Pro

Get your brother

Postby sayuncle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:26 am

Beer. Electricians love beer!

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Re: Get your brother

Postby AshFrash » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:38 pm

sayuncle wrote:Beer. Electricians love beer!

LOL this is all too true! My husband, an electrician, is a total beer man! Try a gift card to a local brewery restaurant, if you have one. They may enjoy that! I know I hate giving gift cards, but sometimes it's the only option, i.e. for my dad who has everything he could need and never gives me any ideas!! UGH!

JMM
Black Friday Amateur

Postby JMM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:57 am

Standard answers -
* Something to hold tools - toolbox, belt, bucket, etc
* Tool sharpening thing
* Book of plans, techniques, etc

Special gifts -
* An organized (little containers, drawers, etc) collection of the small parts of his trade in various sizes. When my Dad died I gave his friend Dad's collection of screws, washers, bits of wire...all those sorts of things that a handyman saves "because you might need it someday" Made Dad's friend so happy.
* a new Carhartt - depending on where you live, maybe the artic coveralls?

You can also call NECA/IBEW for an idea...generally I'd ask for the Apprenticeship coordinator, part of his job is to answer questions from the generally public although not typically this type of question.

mbutchg62
Black Friday Pro

Postby mbutchg62 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:15 pm

How about a screwdriver bit set? Not the normal one, but the set that has all the bits for the tamper-proof fittings?

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Re: What should I get for......

Postby Russell Burrows » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:48 pm

newyorkcityholic wrote:Ok so I think we should have a thread for suggestions on what we should get for certain people if they cant think of anything. If this has been done before dont yell at me.

Okay so my question is what should I get for my brother who is an electrician and has EVERYTHING. You name a tool, he probably has it. Any suggestions?

A waterjet for those special projects that require a special tool.

carolinagal
Black Friday Pro

Postby carolinagal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:46 pm

My husband is the hardest person to buy for on my christmas list....He is an auto body tech. Outside of work he loves to do lawn work and loves to work on broken projects. Tools are out of the question...2 reasons....1) if it is on the snap on tool truck he already owns it 2) nothing compares to snap on tools as far as he is concerned :roll: . I hate doing the gift card thing b/c that takes all the fun out of shopping. So any suggestions?

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Re: What should I get for......

Postby g-man430 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:48 pm

newyorkcityholic wrote:Ok so I think we should have a thread for suggestions on what we should get for certain people if they cant think of anything. If this has been done before dont yell at me.

Buy him something electronic like a GPS, HDTV, blu ray player, laptop, etc.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

Postby newyorkcityholic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:39 am

carolinagal wrote:My husband is the hardest person to buy for on my christmas list....He is an auto body tech. Outside of work he loves to do lawn work and loves to work on broken projects. Tools are out of the question...2 reasons....1) if it is on the snap on tool truck he already owns it 2) nothing compares to snap on tools as far as he is concerned :roll: . I hate doing the gift card thing b/c that takes all the fun out of shopping. So any suggestions?

I found a "no-scratch" belt that is for mechanics that doesnt have a buckle that could scratch cars or get into electrical components:
http://www.beltoutlet.com/menoscbebydi.html

Here are some gearshift cufflinks:
http://www.cuff-daddy.com/novelty-5-spe ... links.html

Personalized tire coaster set:
http://www.etctrade.com/product_info.ph ... &cost=0.11

Mustang Wall Table:
http://www.taylorgifts.com/prodetail~it ... NDGIFT.asp

LOTS MORE STUFF:
http://www.findgift.com/Categories/Occu ... /Mechanic/ (the page numbers are at the VERY bottom of the site)

jgm8
Black Friday Pro

My 11 Y/O Daughter

Postby jgm8 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 am

I have asked my eleven year old several times what she wants for Christmas. She doesn't have an answer. Two years ago, she asked for books, so we gave her thiry. They were all read in approx seven months. Last year, I was able to get a cheap latop. She uses it all the time, especially for homework. She doesn't play with dolls, or toys in general. The grandparents gave her a WII last year and DS the year before. My husband has Rock Band for the 360....She plays the video games, but not every day. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was even thinking concert tickets or something, but how can you plan that so far in advance?

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

Re: My 11 Y/O Daughter

Postby newyorkcityholic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:50 pm

jgm8 wrote:I have asked my eleven year old several times what she wants for Christmas. She doesn't have an answer. Two years ago, she asked for books, so we gave her thiry. They were all read in approx seven months. Last year, I was able to get a cheap latop. She uses it all the time, especially for homework. She doesn't play with dolls, or toys in general. The grandparents gave her a WII last year and DS the year before. My husband has Rock Band for the 360....She plays the video games, but not every day. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was even thinking concert tickets or something, but how can you plan that so far in advance?

concert tickets would be a great idea! usually big artists give out dates for their tours months in advance so you should check ticketmaster.com and type in your zipcode and see who is coming to your area after christmas.....that way you can buy the tickets and give them to your daughter for christmas. if you need help with this lemme know what city you are in and i can help find some concerts for you.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

11 year old Girl:

Concert tickets are a great idea. You've got a general idea of what will be going on in your household. Just plan it -- find out what her fave is and get an extra ticket for a friend and she will be pretty excited, I'm sure. http://www.pollstar.com

What about an I-pod or .mp3/video player?

Gadget & Beer Guys:

Bolt Outs (Craftsman) -- allows you to get damaged bolts removed.

Screw Outs (Craftsman) -- allows you to get damaged/stripped screws removed.

Beer Club Membership -- they ship a beer a month or something like that. Most of them are international beers from literally all over the world.

Mini Fridge for the Garage (loaded with beverages, of course). I suggested this for my BIL last year and it was a HUGE HIT!

mlo
Black Friday Pro

Postby mlo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 am

11yr old girl:
A mini spa treatment. Nothing like a manicure and/or pedicure to make a girl feel special. Clear nail polish is ok.
Scented creams, bath fizzies, lip gloss.
Movie passes/gift certs and a ride for her and her friends to the theatre.

Gadget guys are always hard to shop for. Combine gadget with hobby. Mine likes computer, music and gadgets. Just bought him a new case for his 3g iPhone. He's hinting about needing a new bluetooth. Car adapter for gadgets.

Peach2
Black Friday Pro

Re: My 11 Y/O Daughter

Postby Peach2 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:39 am

jgm8 wrote:I have asked my eleven year old several times what she wants for Christmas. She doesn't have an answer. Two years ago, she asked for books, so we gave her thiry. They were all read in approx seven months. Last year, I was able to get a cheap latop. She uses it all the time, especially for homework. She doesn't play with dolls, or toys in general. The grandparents gave her a WII last year and DS the year before. My husband has Rock Band for the 360....She plays the video games, but not every day. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was even thinking concert tickets or something, but how can you plan that so far in advance?

My daughter is the same age and we have had the same discussion. Last year we got her a Nintendo DS, she rarely plays it. She saved up her money for Itouch knock off. She loves it and uses it often. My daughter likes stardoll.com or gosupermodel.com those are an idea. I'm lost too.

KristopherWindsor
Black Friday Pro

Postby KristopherWindsor » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:32 am

I suggest a larger computer monitor. 24" or larger is awesome! :D

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”