Ad leaks, C&D, etc.

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Ad leaks, C&D, etc.

Postby cambo357 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm

so we know the retailers clamp down on the leaked ads. C&D orders, blah blah. they still get out anyway. torrents, email, etc, they can still be found. I have a couple of questions.

first for the admins here. so you have a C&D about it. if somebody posts it you are required to remove it. after you do that, are you still under the gun of legal action? I thought there was some sort of case that forum admins cannot be held responsible for what others do, provided they do the best they can to rectify the situation. similarly, are you prevented from say linking to or listing where somebody could find the ads? as in a torrent, or if somebody set up an email just for that.

second question. does anybody know if there is a free email service (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc) that can do multiple/different types of autoresponders?

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:16 pm

Well im pretty sure if the Store sends a C&D order that you cant have it on the forum either becuase I rember many time people posting the ad and it getting taken back off....PM though are another story.

BUT the best person to answer this would be...the almighty Killsnake!!!!!!!

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 pm

The Zach101 wrote:Well im pretty sure if the Store sends a C&D order that you cant have it on the forum either becuase I rember many time people posting the ad and it getting taken back off....PM though are another story.

That's my thoughts too. The best thing to do in the event that they receive a C&D letter from a retailer is to PM someone who has saved the ad to their computer. Whether or not people will actually give it to you is another story, but I bet most would.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 pm

yes, I know it would have to be pulled, thats the point of the C&D.

this is the scenario that I am thinking. somebody gets the ad, posts it, and several people do get it. the admins are force to pull it. of course, several people now have it. if somebody were to then post something saying to PM or email them to get it, would the site admins have to pull that as well?

this is the scenario I am thinking of. somebody has set up an email such as getyourBFadshere@mailservice.com. they post saying to email that addy and an auto responder then sends them an email with the ads. if possible, set up more than one autoresponder, and have the person put the name of the ad as the subject, and then they get just that ad.

would be nice to have it as an anon account, so less worry of legal action on that person.

just an idea. I have never dealt with autoresponders and such before, so I might be off on the viability of it.

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:44 am

I believe torrent trackers are the best bet if these scare tactics intensify. Any forum or blog can be C&D's, but a torrent tracker can at least tell you what files are in the torrent before you go downloading it.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm

The Zach101 wrote:Well im pretty sure if the Store sends a C&D order that you cant have it on the forum either becuase I rember many time people posting the ad and it getting taken back off....PM though are another story.

That is correct. It cannot be posted anywhere on the forum if the store sends a C&D order.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I love your avatar gman.

And yes that's correct we've remove the ad posting on the forums, as well as the bfads.net main page
whenever we get a C&D order.

NJ__Jon
Black Friday Pro

Postby NJ__Jon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Im thinking of posting images on my photo site and see if they try to track me down....

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”