Which stores to go ?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

hoopla
Black Friday Pro

Which stores to go ?

Postby hoopla » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:59 pm

I believe if you are sitting outside for whole night to get a piece of electronics because it is cheap, then it is better to wait for a few months and you will be able to get the same deal or better in couple of months.

But if you are in line for the fun, excitement, thrill of it, then do not miss the chance, and go ahead and be a part of it.

If you are not into night-out kind of guy (like me) but still want to be part of fun, then you can go to stores which are not so popular. The popular stores are Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart etc. You can try stores like Ace, Walgreens, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, Sears, etc I have had very good luck with these stores. I usually go to these store 5 minutes before they open in morning. Usually there is no line.

The things which I want from Best buy, or circuit city, I just wait for couploe of months and I find a better deal elsewhere. e.g. Two years ago there were Plasma was hot item. I could find one better/cheaper three months later online. There was 22'' LCD monitor for sale for at Best buy for 218. I could find same one online for 213 (including shipping) online 4 months later. But there is no fun in that .

More over the laptops and computer on sale on TG are bottom of the line and need lots of upgrades to be useful. Eg.g the will have 256 MB of RAM. You will have to put more RAM to make it useful. And when you go to upgrade it, you will find that you will have to pull out existing RAM and then put all new RAM makeing it much costlier. So be careful there.

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:26 pm

This is my rule of thumb.
Look over all ads and find what you want the most. factor in if you have other things you want and if you can get multiple early bird items from one store. Know if its a good deal or not, dont just buy it because it says its on sale. Most of the stores have laptops on sale for example, I may see 1 or 2 that are solid computers for the price but people tend to want the cheapest one.

This may be just my experiance but AVOID Circuit City at all costs unless you plan to be one of the first 20 people in line. The one near me only allows a few people in the store at a time. They are allowed to take their time and browse the store looking for what they want. When one of them leaves they let someone else in. Oh and they only had one register open.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

tnt17
Black Friday Pro

Postby tnt17 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:

This may be just my experiance but AVOID Circuit City at all costs unless you plan to be one of the first 20 people in line. The one near me only allows a few people in the store at a time. They are allowed to take their time and browse the store looking for what they want. When one of them leaves they let someone else in. Oh and they only had one register open.

I saw this last year @ C.C. We were 24th in line or so(started camping at 7pm Thanksgiving night) and we were the first group (first 25 got to go in) through the doors. However, 30 minutes or so before they opened, they gave out the 'hot' item vouchers. These were for the laptops and pc's mainly, and gps units i think. They were gone by the 10th person. One group of 4 in front took all 4 vouchers for the laptops.
I think i may do Target or Sears. Or even the new HH Gregg here, i had my wife wait in line while i ran over to HH Gregg @ 3am and only 1 guy was 'camping'.
Only things i'm looking for is a Wii and 32" lcd tv. Maybe a laptop. But i doubt i'll find a wii, and/or could buy that between now and Christmas or even after. Not in a big hurry for it. Same with the laptop.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Yeah CC is tough to get into. Home Depot had a great deal on LCD TV's a couple of years ago but the employees got to them first.

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:53 pm

OP:

But yeah, who wants horrendously outdated technology these days :)

Seriously, people wouldn't line up if the gettin' wasn't that good.

Last year I arrived at my local best buy at 10:00 AM Thanksgiving day and was first in line, simply because I'm not the idiot complaining type who thinks its everyone elses fault if I strole up there at 3:00 AM looking for tickets and I leave empty handed, and we STILL had thanksgiving dinner, in line, laughing like true champions :P (The next person showed up 15 minutes ahead of me and the line was roughly 400-500 deep when the tickets rolled out.

That said.

The deals were smoking, generally on current tech and things many people would want like maybe for christmas?

I picked up a DS kit for my girlfriend (amongst other things) which was a pretty insane value.

Then I went back and played Santa Clause and handed out some tickets to the late commers with the best story.

I think I gave a laptop voucher to one who said her kid needed one yadda yadda so that was halfway decent :)

Atleast I know you won't be there in the same line :)

kelmckinley
Black Friday Amateur

Price Match!

Postby kelmckinley » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 am

Don't forget to price match at stores that do price matching. Last year I got Walmart to price match the Zune that Radio Shack had on sale for $99. Some stores won't pm on that day but you find a few who will and less hassle in lines! :)

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Re: Price Match!

Postby AshFrash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:50 pm

kelmckinley wrote:Don't forget to price match at stores that do price matching. Last year I got Walmart to price match the Zune that Radio Shack had on sale for $99. Some stores won't pm on that day but you find a few who will and less hassle in lines! :)

This is exactly what I'm going to try for. 2 years ago, I got to Best Buy at 3:45 and there were already 500 people in front of me!! (Silly me, shoulda been there the night before!!) So I darted over to Sears and got them to price match the TV I was going to get at BB.. Last year, they decided they weren't price matching the early bird prices... A-holes! We'll see what happens.. I might be able to squeeze something out of them!! I have a 1 year old, and I have to shop around his schedule this year.. Don't know how easily 2am will come after Turkey Day this year!!

