BF Guide Line Mates and Item Hunting

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

IMWA2BZ
Black Friday Newbie

Postby IMWA2BZ » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Question about stashing? Is this taboo?

I did this last year when the line for check-out was an hour-and-a-half long. Just stored my items in an unoccupied area of the store and went to another store. When I returned 2 hours later, my items were still there so I grabbed 'em and got in a much shorter check-out line.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this or if I'm a bad girl now. :?

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:07 pm

this could be a bit risky. AP/LP has certain guidelines to follow regarding what a person does leading up to a recovery. concealing merch is part of it. this can include concealing on yourself, or in another location so it is easier to lift at another time. though this alone is not a crime, it does raise suspicion.

when I used to collect action figures, I would sometimes stash items if I did not have the cash on hand to buy them. they were usually still there, but were missing on a couple of occasions.

as for BF, I really dont think this is so bad. as long as it is not a very limited item, say cheap DVDs, not a big deal to me.

and hey, some of like the bad girls.....

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

I once hid some items I wanted in a laundry hamper/kind with a lid. They were all on top of a shelf and I pulled them all down and put it in the last one and put the rest of the hampers back in front of it. I pretended to be really trying to find the right one...no one paid any attention to me. When I went back later, it was all still there. Who's going to buy that many laundry hampers on BF? lol

zackdking
Black Friday Pro

Postby zackdking » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:34 pm

gr8 write up Eddy, I'll deff be using some of your tips this year. I was very fortunate in the past- got off work early. this year I've broken my ankle severly and I'm off work for a while.
I've had great luck in previous years by making friends and talking with all those around me. Only one issue last yearwith someone jumping in line but it was remedied quickly. I think people will respect you if you stand up, but if you lay down they'll have no problem stepping on you.
I wish everyone here the best of luck and happy holidays

Klownicle
Black Friday Pro

Postby Klownicle » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Great post, everyone shoudl follow your guidelines. I make it a must to be first in line myself beyond all doubts. Usually the first couple people are cool if they noticed you were parked sleepin in your car before hand. That happened to me last year. When your in the top 5. Most people don't care if you were truely there before you, and will let you in.

Getting to be friends with the people around you is a PLUS!

Hollywoodman323
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Hollywoodman323 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 am

As a general rule i try to be in the front part of the line(if not the front of the line) at my choosen store every year.
and be as friendly as possible to those who are behind me or in some cases infront of me.

usually durring discussions i will ask if they will be having any friends join them and if so, how many. inquire as to what items they will be getting and various other things.
the main puropose of this though, is to ensure that everyone knows who is there, it allows for them and u to feel comfortable to walk away to take a bathroom break, a trip to the local fast food, or to the atm once it feels safe for me to have my money in my possesion(i usually arrive to the first store completely with nothing of much value for safety. once the line gets about 30 or so people deep i will walk over to the atm and withdrawl my set spending amount.)

i Have found when i arrive and there are say 5 people in front of me if i politely ask, it usually turns out if there are people who are going to be arriving latter to join them that chances are they are not intrested in the same item as what i want.

and it also comes in hand in that people are more comfortable to band togeather and say sorry but i am not going to let last minute larry and cutting cathy get infront of us.

DramaticAnnie
Black Friday Pro

Postby DramaticAnnie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 pm

What goes through the mind of Last Minute Larry and Cutting Cathy anyway?? :?:

I mean I don't know if it's just me or what.. but when you walk up to a line with freezing people (I line up in Maine, frigging freezing) that goes around the block and just when it hits 5am or whatever you run up towards the front of the line or you come from around the side of the building and make your way in with the others.. I mean WOW.. what a risk! Even without any physical altercations or shouting.. you should be in fear of the thousands of pounds of bad karma you just put on your back, people are literally shooting daggers at you with their eyes.. you hope its with their eyes anyway.

Then I was thinking well what if it was a one time deal.. that this person slept in or something and has a sick child at home who is desperate for this one item and has no other choice? Have you guys heard stories like this? Know any last minute Larrys? What goes through their minds at a time like this??

