The chip card: 2016 version of writing a check?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

How to pay faster at the checkout this year?

Pay with cash
50%
Pay with Chip Card
50%
Pay with Check
No votes

Total votes: 14

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

The chip card: 2016 version of writing a check?

Postby blueredzone » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:25 pm

So with the evolution of the Chip Card being used by so many merchants this year. What will be the fastest way to pay and get out?

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Re: The chip card: 2016 version of writing a check?

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:38 pm

blueredzone wrote:So with the evolution of the Chip Card being used by so many merchants this year. What will be the fastest way to pay and get out?

My bank hasn't converted to chip cards yet, so maybe it's because I haven't used it but I don't see how it would really be much slower than a swipe card. You just stick it in the bottom and leave it there during the transaction instead of swiping and putting it immediately back in your wallet...big deal...

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:42 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:
blueredzone wrote:So with the evolution of the Chip Card being used by so many merchants this year. What will be the fastest way to pay and get out?

My bank hasn't converted to chip cards yet, so maybe it's because I haven't used it but I don't see how it would really be much slower than a swipe card. You just stick it in the bottom and leave it there during the transaction instead of swiping and putting it immediately back in your wallet...big deal...

Some people don't understand the fact that you can insert your card while being checked out. They think you have to wait until the cashier is done before inserting their card.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Chip is slower, but I still think its faster then those other 2. You put it in and wait for it to process - there is nothing to do but wait until it gives you a rude beep (not a soft charm, but an error sound) for you to take it out. A lot of times people don't put it in far enough so they have to keep shoving it in until it works. <insert dirty joke> It does take longer than just swiping. But it really doesn't take that long. But its still annoying to have to wait. :lol:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:11 pm

I really don't think it's that much slower. A little yes... but I still have to answer a million damn questions on the screen no matter if i use a chip or non-chip card.

And best believe if I'm using cash then I'm digging out exact change as well lol

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:12 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:

Some people don't understand the fact that you can insert your card while being checked out. They think you have to wait until the cashier is done before inserting their card.

for some reason i don't even swipe before they tell me the total. I think just in case something rings up wrong and my card isn't already processing before I can say "ehhhh that's not right!"

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:41 am

bfaddict wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:My bank hasn't converted to chip cards yet, so maybe it's because I haven't used it but I don't see how it would really be much slower than a swipe card. You just stick it in the bottom and leave it there during the transaction instead of swiping and putting it immediately back in your wallet...big deal...

for some reason i don't even swipe before they tell me the total. I think just in case something rings up wrong and my card isn't already processing before I can say "ehhhh that's not right!"

This, exactly. :)

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Depending on total and cashier's ability, cash should be the fastest option.

However, it isn't the safest. I haven't shopped with cash for big ticket items in years. Hubs still does, but not me. I don't carry much more than $20 - $50 in cash ever.

Plus, with chip cards, it's always the "Do I put it in the bottom? Does the chip feature work?" There are lots of times they have the chip reader but not the ability. Pain during the transition.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 pm

bfaddict wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:My bank hasn't converted to chip cards yet, so maybe it's because I haven't used it but I don't see how it would really be much slower than a swipe card. You just stick it in the bottom and leave it there during the transaction instead of swiping and putting it immediately back in your wallet...big deal...

When I've swiped before the scanning was done it would give me a wait screen until done then ask debit/credit and signature so it didn't really matter if you swiped early

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”