Go it alone or with a buddy?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

mommybambi
Black Friday Pro

Go it alone or with a buddy?

Postby mommybambi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm debating which I prefer. This is the first year that hubby is scheduled off on BF. He usually has to beg someone to cover for him. Usually I expect him to stay home with the kiddos but I did take him 2 years ago. While I like the companionship while waiting in line and at certain points later in the day, he also dragged me down. Hubby has a very different shopping style than me. If he can't find somehting, he'll grab something close even if it is not on sale. I also lost him at the mall and he delayed our rush to the next store that was opening. He also starts complaining a lot about lines and crowds and nagging to go home and questioning my purchases. Maybe if I had a different buddy it would be better, but I tend to think I do better alone. How about all of you, do you prefer a buddy or to go it alone?

sweetdiggity
Black Friday Pro

Postby sweetdiggity » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm going to start going alone, unless I meet a shopping buddy who is as dedicated to BF as I am. lol

I have always went with at least one person. It's nice to share the fun of Black Friday with someone, but there are some cons.

I like to get to at least one store before it opens. I like getting to rush in with everyone, etc. That's part of the BF experience! The people who want to go with me, though, are casual about it, and prefer to get to the stores after 9:30am!! :shock:
They get a few things and want to leave. We might go to one more store, but that's it. They're just not that into it.

After waiting a whole year for BF to come, I could shop all freakin day, so when they want to go home, it bums me out.
People interfere with my shopping. lol

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm

are you one of the BF shoppers that camp out in line? If so go to the first store together but in seperate cars. Then you have options to think about while your camped out all night.

1: Both camp out and then split up and go to different stores after the big rush
2: both camp out and then go to your next destination together.(leaving the 2nd car and pick it up later.)
3: both camp out and if one of you just wants to go home after, you can.
4: both camp out but one dosnt make it the whole night, they can just leave.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

DotCom
Black Friday Pro

Postby DotCom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm

I believe if you really want to have a successful run, you need a partner. When it comes to using the restroom, putting away chairs, etc. prior to opening or hot chocolate runs, it's beneficial.

mommyofanangelbaby
Black Friday Pro

Postby mommyofanangelbaby » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:46 pm

I go with "a" friend, which is what I now prefer. Getting an entire group together so that yoou all leave out at the same time is impossible. It will be my friend and I this year and we are both BF addicts, so it wont be a problem.

DotCom
Black Friday Pro

Postby DotCom » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:07 am

mommyofanangelbaby wrote:I go with "a" friend, which is what I now prefer. Getting an entire group together so that yoou all leave out at the same time is impossible. It will be my friend and I this year and we are both BF addicts, so it wont be a problem.

I agree, go with "a" friend. Otherwise, by the time you get the whole group to actually get out their doors, the line grows longer and longer. Just tell the others that you'll meet them there. Just don't let them cut in line, or else you'll find yourself kicked out of line.

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

A single buddy is the best way to go IMO...

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:59 am

There is less confusion and potential for people showing up late with only one other person to worry about. You also really want it to be someone who you know is into Black Friday the same way you are. When we started doing Black Friday a decade ago there were 3-5 of us each year. Now it's just myself and my buddy Bryan the past 5-6 years and it's always worked out well. I did the solo BF a few years ago, and it was ok, just boring tho.

Just some random thoughts :)

-Toph in Blacksburg

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:23 pm

The more people you have in your group the more you can cover areas in the store
For example let's say I got with 4 buddys and we all want the same movies, games, memory cards, Cds one of us will go toward the memory card the other toward the games the other toward cds and the other towards the dvds it reallis better if you go with a friend or buddy lots of laughs and talking about past times

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:04 am

I go alone due to not having to wait on anybody or anything. Also, the stuff I need is usually only doorbusters anyway.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

mbutchg62
Black Friday Pro

Postby mbutchg62 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:07 am

I go with somebody. I found the value in this last year when it took me 30 minutes to back out of my parking stall into the parking lot traffic. I had my buddy stand in front of a car so I could open up a space. Also, we split up in the stores, to "divide and conquer"!

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 pm

I say group. especially if your camping

our crew has grown > 10 .
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:55 am

I guess I should be thankful that my mother, sister and myself are addicts... It definitely helps. The hubby is off this year to watch the munchkin, and I'll be up and out scott free. With the three of us, we usually use the "divide and conquer" method. It especially helps when one person stands in line and the others collect the odds and ends. Thank goodness Momma Dukes got the Yukon XL, we're gonna need it this year!! Even if all 3 of us drive! I would recommend taking one or maybe 2 people if you're all on the same page, and take multiple vehicles.

sttss002
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sttss002 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:09 pm

I like going with my sister, she is as hardcore as I am. We brought some friends along last year and that was a bummer, they didn't care one way or another. Won't happen again this year. Just me and my sis are going. Can't wait.

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Definitely alone, for me. I can get into and out of stores quicker than anyone I know. My mom will sometimes go, but she's really not a morning person, and I have to hear about the 'horrors of the morning' for the rest of the weekend, followed by "I'm never doing this again!"

As for *why* I love going out on Black Friday, it's just tradition. When I was younger, my grandma used to drag us all to Value City back when they had the free $20 gift certificates for the first 200 customers. I remember standing out in the cold and the snow, freezing my butt off for $20, which, as a kid, is difficult to spend in somewhere like Value City. Now, nothing's free, and people are lined up around the block by the time the stores open. I've learned to function for a whole day on only 2 1/2 hours of sleep after continuing the tradition on my own for so many years now!

andi91rn
Black Friday Newbie

Postby andi91rn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:14 pm

I used to go alone. But, I had my mom help me last year & it was great. While I waited in line at electronics for the cheap laptop, my mom scooped up all the doorbuster deals at Wal-Mart that were released at 5am. I couldn't have done both by myself. She also held my spot while I shopped & looked at some other deals while waiting for 2 hours. She had never done BF before & really wasn't thrilled to be out, but boy she was crazier that me getting items & putting them in the cart once 5am came & they released everything. I was able to get the Dell laptop for $400 & the Wii, plus a bunch more stuff. Also, look to see if they have a cashier in their automotive dept. We were in & out in about 15min. once they released the items. No one thinks to check this area to check out. Sometimes the sporting goods area is gos to check out too. Happy shopping!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”