Go it alone or with a buddy?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

mommybambi
Black Friday Pro

Postby mommybambi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm

It sounds like a buddy could be helpful if they are committed enough. Maybe hubby is a bad choice. My sister might be good but it depends if what we are looking for is in the same stores. She does night stock at Walmart and likes to sleep during the day so she doesn't want to stay out very long. She is usually off Thanksgiving night since her stores stocks for Friday on Wednesday night after closing.

mikeculley
Black Friday Newbie

Always go with a buddy, if you can.

Postby mikeculley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes, a buddy will help. But you have to know how to use your buddy when you are both in a store and get seperated. A simple solution most people think of for communication would be a cell phone, but if you haven't checked if your phone works in that store before you go to it you just lost your communication tool. Hmm, didn't think about that one did you?

Mike
Learn over 50 of my best BF tips!
**Link removed ** -killasnake

brooks215
Black Friday Pro

to buddy or not ot buddy....

Postby brooks215 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm

last year i did BF with 2 friends (a co-worker who was new to the concept of black friday and a friend who was tired of me picking up deals). myself and the coworker parked in front of the bbuy around 3pm tday (we originally had planned for post dinner but when we drove pass the mall there already was about 20 folks in line) and the other friend acted as a runner (bringing dinner, coffee, bathroom breaks, etc.). it was great to have the company but a little problematic once in the store, as the new co-worker was not attuned to the 'hustle' of the store. he purchased a new desktop (199) and the sales person managed to 'upsell' him on geeksquad installation of viruscan, a 35 cable for the printer (which i explained he already had the cable since he already had a printer), and several other services which came to an additional $150. this caused us to spend time in line to return the unwanted services and items.

this year the co-worker wants to go again but i am considering if the company will be worth the hassle.

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Re: Always go with a buddy, if you can.

Postby The Zach101 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm

mikeculley wrote:Yes, a buddy will help. But you have to know how to use your buddy when you are both in a store and get seperated. A simple solution most people think of for communication would be a cell phone, but if you haven't checked if your phone works in that store before you go to it you just lost your communication tool. Hmm, didn't think about that one did you?

Mike

Try Walkie Talkies becuase you dont have to go through the whole dialing and ringing process plus they might not hear it ring so Walkie Talkies is what I use but you may want to make sure no one in the imediate line behind you or infront are going to be useing the same channel.

misskerri
Black Friday Newbie

Postby misskerri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:15 am

MegaBlue wrote:Definitely alone, for me. I can get into and out of stores quicker than anyone I know. My mom will sometimes go, but she's really not a morning person, and I have to hear about the 'horrors of the morning' for the rest of the weekend, followed by "I'm never doing this again!"

As for *why* I love going out on Black Friday, it's just tradition. When I was younger, my grandma used to drag us all to Value City back when they had the free $20 gift certificates for the first 200 customers. I remember standing out in the cold and the snow, freezing my butt off for $20, which, as a kid, is difficult to spend in somewhere like Value City. Now, nothing's free, and people are lined up around the block by the time the stores open. I've learned to function for a whole day on only 2 1/2 hours of sleep after continuing the tradition on my own for so many years now!

My sis and I used to go with my mom years ago. That's back when most people stayed in bed. Most of the stores didn't open until 7 and we'd be done shopping by noon when the stores were just starting to get busy. Ahh, the good ol' days...

dadof3girls
Black Friday Pro

Postby dadof3girls » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:23 pm

The first couple of years my wife and I went we did it together. Wal-mart/kmart/shopko/pennies' etc. Then the last 2 years we have decided to drive up separate and go to different stores at like say 5 or 6 then we meet for breakfast and talk about the deals we got. We got 3 girls now, 5/3 and 1 so it gets a little tougher each year. It might just be me this year. :(

Raiderchic29
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Raiderchic29 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:09 pm

The first thing I go with buddies....We are all usually on a mission that most of us want different things at different places, so we all decided who will go where and get what. Like say 3 of us want something at a certain store then the person going there will try to get 3 things while the other person is at a different store getting however many they need. Works great in the morning since you can not be 5 places at once. After the big rush in the morning I then go by myself later on in the day just to look and see if there are any good deals left. Kind of nice after a busy morning to know that you can relax and shop instead of rushing around making sure you get the good deal and exactely what you need. :wink:

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 pm

The past 2 years me and two of my friends went, what I like about that is it gives you someone to talk to while you are waiting 10 hours, and they can hold your spot in line while you go to the bathroom or get some food. This year though, I may go alone.

Unless there is someone else out there that is a hardcore BF shopper who is planning on going to Concord who wants some company :P

rshal22
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rshal22 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

I always bring my hubby! He loves the excitement just as much as me. He gets on one side of the store and me on the other or if we only have 1 thing to get, he'll hold a spot in line. We have camped out, but it was for my daughter & son-in-law a lap from us, so we got them to camp with us. It wasn't bad. Actually, we had a lot of fun.

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Re: Always go with a buddy, if you can.

Postby iKitsune » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 pm

The Zach101 wrote:
mikeculley wrote:Yes, a buddy will help. But you have to know how to use your buddy when you are both in a store and get seperated. A simple solution most people think of for communication would be a cell phone, but if you haven't checked if your phone works in that store before you go to it you just lost your communication tool. Hmm, didn't think about that one did you?

Mike

Try Walkie Talkies becuase you dont have to go through the whole dialing and ringing process plus they might not hear it ring so Walkie Talkies is what I use but you may want to make sure no one in the imediate line behind you or infront are going to be useing the same channel.

We used Nextels last year. You can get a pair of Boost Mobile i425s with $5 worth of service for the price of decent FRS walkie-talkies, and you'll never go out of range of each other.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Always like at least someone or 2 - good to have someone watch your back - yes there are crazies out there.... However, make sure they are up to the challenge.

If they whine and complain and are too slow...ditch 'em!

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Based on photographs, last year I started out with 4 people I worked with, and ended up with a huge group consisting of at least 20 members.

dita978
Black Friday Pro

Postby dita978 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 pm

I always have to go alone because everyone I know won't touch black friday lol. It does get boring and I always wish I could find someone as crazy as I am to go with.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:56 pm

iKitsune wrote:Based on photographs, last year I started out with 4 people I worked with, and ended up with a huge group consisting of at least 20 members.

your 4 member crew (which i thought was 6 or so lol)

and me/sean's crew plus parents and the couple behind us.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:05 pm

dita978 wrote:I always have to go alone because everyone I know won't touch black friday lol. It does get boring and I always wish I could find someone as crazy as I am to go with.

If you were in NH I'd go, haha

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”