The big BIG TV debate

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

The big BIG TV debate

Postby blue3715 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 am

Every year there is a sale on the big TV. I am a videophile (no, not the other thing you are thinking) and I take a lot of time before buying a TV. I took 18 months to pick my 42" Samsung for my bedroom. I was $899 at PC Richards on a Black Friday (years ago) but I waited 7 more months and found it at Electronics Expo as a close out for $529.

So now I have a 60" rear projection (a monster of a TV... 50" tall, #50" wide, 3 feet deep) and quite a large room. I have over 18 feet of space from wall to couch. so I can get a 70 or 75" TV now to replace it.

BF 2013 the big tv's weren't priced too low. There was one 70" for $999 but I felt it was too early to jump in. All of the curved tv's and 4k ultra's came out and I felt those would push down the pricing of the "standard" LCD tvs. I was right and I am excited what pricing I may see with the 70-75" models.

I've read a lot on resolution, and a 4k ultra really isn't all that noticeable once you stand back from the TV. And 240hz refresh rate is not something the brain can really pickup. There's lots of video gimmicks out there... tv's that "act like" 1080i but are really 720p, etc... so I have to do some research once the tv's come out.

What I have found interesting is that 8 of the top 10 LCD tv's rated by cnet.com were Vizio and Sharp brand.

So while I think the doorbusters will be the 55-60" models, I'm hoping there are a few 70-75" ones put out there too.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Re: The big BIG TV debate

Postby Vols44 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am

For 70" plus screens I found Sonys and Samsung on the top of the quality ladder. The cheapest high end (90%) Sony was 1500 while a 75% Vizio listed for 768. Display, features and connections will be somewhere on a person's top ten list of considerations. The quality and price balancing act is found in the specs for any model. The trick is finding out what's at the edge of each to get the most for the least.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:56 am

RCA 42" LED is 298 today only. Scepter 40" is 279. Three pages of discounted items in all.

montec
Black Friday Newbie

Postby montec » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Last year I got a Samsung 51" plasma from Samsung directly and I have been happy, granted Plasma is still king over LCD, IMHO. My bro-in-law got a 60" LG Plasma, granted he went thru 2 because the first one had a defective port on it(oh and he is now on the Plasma side over LCD{LED LCD}). I would have gotten a larger Plasma but the price was there and no it was not the smart model.

I'll be looking for a 40" maybe this year for the bedroom. I will keep plasma if I can, there is little out there left. Heard Samsung cut production in June so I suspect there will be a fire sale on whats left out there. Plasma the blacks are amazing.

LCD was ahead in the TV due to Brightness on the displays. But that was because they were set on full brightness which is just too much and washes out the picture. Plasma didn't have the display setting. If you can get a hold of the remote on a display and change that display you will see a huge difference. I'd say that full brightness will reduce the life of that screen.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I have a 40" plasma in my basement. 3 years old. It weighs a ton.

I agree you must set the color/display settings and you cannot use the "brightest" setting which comes out of the box.

If you go to cnet.com they often post the best settings for the tv.

You must have a surround sound system.

I even used a sound meter to adjust my surr sound speakers to ensure there were no drop off zones.

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am

Plasma is essentially the old Tube Tv's in todays market. Have the best color, the best contrast, but have restrictions. They replaced 36" Sony Vega's that weighed 400 lbs. and ppl now think a 50" plasma that weighs 150 lbs. is heavy.

I remember selling a 55" sharp plasma for 12,999.99

Those were the days....

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Sears has one of the best reviewed TVs (sharp LE series) at 15% off current pricing for BF.
Hoping for a better price else where but I'm amazed they are dropping the price on one of the best 2014 reviewed big tv's:

http://bfads.net/Item/Sears-Black-Frida ... 60U/212992

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:39 pm

head today that Walmart is having a 34 in tv for 98 with 1 hr guarantee from a guy at walmart
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Unless you are going to buy a tv under 42", I wouldn't recommend buying a TV unless you go 4K. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to get a 70" 1080P when in three to four years, 4K content hits the market and you are already thinking about ditching the TV you dropped $1000 in a couple of years.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

montec
Black Friday Newbie

Postby montec » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I think my plasma weights less then 50lbs. Its not that heavy at all just bulky width wize for one person to carry. Its not any thicker then some LCD's the same size. Does get warmer but not hot.

As for 4k TV I think the 3-4yrs may be the soonest for that content but its not gonna be all over everything.

I still have a 19 and 27" old school TV for playing older gaming systems on. LCD and Plasma make them look like shite.(talking N64 and some PS2 games) I dont have much for new gaming system but a Wii or the old GameCube. Pc Gamer now. :P

TV's are still up for peoples personal preference what they will like or not like but lack of options no one will notice unless you put a Vizio next to samsung or the likes of mid to higher end tv's

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 pm

shiftyjedi wrote:Unless you are going to buy a tv under 42", I wouldn't recommend buying a TV unless you go 4K. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to get a 70" 1080P when in three to four years, 4K content hits the market and you are already thinking about ditching the TV you dropped $1000 in a couple of years.

my last tv lasted 12 years because itook the time to buy a good model.

Paying now for 4k ultra is silly as there is no content that high. Same reason it was silly to buy a 3d tv years ago. Same reason not to buy a curved tv.

But if I went your way I would always be waiting for the next big thing.

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:41 am

blue3715 wrote:
shiftyjedi wrote:Unless you are going to buy a tv under 42", I wouldn't recommend buying a TV unless you go 4K. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to get a 70" 1080P when in three to four years, 4K content hits the market and you are already thinking about ditching the TV you dropped $1000 in a couple of years.

my last tv lasted 12 years because I took the time to buy a good model.

Paying now for 4k ultra is silly as there is no content that high. Same reason it was silly to buy a 3d tv years ago. Same reason not to buy a curved tv.

First of all, I'm not telling you to buy a 4K tv. I'm telling you to not waste money on a big TV that is not 4K. Sam's Club has a 55" 4K curved TV for $1300 or a 50" Vizio 4K for $999. Both are outstanding. You instead could buy a 70" 1080P TV for the same amount of money. However, both Xbox One and PS4 have 4K output capability, most video cards in computer's are outputting in 4K, Apple is releasing an 8K monitor on their new iMac, Netflix stated they are in the process of streaming in 4K, and 1080 up converted to 4K still looks better than just 1080P. Last two years I told people to stay away from 4K given their prices. Now they are in range of 1080P TV's to make their value important. Which brings me to the point, why would you buy something that is already outdated if you want mileage on your TV. Right now my primary Television is a 42" Samsung DLP which is 720P it is a few months shy of 9 years. When I bought it, grasp there was very little HD content available. There were 8 HD channels when I upgraded the cable package. I could have gotten one of those old school large regular projection screen TV's for half the price or EDTV (which was hawked by Best Buy and Circuit City). I spent more money on the more upgraded television set ($1400). I had to explain to my Dad that the TV would be my primary set for the next 7 years atleast where ever I was. I moved out of my parents to a cousin's a couple months later, than to South Minneapolis, and than to another cousin's. When I got to my other cousin's he already had a now 8 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma set so I let my parents you mine for 4 years finally moving them away from their 1990 GE Console set with unlike a lot of TV's had a composite input. I personally wouldn't buy a TV during this season and will wait for more 4K to come along as my DLP is still kicking strong, but if I had to get a TV now, I'm going 4K.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 am

I think that the "only buy 4K" advice applies to just a small percent of people. For most people, it simply doesn't matter because even 7 years from now they won't care that they aren't getting a 4K experience when they watch television.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:30 pm

shiftyjedi wrote:
blue3715 wrote:

my last tv lasted 12 years because I took the time to buy a good model.

First of all, I'm not telling you to buy a 4K tv. I'm telling you to not waste money on a big TV that is not 4K. Sam's Club has a 55" 4K curved TV for $1300 or a 50" Vizio 4K for $999. Both are outstanding. You instead could buy a 70" 1080P TV for the same amount of money. However, both Xbox One and PS4 have 4K output capability, most video cards in computer's are outputting in 4K, Apple is releasing an 8K monitor on their new iMac, Netflix stated they are in the process of streaming in 4K, and 1080 up converted to 4K still looks better than just 1080P. Last two years I told people to stay away from 4K given their prices. Now they are in range of 1080P TV's to make their value important. Which brings me to the point, why would you buy something that is already outdated if you want mileage on your TV. Right now my primary Television is a 42" Samsung DLP which is 720P it is a few months shy of 9 years. When I bought it, grasp there was very little HD content available. There were 8 HD channels when I upgraded the cable package. I could have gotten one of those old school large regular projection screen TV's for half the price or EDTV (which was hawked by Best Buy and Circuit City). I spent more money on the more upgraded television set ($1400). I had to explain to my Dad that the TV would be my primary set for the next 7 years atleast where ever I was. I moved out of my parents to a cousin's a couple months later, than to South Minneapolis, and than to another cousin's. When I got to my other cousin's he already had a now 8 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma set so I let my parents you mine for 4 years finally moving them away from their 1990 GE Console set with unlike a lot of TV's had a composite input. I personally wouldn't buy a TV during this season and will wait for more 4K to come along as my DLP is still kicking strong, but if I had to get a TV now, I'm going 4K.

Fair enough.. I do need to see it in the store again to see if 4k does make more sense for a 70-75" tv. Unfortunately I didn't see any great ads for 4k tv's. May need another year for vendors to work out 4k.

I'm not committed to buying the big tv this year, last year i was 5%, this year closer to 50%.. but not if I don't see any deals on top rated tvs. I'm not a gamer and I don't watch a ton of sports.. mostly "tv" and movies.. so video dispay, motion/blur and color are most important. I have a surround sound system so I don't care about the tv speakers. I also have a LAN wire to my DVD player I would move so wi-fi isnt required either.

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Shopper X wrote:I think that the "only buy 4K" advice applies to just a small percent of people. For most people, it simply doesn't matter because even 7 years from now they won't care that they aren't getting a 4K experience when they watch television.

You would be surprise, the same thing was said about Blu-Ray five years ago. People always think the quality isn't noticeable because their up-converted DVD's looked pretty damn good still. However, anyone who watch a DVD after a Blu-ray notices and to a lot of people they care. I agree with 4K doesn't do much on a cellphone but it will definitely standout the bigger the screen gets even if it's just up converting 1080P.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”