Amazon Echo

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

christa778
Black Friday Newbie

Amazon Echo

Postby christa778 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:04 am

I saw that Amazon has their Echo on sale right now for $140 .... Do you guys think it will go any lower than that for BF?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Amazon Echo

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 am

The dot is on sale at Staples for $40 on BF. (Amazon it's $50. although may drop on BF)

The dot can do everything the Echo can.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 am

BTW the only difference between the Dot and the Echo, are the speakers.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am

This is dumb but, is the echo/ dot mainly used as a Bluetooth speaker and to read audio books? I'm just not sure what its doing that's so special for the price.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:45 am

SantaShopper wrote:This is dumb but, is the echo/ dot mainly used as a Bluetooth speaker and to read audio books? I'm just not sure what its doing that's so special for the price.

I use mine for everything. It controls my house. I listen to music on it, it gives me the news of a morning, it gives me the weather, it controls the lights in my house, the outlets, the temperature of my house, orders pizzas for me, places orders on Amazon for me. It calls bingo when we play bingo or plays Jeopardy with me. I love it.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:47 am

teknoge3k wrote:
SantaShopper wrote:This is dumb but, is the echo/ dot mainly used as a Bluetooth speaker and to read audio books? I'm just not sure what its doing that's so special for the price.

I use mine for everything. It controls my house. I listen to music on it, it gives me the news of a morning, it gives me the weather, it controls the lights in my house, the outlets, the temperature of my house, orders pizzas for me, places orders on Amazon for me. It calls bingo when we play bingo or plays Jeopardy with me. I love it.

Do you need special adapters for it to control the lights? Also do you need prime for most of its functions?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:49 am

SantaShopper wrote:Do you need special adapters for it to control the lights? Also do you need prime for most of its functions?

You need the Philips Hue system for the lights (or another wireless lighting system) and special outlets as well. As far as Prime, I have had Prime for 10 years so I don't know what life is like without Prime. You don't need it for most of the things I wouldn't imagine. For the music and stuff I would say you would need it. But, why would one not have Prime? :wink:

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am

teknoge3k wrote:
SantaShopper wrote:Do you need special adapters for it to control the lights? Also do you need prime for most of its functions?

You need the Philips Hue system for the lights (or another wireless lighting system) and special outlets as well. As far as Prime, I have had Prime for 10 years so I don't know what life is like without Prime. You don't need it for most of the things I wouldn't imagine. For the music and stuff I would say you would need it. But, why would one not have Prime? :wink:

I think I'm the only one here without Prime! I need it, with as much as I use Amazon...but the Echo does sound nice.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:02 pm

SantaShopper wrote:I think I'm the only one here without Prime! I need it, with as much as I use Amazon...but the Echo does sound nice.

I've ordered enough stuff last week alone to cover Prime for a year. Had I had to pay for shipping for everything I bought last week I am sure it would of cost more than Prime. If not, close to it.

Keep in mind in my house, we order EVERYTHING from Amazon. We do not go to stores to shop. Ever. For anything. Clothes, electronics, food, toys, tools, you name it. It comes from Amazon.

I do think most people here have Amazon.

Like I mentioned in an above reply, Staples has the Dot for $40 on BF. I paid $50 from Amazon on a pre-order. I have had Echo since last year but ordered 4 Dots to give as gifts this Christmas. The Dots do the exact same thing as the Echo, they just don't have the big speaker Echo does.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

christa778
Black Friday Newbie

Postby christa778 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:20 pm

I didn't realize that the Dot will do everything the Echo can! Thanks for passing that info along!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:31 pm

christa778 wrote:I didn't realize that the Dot will do everything the Echo can! Thanks for passing that info along!

You're welcome! The only difference is the speaker size.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 pm

does it play music from your amazon account or can you hook it up to your phone (like an iphone) to play your itunes library?

i'm thinking i might get my brother one of these for xmas, he likes gadgety stuff like that. and maybe my dad too... and maybe me!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:40 pm

bfaddict wrote:does it play music from your amazon account or can you hook it up to your phone (like an iphone) to play your itunes library?

i'm thinking i might get my brother one of these for xmas, he likes gadgety stuff like that. and maybe my dad too... and maybe me!

It plays music from the Amazon library

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:44 pm

teknoge3k wrote:The dot is on sale at Staples for $40 on BF. (Amazon it's $50. although may drop on BF)

The dot can do everything the Echo can.

I just wanted to add to this that Best Buy is also offering the Dot for $40. I'm sure Amazon will do the same!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:24 pm

SantaShopper wrote:I just wanted to add to this that Best Buy is also offering the Dot for $40. I'm sure Amazon will do the same!

I'd pay $100 for it before I'd by crap from Best Buy.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”