The big BIG TV debate

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: The big BIG TV debate

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 am

I'm itching to buy a new tv to get one slightly bigger and a smart tv but if you guys say there will be better deals around superbowl time then i will try to wait!

I currently have a sony so I don't really want a cheapo brand but I'd rather stay around the $500 (or less) range for a 50"+
So would samsung and LG be the way to go??

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:09 am

Superbowl time is definitely the best time for a TV. Most of the TVs on BF are cheap TVs. Not all, but most.

I would personally recommend Samsung, but LG isn't bad either.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:06 pm

So I won't have any problem finding a 50"+ samsung for less than $500 around superbowl? $400 would actually be more ideal.

I did some googling on last year's superbowl deals and it seems like everyone advertes the $1k+ tvs as the "good deals"

maybe 55" + i think i currently have a 46" so 50" doesn't seem like much of a size increase.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:35 pm

bfaddict wrote:So I won't have any problem finding a 50"+ samsung for less than $500 around superbowl? $400 would actually be more ideal.

I did some googling on last year's superbowl deals and it seems like everyone advertes the $1k+ tvs as the "good deals"

maybe 55" + i think i currently have a 46" so 50" doesn't seem like much of a size increase.

You are likely to find good prices in Jan as well, it's a bigger TV sale date than BF which is more of an everything sale date.

Measure your room. If you cannot sit over 8-10 feet from the tv (minimum) then you better stay at 65" max.

BTW, going from 46 to 55 increases the tv area (W x L) by 40%.

Prices tend to jump once you go past 60" so think how big you want first.

I have a big room, my couch is from 12-18 feet from the TV. I have a 70" and it's perfect.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:44 pm

bfaddict wrote:So I won't have any problem finding a 50"+ samsung for less than $500 around superbowl? $400 would actually be more ideal.

Last BF I figured out the best models available, skipped 4K ones, narrowed down my choices (cnet.com has some great forums and reviews) and found the best prices.. which for me was at Sears, believe it or not.

Sears only has a single page ad on tv's this year. Best I see is a 55" Samsung for $600 - UN55KU6300F
https://www.bfads.net/Item/Sears-Black- ... DTV/358177

SKIP curved tv's please.

Also note, again, most of these sales are 2015 closeouts.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 am

Kinda random question about tvs... but on the smart tv's. Can you download 'apps' like you can on the roku and stuff like that? For example, I use the CBS app on my roku and amazon stick a lot - will I be able to view it on a smart tv or will i still need my roku/amazon stick?

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am

bfaddict wrote:Kinda random question about tvs... but on the smart tv's. Can you download 'apps' like you can on the roku and stuff like that? For example, I use the CBS app on my roku and amazon stick a lot - will I be able to view it on a smart tv or will i still need my roku/amazon stick?

I have a Samsung.

There are apps/channels to add from their smart store (all free I believe). All the streaming suspects are there by default (amazon, netflix, hulu, etc) however I think Roku wan'ts you to buy their sticks, etc so I think you will have to plug it into the back. Just make sure you get a HD Roku (HDMI) so it's a good picture.

I don't recall seeing Roku, but I have a stick (non HD) if I needed it.

Anyone at home who can check their smart tv for a native Roku streaming app?

But if your roku has ALL THE APPS you want, then just get a HD awesome roku and a "dumb" tv, save $ and spend it on a great picture tv, one that isn't smart

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 pm

blue3715 wrote:
bfaddict wrote:Kinda random question about tvs... but on the smart tv's. Can you download 'apps' like you can on the roku and stuff like that? For example, I use the CBS app on my roku and amazon stick a lot - will I be able to view it on a smart tv or will i still need my roku/amazon stick?

I have a Samsung.

There are apps/channels to add from their smart store (all free I believe). All the streaming suspects are there by default (amazon, netflix, hulu, etc) however I think Roku wan'ts you to buy their sticks, etc so I think you will have to plug it into the back. Just make sure you get a HD Roku (HDMI) so it's a good picture.

But if your roku has ALL THE APPS you want, then just get a HD awesome roku and a "dumb" tv, save $ and spend it on a great picture tv, one that isn't smart

can you get the CBS app on your tv?? That's what I'm wondering. I want to know if I can get the CBS app on a smart tv WITHOUT using a Roku device.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:21 pm

bfaddict wrote:
blue3715 wrote:

I have a Samsung.

can you get the CBS app on your tv?? That's what I'm wondering. I want to know if I can get the CBS app on a smart tv WITHOUT using a Roku device.

Site doesn't seem to indicate it is on Smart tvs: https://www.cbs.com/all-access/

Seems to be a NO as this note mentions... https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... n-samsung/

You may wanna call CBS and see if it is a planned app.

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:34 pm

blue3715 wrote:I agree kids rooms don't need an expensive tv.

I never said that.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm

iKitsune wrote:

I never said that.

sorry, but i do stand by my comment... i wouldn't spend too much on a kids room tv. Best to get a good pc (apple?) for homework.

All my kids homework is submitted online.. very digital world now in schools.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:54 pm

blue3715 wrote:
iKitsune wrote:

I never said that.

sorry, but i do stand by my comment... i wouldn't spend too much on a kids room tv. Best to get a good pc (apple?) for homework.

All my kids homework is submitted online.. very digital world now in schools.

I agree with you. No way do kids need an expensive tv. i think I have a 36" in my bedroom that is some random ass brand that I got from menards for like $100 and it works and looks just fine and has been working for years!!

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:39 pm

blue3715 wrote:
iKitsune wrote:

I never said that.

sorry, but i do stand by my comment..

I don't think that iKitsune was commenting on the validity of your opinion. Instead, I think that he was just protesting that you claimed that he said something that he didn't actually say. You claimed that he said something about kids needing or not needing a certain type of television. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that he even brought up that subject.

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:46 am

Shopper X wrote:I don't think that iKitsune was commenting on the validity of your opinion. Instead, I think that he was just protesting that you claimed that he said something that he didn't actually say. You claimed that he said something about kids needing or not needing a certain type of television. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that he even brought up that subject.
This.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am

iKitsune wrote:
Shopper X wrote:I don't think that iKitsune was commenting on the validity of your opinion. Instead, I think that he was just protesting that you claimed that he said something that he didn't actually say. You claimed that he said something about kids needing or not needing a certain type of television. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that he even brought up that subject.
This.

ok ok, lets hug it out.

moving on...

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”