Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
Tomfranklin wrote:I got my parents a 40" Emerson at Walmart 2 years ago and they rarely turn it off and it's still working well.


Wait, you mean TVs can actually turn off? :lol:

You wouldn't think they would judging by house. There's 4 TVs on in this house almost ALWAYS.



Ahhh Tek that is the result of having little boys! We have 3 big tvs on the satellite and 3 smaller tvs with dvd only ability...i think the one in the guest room is the only one off in the last week.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 pm

steffj89 wrote:
Ahhh Tek that is the result of having little boys! We have 3 big tvs on the satellite and 3 smaller tvs with dvd only ability...i think the one in the guest room is the only one off in the last week.



Yep, they're all big TVs in each room (both boys have a 42", there's a 42" in our room, and we have a 60" in the living room.. DirecTV on all of them and all of them are on different channels. I think my sons don't understand how to turn the channel, so they have a different show in each room and just run room to room watching different shows. :lol:
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

LMAO yeah, the 10 yo just taught the lil one to use the remote, so now every time he turns the channel he comes and tells us all about it!
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

steffj89 wrote:LMAO yeah, the 10 yo just taught the lil one to use the remote, so now every time he turns the channel he comes and tells us all about it!



Sounds like my house, hahahah!!! My oldest is 10 and youngest is 2.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted
Posts: 12995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Virginia, Norfolk area

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
steffj89 wrote:
Ahhh Tek that is the result of having little boys! We have 3 big tvs on the satellite and 3 smaller tvs with dvd only ability...i think the one in the guest room is the only one off in the last week.



Yep, they're all big TVs in each room (both boys have a 42", there's a 42" in our room, and we have a 60" in the living room.. DirecTV on all of them and all of them are on different channels. I think my sons don't understand how to turn the channel, so they have a different show in each room and just run room to room watching different shows. :lol:

WOW :o You have to turn the channel on your tv's :?: I just press a button or two :|
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:48 pm

lwmjr wrote:WOW :o You have to turn the channel on your tv's :?: I just press a button or two :|

Someone is quick on their feet tonight.

It depends. If the bunny-ears are adjusted properly and the aluminum foil doesn't fall off, then I don't have to turn them.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted
Posts: 12995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Virginia, Norfolk area

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 pm

All kidding aside, I just hope everyone gets the TV they deserve.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2509
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:20 am

We have an RCA 36" in our front room, we've had it about 4 years now, and it still works great, and really good picture quality. We've toyed with getting a new & larger tv, just haven't done it yet. Maybe next year ;) Our front room isn't huge, so we don't really need anything too much bigger IMO.

My son wants a new tv in his room. He has my old Westinghouse 19" that I bought in 2001 lol It still works great!
He was planning to get the $98 tv at WM. But I'm worried since it's a brand I've never heard of. Is it doomed to be crap, or would it be suitable for a 12yo for playing video games and dvds?

User avatar
bfaddict
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am

teknoge3k wrote:
steffj89 wrote:
Ahhh Tek that is the result of having little boys! We have 3 big tvs on the satellite and 3 smaller tvs with dvd only ability...i think the one in the guest room is the only one off in the last week.



Yep, they're all big TVs in each room (both boys have a 42", there's a 42" in our room, and we have a 60" in the living room.. DirecTV on all of them and all of them are on different channels. I think my sons don't understand how to turn the channel, so they have a different show in each room and just run room to room watching different shows. :lol:


sounds like my nephews! and then along with the tvs on they have their ipads on in front of them playing netflix while they watch others shows on the regular tv.

good god kids are spoiled these days! lol

User avatar
lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted
Posts: 12995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Virginia, Norfolk area

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby lwmjr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 am

azerigold wrote:We have an RCA 36" in our front room, we've had it about 4 years now, and it still works great, and really good picture quality. We've toyed with getting a new & larger tv, just haven't done it yet. Maybe next year ;) Our front room isn't huge, so we don't really need anything too much bigger IMO.

My son wants a new tv in his room. He has my old Westinghouse 19" that I bought in 2001 lol It still works great!
He was planning to get the $98 tv at WM. But I'm worried since it's a brand I've never heard of. Is it doomed to be crap, or would it be suitable for a 12yo for playing video games and dvds?

Chances are, it will be a heaping pile of crap
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

User avatar
Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper
Posts: 2637
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:05 pm

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am

Cheaper brands aren't necessarily bad. It's just that they might be built with less-reliable components or with less quality control at the factory.

If you buy a cheap TV, and it happens to be made correctly with parts that are good, then you are fine. You'll have a perfectly adequate television that will bring you many years of use. But, if you happen to have a television with marginal parts or it was assembled not as well, then you could end up with a lemon that breaks sooner or later.

More expensive brand-name televisions can experience the same problems, and it is always possible to get a lemon no matter how much money you spend. However, because better components were used and more care taken in the manufacturing, the frequency of problems is less.

(Perhaps someone else can chime in with how well cheap televisions work, when they're working, compared to brand-name televisions.)

How well the different companies honor their warranties might also be a consideration.

I personally think these cheap televisions are fine-- for what they are. Sometimes "good enough" is perfectly okay. For me, the value proposition is good. For others, the better value proposition would be to spend a little more money for a better television that might possibly last longer. We all value different things.

Just know what you are getting and make your choices accordingly.

User avatar
ikey2
BFads Tin Man
Posts: 8821
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: TN

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby ikey2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Cheap works best for me cuz never going to waste money on a TV. Plus don't watch much other than science channel that really works best in HD. Everything else is fine heck most times watch football on my little B&W little 12 inch tv looks better then my 60 inch tv SOny
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2509
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks! Well I think my son actually decided to save his $100 and spend it on something else and stick with his 12 year old 19" tv lol I am not complaining! As long as it works fine for him, that's what matters ;)

As for kids having TV's on and tablets, uh....won't happen in our house lol We have a very strict rule of one or the other, not both. We also have a strict rule about no lights on if they aren't being used. If it's something they can do in the front room, then they don't need to be in the bedroom w/lights on. TV is not on too long each day, and wont' be on when no one is watching.

This is what keeps our electric bill down. I don't think we've had a bill over $120.

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby steffj89 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah I am not going to bitch at them having the tv and tablet on at the same time. we all do it. Tanner will sit here right behind me on the sofa, watch whatever I am watching and read on his kindle ap
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Planning on scoring a TV this Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:55 pm

steffj89 wrote:Yeah I am not going to bitch at them having the tv and tablet on at the same time. we all do it. Tanner will sit here right behind me on the sofa, watch whatever I am watching and read on his kindle ap


Ditto. The TVs will be on, my wife and I will both have our tablets and phones, etc.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k


Return to “Suggestions and Tips”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests