AMA with BF Ads Writer (BFAdvisor)

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: AMA with BF Ads Writer (BFAdvisor)

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:31 am

ours has a 20 in screen...it is plenty big for the computing, but i can see maybe wanting bigger for tv watching
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 pm

klynlynlyn wrote:Thanks Steff and BFAvisor's help! Really appreciate it!

I lived in Seattle and looking for a desktop with bigger screen 24 or 27 still undecided :shock: budget :((not sure, maybe below 1000))

I will use my desktop mostly watching TV and also will work with some database software and accounting software. and photo editing.
not a gamer :D

I was thinking about touchscreen just because the windows 8 will be much better experience with it. and some BF deal offer window8 with purchase. but now I will rethink about it.

Well if you're looking for an All-In-One machine with a screen that size, I don't see one anywhere in the ads unless I have missed something.

In fact, if you want one with a touch screen the only one I see is the Lenovo All-In-One at Best Buy:

http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday- ... 4057310400

That one is 23" touch screen and it comes with Windows 8 and is pretty well equipped. The processor is dual-core but not one of the Core i series processors but for what you're doing you should be okay. What's great is that the RAM on this one is expandable to 8GB should you ever feel the need.

I'm going to look through again at the regular towers, but I didn't see any touch screen monitors in my first pass through the ads. I'll post back again tonite after I have another look.

klynlynlyn
Black Friday Newbie

Postby klynlynlyn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 pm

BFAdvisor wrote:
klynlynlyn wrote:Thanks Steff and BFAvisor's help! Really appreciate it!

I lived in Seattle and looking for a desktop with bigger screen 24 or 27 still undecided :shock: budget :((not sure, maybe below 1000))

I will use my desktop mostly watching TV and also will work with some database software and accounting software. and photo editing.
not a gamer :D

I was thinking about touchscreen just because the windows 8 will be much better experience with it. and some BF deal offer window8 with purchase. but now I will rethink about it.

Well if you're looking for an All-In-One machine with a screen that size, I don't see one anywhere in the ads unless I have missed something.

In fact, if you want one with a touch screen the only one I see is the Lenovo All-In-One at Best Buy:

That one is 23" touch screen and it comes with Windows 8 and is pretty well equipped. The processor is dual-core but not one of the Core i series processors but for what you're doing you should be okay. What's great is that the RAM on this one is expandable to 8GB should you ever feel the need.

I'm going to look through again at the regular towers, but I didn't see any touch screen monitors in my first pass through the ads. I'll post back again tonite after I have another look.

Hey thanks again! I went to MS store and try for the Win8, and I think I dont like it. As a result, for now, I would rather go back to Win7 but I guess I still prefer an All-in-one, without touch screen tought.haha. Thanks!~

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 am

BFAdvisor, out of all the tablet deals out there this year for BF; which deal do you think packs more punch or more bang for the buck? And if you're bored and could kill 2 birds with one stone; which laptop deal as well. Thanks!!!

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. I'll be available tonight and off and on tomorrow for anything you might need.
klynlynlyn wrote:
Hey thanks again! I went to MS store and try for the Win8, and I think I dont like it. As a result, for now, I would rather go back to Win7 but I guess I still prefer an All-in-one, without touch screen tought.haha. Thanks!~

Yikes.. you will be hard pressed to find any PC that doesn't come with Windows 8 preinstalled. I know that when Vista/7 were released, many manufacturers would send you a copy of a Windows XP backup/restore disc if you called and requested one. I have no clue if they are doing that with Windows 8 or not.

So basically for an All-In-One with a screen that size you are left with two options:

The Lenovo I posted eariler:

And the HP All-in-one available at OfficeMax and OfficeDepot:
http://bfads.net/Office-Max-Black-Frida ... -HD-23b010

The price is obviously less at OfficeMax, but I would still go with the Lenovo as the processor on HP machine really leaves a lot to be desired in simple benchmarks.