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:59 pm

AshFrash wrote:
kelmckinley wrote:Don't forget to price match at stores that do price matching. Last year I got Walmart to price match the Zune that Radio Shack had on sale for $99. Some stores won't pm on that day but you find a few who will and less hassle in lines! :)

This is exactly what I'm going to try for. 2 years ago, I got to Best Buy at 3:45 and there were already 500 people in front of me!! (Silly me, shoulda been there the night before!!) So I darted over to Sears and got them to price match the TV I was going to get at BB.. Last year, they decided they weren't price matching the early bird prices... A-holes! We'll see what happens.. I might be able to squeeze something out of them!! I have a 1 year old, and I have to shop around his schedule this year.. Don't know how easily 2am will come after Turkey Day this year!!

my mom's the kind of mother that will put up a fight. if she wants to PM something, then by god she won't leave til it gets PMed.

unless its written clearly to her that they CANNOT PM an early-bird special, then she'll fight to get it matched. lol.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

mdoshi
Black Friday Pro

Postby mdoshi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

AshFrash wrote:

That sucks that Sears didn't price match for you. I was able to get the price match for a Sharp 46" 1080p TV that was $1000 AND got 10% back. Plus, since I have their credit card, I got a $40 gift card because they had some sort of promotion back then. I guess it depends on the individual store.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

i would imagine it would be at a particular store's discretion on whether or not they want to PM.

working in retail i know that we're technically not allowed to do alot of things that we do anyway just for convenience and customer satisfaction.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 pm

I'll certainly try this year... We are moving next week, so I really want a new TV (3rd year in a row! UGH!) to put in my new bedroom. I am NOT buying for my Monster-in-law this year though.... (Just had to get in there!!) Thanks for the tips, guys!

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 pm

i think alot of people in my area stopped going because of high gas prices .... for the past 3 years ive gone around 3 am and im always about 25 - 30th in line and have always gotten what i wanted ......

last year we stopped by target just to check it out and there was no one when we got there ...

tnt17
Black Friday Pro

Postby tnt17 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:35 pm

thenuke1 wrote:i think alot of people in my area stopped going because of high gas prices .... for the past 3 years ive gone around 3 am and im always about 25 - 30th in line and have always gotten what i wanted ......

last year we stopped by target just to check it out and there was no one when we got there ...

Target is more of a 5am wait to a 6am rush kind of store. Even HH Gregg was dead (1 person from 2am to 5am) when i did my 'tour' while wife held Circuit city spot in line.
Tour consisted of BB, HH Gregg, Sears (and mall attached) Target, and Kmart. Also a office depot side by side to C.C where we camped, 1 guy cuddled up all by himself to 5am then was joined by a 2nd person.

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:05 am

I've got to get my kicks in while I can.. I'll be standing in line at Toys R Us here in a couple years, I'm sure! Damn kids!

Still wondering why the days seem to go by so slow now.. :(

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 pm

I used to always have phenomenal luck being one of the first in line at the local Toys "R" Us. Back when they used to nationally open at 6, ours used to sneak open at 5am to keep the lines down. I remember being at the head of the line one year with only getting there at either 3:15 or 3:30am.

Ever since the Wii came out, TRU's lines have gotten bad. I'm not sure if there's an influx of people in my area or if everyone's just die-hard gamers out trying to get their hands on a Wii on Black Friday, but TRU's not the same experience as it used to be a few years ago.

Meijer's a good place to hit very early on Thanksgiving for those specials. Their ad for that sale is usually online either the week before or the Sunday of that week, and you can get some pretty decent bargains. Two years ago, I dragged my mom with me (because of their buy 1 get 1 free sale on shoes), and she had an awful time. My brother wanted a video game, but their Electronics line stretched from that department all the way to the front of the store and when she asked an associate for that game (which wasn't even on SALE, and the associate happened to be right there), he refused to give it to her and told her that she had to stand in line. Well, she wasn't too happy and complained to the GM. I went alone this last year, and found that the entire atmosphere was different. Everything was organized, and there weren't any lines anywhere. I go to the one in Sandusky, OH, and I usually swing past the Super Wal-Mart down the street on my way back, which is always dead. My mom and I went there after the Meijer experience that year, and she got the same game with no hassle.

One last tip: It's always great to subscribe to the site's mailing list for ad updates, because you can spend WEEKS plotting out your perfect course of action as to what you want and where you want to get it. One thing to remember, though, is that a lot of the time, advertised DVDs for dirt-cheap prices (Target's $3 movies, for example) are FULL-SCREEN versions. It's infrequent to find a widescreen movie for that kind of price, unless it's the only way it was released.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”