2016 Spreadsheet of all the Black Friday deals

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Re: 2016 Spreadsheet of all the Black Friday deals

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:44 pm

I removed the password protection from the file. I think that the previous issue is unlikely to occur again, so the password is no longer needed.

It ended up being a lot of work having a password. During the busy times I would get 10+ PMs an hour asking for it. I would say about 97% of people asking for the password were new forum members-- accounts only a few minutes old.

The spreadsheet currently does not include any ads in the Weekly Circular category. I've always omitted those sorts of ads since most of them in the past were just normal weekly ads that happened to be for Thanksgiving week-- nothing special. However, this year's Costco weekly circular looks more like a Black Friday type of ad. I might add these adscans to the spreadsheet.

rlmiddle
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rlmiddle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:42 am

I am a slickdeal user who has been using Shopper X's excel file for a number of years without knowing that someone else taken it from him. I want to first thank Shopper X for putting together the excel file for all of these years, because to me it is by far one of the most useful shopping tools I have ever used. I also want to commend him for still posting and and letting people use it without a password. The slickdeals site has recognized that it has been taken from here and posted on that site and has pointed users back to this site that would like to get this information again for this year's black friday shopping.

Thank you again, Shopper X for help all of us black friday shoppers this year and in years past.

Sim31
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Sim31 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:20 pm

I have used Excel spreadsheets in the past several years but this spreadsheet is not propergating properly in Microsoft Office 2016 format. Is there something im doing wrong? Its not showing where you can categorize the stores or what type of items you want to view, like electronics or toys, etc. Any suggestions?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Sim31 wrote:I have used Excel spreadsheets in the past several years but this spreadsheet is not propergating properly in Microsoft Office 2016 format. Is there something im doing wrong? Its not showing where you can categorize the stores or what type of items you want to view, like electronics or toys, etc. Any suggestions?

You can filter your results and it will work fine.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Sim, if you post more details about the problem, we will try to help. From the short description you gave, I'm not sure what exact problem you are seeing.

(Someone asked me about adding a "Current Price" field to the spreadsheet. For now, I don't think that I'll add it. I don't quite understand what that field represents or from where bfads.net is getting the value. I'm also afraid that the information might become "stale" and not useful. I'll consider adding it for next year.)

Sim31
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Sim31 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Here is the spreadsheet from here. BFAds.net See how its all cluttered and there is no selection of what stores to choose from? Point being, it could be that its not configuring correctly if this was made with a older version of Excel or another spreadsheet program thus having a endless list of just trying to find what I may want, example, if I just wanted to see Walmart and then ONLY there Video game selection or whichever it may be.

Here is the one from Slickdeals that somebody has compiled, as you can tell, I have included where it shows a drop down list of how you can select which store(s) you can pick from and etc.

Using Microsoft Office 2016 (Excel) I hope this clears up what I was trying to explain earlier.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 pm

The one on SlickDeals is the one that Shopper X made. It was stolen from him, and posted there.

All you need to do is filter Walmart, then filter whatever you're looking for. That's what's being done in the screenshot you posted.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks, Sim. I now see what you are saying.

1. The spreadsheet is cluttered because the column widths are narrow. You should be able to click and drag the columns to increase their widths to make things easier to read.
2. The spreadsheet does not have the drop-down AutoFilter lists enabled. You can enable them by following the instructions in these support articles. (The steps are basically just Data -> Filter)
https://support.office.com/en-US/articl ... AB61133D92
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US

The reason why my spreadsheet has these issues and the other one doesn't is because my spreadsheet is in CSV format and the other is in Excel format. Having the spreadsheet in Excel format allows it to look prettier and have AutoFilter enabled out-of-the-box. The reason why I used CSV instead is because it allows the spreadsheet to be used by more people-- not just those who have Excel.

Please let me know if you have further trouble adjusting column widths or enabling AutoFilter.

Sim31
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Sim31 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

teknoge3k wrote:The one on SlickDeals is the one that Shopper X made. It was stolen from him, and posted there.

All you need to do is filter Walmart, then filter whatever you're looking for. That's what's being done in the screenshot you posted.

Thanks to you and Shopper X. I finally figured it out, I use to use Excel back in the older versions several years ago but with how everything has changed and how infrequently I use it anymore, I have did the filter and holy behold it worked like a charm! Thanks to you both and I appreciate all your all's help and may I add thank you for providing such useful resources for BF ads and the spreadsheets and the continuous updating!

sdbf2014
Black Friday Newbie

Postby sdbf2014 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:49 pm

teknoge3k wrote:The one on SlickDeals is the one that Shopper X made. It was stolen from him, and posted there.

teknoge3k, this is no longer true as of November 16. I am the one generating the list on Slickdeals.net. I wrote my own code to do it, and my forum post over there explicitly states, "No, I did not steal it from anywhere. I have a different method of generating it than Shopper X."

His screenshot of my sheet is accurate: I distribute the file as an XLSX, not a CSV like it is done here. I provide formatting and filtering to people as part of the list.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”