Now, should you decide to go with a separate tower and monitor combo, I would recommend picking up this tower for $499 at Best Buy:
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday- ... en-Monitor

And couple it with this LG 27" LED monitor for $199:
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday- ... 2012-11-09

A couple of things to note here. First, this maching absolutely trumps the All-In-Ones in terms of power.. it simply outmatches them in every class. Processor is faster and more robust, the speed and amount of the ram is greater, and the hard drive is more than double the size. With the All-In-Ones you are really paying for form-factor.. again, just like a laptop.

Second, that $499 includes a 20" monitor already.. you said you wanted a 23" minimum so you could turn around and sell that monitor on ebay or craigslist and expect to get something in the $100 range.

Third, that 27" LG LED monitor is one of the best prices ive ever seen on a screen that size. If I had been assigned to write an article on desktop PCS it would have made my top pick without a doubt.

Hope all of this helps. It certainly is a lot to think about. One thing to remember is that the computer probably does not include speakers, and neither does the monitor, so you'll have to pick those up separately if you don't have a pair already.

We've still got thanksgiving before any of this stuff goes on sale so feel free to post back or PM me if you need any other help.

Good luck and happy holidays!

P.S. thank you again steffj89 for your input.
Last edited by BFAdvisor on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 pm

My question: what in the world is that in your avatar? :shock: It's scaring Bloo Q Kazoo.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 pm

sportymonkey wrote:BFAdvisor, out of all the tablet deals out there this year for BF; which deal do you think packs more punch or more bang for the buck? And if you're bored and could kill 2 birds with one stone; which laptop deal as well. Thanks!!!

Hi sportymonkey

I'll answer the laptop question first.

For us at BFads it came down to two picks for the laptop.

First the AMD 15.6" Quad Core at Target for $329:
http://bfads.net/Target-Black-Friday-Ga ... 2L15U-2012

Second the Core i3 Dell Inspiron 14z for $299 at Dell.com:
http://bfads.net/Dell-Black-Friday-Dell ... -500GB-HDD

This decision is really up to you between these two. Personally, I prefer portability when it comes to laptops and the 14z is lighter and only 0.96" thick and has a nice, robust processor. So that would be my pick.

But the one at Target is great if you want a bigger screen.. 15.6" is quite a difference and the AMD quad core chip that runs it is a good pick as well.

It really is sort of a wash here, so you just have to decide if you prefer lighter and more portable, or larger screen size.

Now, for the tablet question.

First, if you've already got an iPhone or any kind of Apple device that uses iOS or if you have purchased content from iTunes i would recommend staying with Apple. Most if not all of your apps transfer over easily, along with contacts, bookmarks, etc. If you're an iTunes match subscriber it is really nice that you can use your one account across all devices.

Typical of Apple there is really no sale price this black friday on the latest iPads, unfortunately. You can grab the iPad 2 at Walmart and get a gift card to help subsidize the price, although the processing power and screen quality is not as good as the 4th Gen iPad or iPad Mini. That is really where you choice is, the iPad vs iPad mini, the main differences being screen size and price.

Traditionally, Apple has a sale on their website sometime between Black Friday and Christmas and offers anywhere from 10%-15% off the price of their iOS devices, so it may be worth holding out a couple weeks longer to see if that happens again.

Now.. if you are NOT already an Apple customer, I really could not recommend the Google Nexus 10 enough:
https://www.google.com/nexus/10/

As I said in my article covering Apple devices, it simply beats Apple blow for blow and offers the most bang for your buck hardware-wise, and it's $100 less! If you're completely new here and aren't already invested in either Android or iOS, it is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

If you want a 7" tablet, I would go with the Google Nexus 7, which can be had directly from Google as well for the same price you'll find out there on Black Friday:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/d ... site&hl=en

The kindle fire is also a good option, but the OS is restricted and heavily tied into Amazon, which is fine for a lot of people but you won't be able to do as much with it as you can the Nexus.