I know at the airport one time in line some sort of girls sports team or group was trying to catch their flight with their chaperones.. so this group of about 20 girls and woman kept asking people if they could please move up in line or they were going to miss a flight to Europe or whereever it was.. a few people complied.. then this one guy was like NO WAY. And the older lady came up and explained what happened and they were going to miss their flight they had worked so hard for and he was like I DO NOT CARE IF YOU MISS YOUR FLIGHT.. I just wanted to kick him. :oops:

But I would not let any hard working group of 20 girls in front of me at Black Friday, sry :wink:

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm

DramaticAnnie wrote:But I would not let any hard working group of 20 girls in front of me at Black Friday, sry :wink:

In front of me, no. But they can stand in line WITH me :D

DamJoe
Black Friday Newbie

Postby DamJoe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:34 am

:?: I purchased an LCD TV about 6 months ago I got a great price. I am looking for similar deals and prices over black friday and I am finding that the prices are actually higher than the price I got 6 months ago, SO what happened to the good BF prices. It leads me to believe that sometime before a sale prices go up so there is room to make it look like the prices came down to a greater degree, just because the retailer say's it's a great price it may not reflect the deal your looking for. Personally I'll wait till the discount's look like discounts compared to the prices I have experienced throughout the rest of the year. I really don't see any deals out there, unless you want a BF nightmare and beware of buying less than up to date technology 120hz, 60hz is outdated unless you want characters and people looking like your doing some sort of drug. If you get a rediculas deal check the HZ as if it is 60hz the Mfgr's want to get rid of that stock .

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 am

DramaticAnnie wrote:Then I was thinking well what if it was a one time deal.. that this person slept in or something and has a sick child at home who is desperate for this one item and has no other choice? Have you guys heard stories like this? Know any last minute Larrys? What goes through their minds at a time like this??

I've heard all kinds of stories. I like the ones that are straight up honest with me (I didn't know it was going to be anything like THIS! I thought i'd beat the crowds by getting here at 3:00!).

Anyway, best of luck to you all.

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 pm

my favortie was during the first xbox 360. I think alot of stores have followed that idea from best buy. But there are still places that dont folow suit. It will always be a made house at Walmart

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Re:

Postby iKitsune » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 pm

DramaticAnnie wrote:What goes through the mind of Last Minute Larry and Cutting Cathy anyway?? :?:

Bahaha, had some idiots try that at Best Buy the last time I went Black Fridaying. The lovely couple got a reminder from the police and store management where the back of the line was.

Granted, since they got in front of my group and the kids that were in front of us and were standing OUTSIDE our caution tape, and we'd got a rather large camp going by that point, I doubt they would've gotten away from it had I not pointed them out to the store personnel. ;)

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Re: Re:

Postby cmac1337 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 am

iKitsune wrote:
DramaticAnnie wrote:What goes through the mind of Last Minute Larry and Cutting Cathy anyway?? :?:

Bahaha, had some idiots try that at Best Buy the last time I went Black Fridaying. The lovely couple got a reminder from the police and store management where the back of the line was.

Granted, since they got in front of my group and the kids that were in front of us and were standing OUTSIDE our caution tape, and we'd got a rather large camp going by that point, I doubt they would've gotten away from it had I not pointed them out to the store personnel. ;)

Caution tape...VITAL! Cutting Cathy tries every year...tisk tisk.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:58 pm

cmac1337 wrote:
iKitsune wrote:

Caution tape...VITAL! Cutting Cathy tries every year...tisk tisk.

You'd think they'd know the hell better by now. "The crazy kids with the sign and the campout were first" should be the rule for that store. ;)

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:46 pm

iKitsune wrote:You'd think they'd know the hell better by now. "The crazy kids with the sign and the campout were first" should be the rule for that store. ;)

Pretty much is. The PD (one of which is actually with our group now, he's just off duty during that time), and the Best Buy staff all know us by name so it's pretty much pointless to even try.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”