Switch bundles this year will be the old Switch, with the weaker battery

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Switch bundles this year will be the old Switch, with the weaker battery

Postby Ryman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I am sure everyone here already knows this but almost all of the Switch bundles this year are going to be the old Switch models, with the shorter battery life. If you don't plan to take the Switch anywhere (I have a Switch and I only play it on my TV, it never goes handheld) this doesn't matter and you can ignore me. But if you plan to take it on long car rides or out and about you might want to consider just paying for the newer 01 model. (On the other hand, if you force a shorter battery life then you or your child will be forced to stop playing after 5 hours instead of 9... #2stepsahead ;))

In addition I agree with Forbes that the game they're offering isn't great (if you already have a Wii U Mario Kart 8 is the Mario Kart 8 from that system, just with all its DLC Nintendo released after releasing the initial game). I watch deals for video games (games are expensive! I need a cheaper hobby) and I've seen Mario Kart 8 fall as low as ~$45, new, at Wal-Mart.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 5565066f43
Offer begins 11/28; available while supplies last. See participating retailers for details. This bundle offers a $59.99 value off MSRP. Actual discount may vary. Includes original Nintendo Switch model HAC-001, battery performance ranges from 2.5 – 6.5 hours. For more information, see support.nintendo.com/switch/battery.
from https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/deals/

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Switch bundles this year will be the old Switch, with the weaker battery

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I am planning on getting my 8 year old one, and as of now it seems Kohl's has the best deal on them. - I will definitely check into the newer model though. Either way, I plan on getting him the accessories which include a car charger. His Nintendo DS stays on him constantly.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ryman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:59 am

If you're just going to keep it constantly plugged in then don't worry and get the bundle! Nintendo never really does big sales (at least that I've seen) so that's about as good as it gets, deal wise :) I just know some people carry their Switches around and will play them in line or waiting at the dentist's office or whatnot (I'm too afraid I'd drop mine, ha).

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks for the information. I am planning on getting my 8 year old one, and as of now it seems Kohl's has the best deal on them. - I will definitely check into the newer model though. Either way, I plan on getting him the accessories which include a car charger. His Nintendo DS stays on him constantly.
If he will use it mostly as a handheld, it may be beneficial to consider the Switch Lite. It's basically the successor to the 3ds.

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ryman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:20 pm

That is true! Though if you think you might ever hook it up to the TV the Switch Lite can't do that (as far as I know, anyway). But if you only play in handheld then the Switch Lite is definitely worth looking at :)

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 pm

I just went ahead and ordered one on Amazon. It's the same price as the Black Friday price everywhere else, except it doesn't have the digital download. I would rather him have a better battery life than a game he'll never play most likely.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ryman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:08 pm

I think that was the right call; if you're going to play it mostly in handheld a long battery life is critical! Plus, I've already seen MK8 drop to $49 (right now it's that price at Wal-Mart, which means it's probably that price at Amazon as well) so the bundle isn't quite the steal Nintendo makes it out to be.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:07 pm

I think that was the right call; if you're going to play it mostly in handheld a long battery life is critical! Plus, I've already seen MK8 drop to $49 (right now it's that price at Wal-Mart, which means it's probably that price at Amazon as well) so the bundle isn't quite the steal Nintendo makes it out to be.
I'd rather him have the better battery life as he'll be playing it on an airplane often, as well as rides to/fro school. It's worth it to me to pay more and have a better product. Thanks for the information about all of this. I had no idea.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”