Hope this helped. Like I said in the above post, I'll be monitoring this throughout Black Friday so feel free to post back any more questions or if you need urgent help, shoot me a PM.

Happy holidays!

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 pm

g-man430 wrote:My question: what in the world is that in your avatar? :shock: It's scaring Bloo Q Kazoo.

Hahaha.. i was wondering if anyone would notice or wonder about that.. it's Lumpy Space Princess!!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:30 am

Thanks for the input. I probably would go with bigger screen, a few extra ounces/pounds isn't going to hurt me. And (gulp) I hate to admit it but I'm probably the only adult left that doesn't own a cell phone and not really an Apple fan anyways ( ducks and waits for the Boos and hisses). Again thanks for the info and Happy Holidays to you as well :)

klynlynlyn
Black Friday Newbie

Postby klynlynlyn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 am

BFAdvisor wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. I'll be available tonight and off and on tomorrow for anything you might need.
klynlynlyn wrote:

Yikes.. you will be hard pressed to find any PC that doesn't come with Windows 8 preinstalled. I know that when Vista/7 were released, many manufacturers would send you a copy of a Windows XP backup/restore disc if you called and requested one. I have no clue if they are doing that with Windows 8 or not.

So basically for an All-In-One with a screen that size you are left with two options:

The Lenovo I posted eariler:

And the HP All-in-one available at OfficeMax and OfficeDepot:
http://bfads.net/Office-Max-Black-Frida ... -HD-23b010

The price is obviously less at OfficeMax, but I would still go with the Lenovo as the processor on HP machine really leaves a lot to be desired in simple benchmarks.

Now, should you decide to go with a separate tower and monitor combo, I would recommend picking up this tower for $499 at Best Buy:
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday- ... en-Monitor

And couple it with this LG 27" LED monitor for $199:
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday- ... 2012-11-09

A couple of things to note here. First, this maching absolutely trumps the All-In-Ones in terms of power.. it simply outmatches them in every class. Processor is faster and more robust, the speed and amount of the ram is greater, and the hard drive is more than double the size. With the All-In-Ones you are really paying for form-factor.. again, just like a laptop.

Second, that $499 includes a 20" monitor already.. you said you wanted a 23" minimum so you could turn around and sell that monitor on ebay or craigslist and expect to get something in the $100 range.

Third, that 27" LG LED monitor is one of the best prices ive ever seen on a screen that size. If I had been assigned to write an article on desktop PCS it would have made my top pick without a doubt.

Hope all of this helps. It certainly is a lot to think about. One thing to remember is that the computer probably does not include speakers, and neither does the monitor, so you'll have to pick those up separately if you don't have a pair already.

We've still got thanksgiving before any of this stuff goes on sale so feel free to post back or PM me if you need any other help.

Good luck and happy holidays!

P.S. thank you again steffj89 for your input.

I got the bestbuy bundle! really a good value! thanks for the advice!!!!! and wish you a happy thanksgiving! :) :lol:

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 am

klynlynlyn wrote:I got the bestbuy bundle! really a good value! thanks for the advice!!!!! and wish you a happy thanksgiving! :) :lol:

Wonderful! So glad I could help and that you were able to make your Black Friday score!

Happy holidays!

Garybr2012
Black Friday Newbie

New Laptop i7 - looking fr BF deal

Postby Garybr2012 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Somewhere on these forums I found someone got a deal on a Lenovo Laptop i7 from Tiger direct, with a coupon code ZCL77569. I have tried searching for it but cannot find it. I think it had then numbers "560" in the post.

Anyway, I am looking for a replacement for a desk top. The most power intensive usage is video editing (also looking at Cyberlink program or a similar video editing package). I could stay with a desktop but the appeal of portability is hard to resist with the power in the laptops.

Any guidance appreciated.

Gary

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Re: New Laptop i7 - looking fr BF deal

Postby BFAdvisor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Garybr2012 wrote:Somewhere on these forums I found someone got a deal on a Lenovo Laptop i7 from Tiger direct, with a coupon code ZCL77569. I have tried searching for it but cannot find it. I think it had then numbers "560" in the post.

Anyway, I am looking for a replacement for a desk top. The most power intensive usage is video editing (also looking at Cyberlink program or a similar video editing package). I could stay with a desktop but the appeal of portability is hard to resist with the power in the laptops.

Any guidance appreciated.

Gary

Hi gary,

That laptop was actually the Lenovo Z580, which can be found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... Ox68XCO4LQ

That coupon code appears to be expired, although the laptop is still discounted. With coupon it was going for $519, and price is currently $629. Not as great a deal but still about $70 savings.

Video editing on a laptop is a pretty tall order. This laptop is close to as good as you're going to get without going into the area of a gaming laptop. You'll find stronger processors there but really nothing worth the money since the performance gained is geared towards running modern games and you'll get minimum gain in performance when you're crunching that video.

This is an Core i7 Ivy bridge laptop, which is Intel's latest chipset, but the processor Intel Core i7-3520M is only a dual core, so it would really benefit you if you spent a little extra and went with a quad core.

Here's one that's not too much more:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4935

Aside from being quad core, that model has 8GB of ram and 1TB hard drive space, both double what the Lenovo offers for $70 more.

That said, it is also a 17" model.. so the laptop is larger and more hefty. Obviously in video editing, the larger screen real estate will help but it will also be heavier and more unwieldy if portability is a major concern of yours. Unfortunately, if you want a smaller one the price goes up significantly

Hope that is of help to you, feel free to fire any more questions at me that you may have.

Garybr2012
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Garybr2012 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 am

Thank you for the advice and finding the original post! You have convinced me to go to a desk top rather than a laptop for video editing.

What do you recommend that I get on cyber Monday?

I saw your advice on a 27" monitor so that is a good start.

I am leaning toward non-bloat ware brands Lenovo or asus.

Your quad core point was appreciated. Perhaps two hd's, one for rendering and one for editing. I have seagate extrnal.

Thanks.

Gary

BFAdvisor
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFAdvisor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Garybr2012 wrote:Thank you for the advice and finding the original post! You have convinced me to go to a desk top rather than a laptop for video editing.

What do you recommend that I get on cyber Monday?

I saw your advice on a 27" monitor so that is a good start.

I am leaning toward non-bloat ware brands Lenovo or asus.

Your quad core point was appreciated. Perhaps two hd's, one for rendering and one for editing. I have seagate extrnal.

Thanks.

Gary

If you're looking for a perfomance machine from those brands your best bet is to keep a close eye on PC specialty sites, namely Newegg and/or Tigerdirect. I personally prefer newegg since their customer service is second only to Amazon, but TigerDirect will usually have some decent cyber monday deals.

As far as finding separate hard drives for rendering/editing. These are pretty rare in retail models unless you find one that has a solid state drive coupled with a regular hard drive.

A solid state/normal hard drive combo is nice as the solid state will greatly reduce boot up times and the time it takes programs to launch. If that is secondary to you, I wouldn't recommend spending a while lot more just for a SSD/HDD dual hard drives setup since the benefits to video editing would be minimal.

You'd be better served by spending that money getting the most processor power coupled with the largest amount of RAM for your money. Just as with laptops, look for a Core i7 Ivy Bridge, quad core chip. If it doesn't specify Ivy Bridge just google the processor model number and it shouldn't be hard to confirm. Once you have your PC in your home, it is pretty painless to add a second hard drive yourself, it's just a matter of physically putting the hard drive into the tower and attaching two cables, windows handles the rest. If you're not comfortable, hiring a professional should be a minimal cost since, as i said, it's a 20 process max for someone who is experienced in this area.

Good luck!

To everyone else, I hope your Black Friday went well. While I'll no longer be actively monitoring the forums, I have subscribed to this thread and I am always available over PMs. So if you've got questions between now and the holiday don't hesitate to ask, I'll be glad to do whatever I can to help.

Happy Holidays!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”