Can I buy something now and return on Bf for thr BF price

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BFADDICT1971
Black Friday Amateur

Can I buy something now and return on Bf for thr BF price

Postby BFADDICT1971 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:50 am

Here is what I want to do. There are 2 Tv's at K-mart I really want, and they are regular stock TV's, no special TV with a special model number. I would like to place them on lay a way, and then on the day of the sale during the hours of the sale, go to lay a way, and cancel my my lay away, and then re-purchase them. Why couldn't I do that? I know stores have policies, but say there was some joe blow standing behind me and realized the deal on those tv's, and he bought them- what would be the difference? Thanks for any input. oh, and I don't know what their lay a away policy is.

kelly2
Black Friday Pro

Re: Can I buy something now and return on Bf for thr BF pric

Postby kelly2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:16 am

BFADDICT1971 wrote:Here is what I want to do. There are 2 Tv's at K-mart I really want, and they are regular stock TV's, no special TV with a special model number. I would like to place them on lay a way, and then on the day of the sale during the hours of the sale, go to lay a way, and cancel my my lay away, and then re-purchase them. Why couldn't I do that? I know stores have policies, but say there was some joe blow standing behind me and realized the deal on those tv's, and he bought them- what would be the difference? Thanks for any input. oh, and I don't know what their lay a away policy is.

Hmmmm...Im not sure if you could do that or not. Kmarts page doesnt answer that question but also doesnt say you cant ask for a lower price on what you already have on layaway

They do have exclusions on what can be placed on layway http://www.kmart.com/layaway/sbh?adCell ... l=W1P#tab1

Also the page just says see store for details. Cant hurt to ask if a product goes on sale or less or if it is on sale on BF ( play like you dont know :lol: ) and see what they say

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 am

In general, I think that stores won't allow you to do this because obviously it's a way to game the system. However, individual store policies may vary, so maybe you'll get lucky.

FYI, Kmart's layaway rules don't explicitly prohibit price matching on Black Friday. However, price adjustments need to be made within 7 days:
http://www.kmart.com/ue/home/KM_1019201 ... tFacts.pdf
Kmart's layaway rules wrote:Except where prohibited by law, there will be no price adjustments after 7 days from the date you initiate your Layaway. Multiple price adjustments on the same items are not permitted. Price adjustments are not allowed on seasonal or clearance merchandise

There are several ways stores can stop Black Friday layaway price adjustments:
- They can just say "no". No price adjustments on Black Friday sale items.
- They can physically close the layaway desk/department on Black Friday. To make a price adjustment, you would have to come back after the sale is over and the deal has expired.

There are also a few ways stores could counter the "cancel layaway and immediately purchase the canceled item" strategy.
- First, there's a cancellation fee to discourage cancellations. At Kmart the fee is $10 or $20.
- Second, if you cancel the layaway item, there's nothing that says that the store has to give it to you or return it to the floor immediately. They could easily take it to the stockroom and return it to the floor at a later time, perhaps hours or days later.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 am

They always add some fine print to disable you from doing this. For instance I believe walmart had a special tag on the bf inventory so when the cashier scanned it it would give the bf price and if it didn't have it when they scan the UPC it comes up at the non bf price hope that helps

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:58 pm

It is usually up to the store. However, with that said, I have done that before, and was allowed to repurchase. I did end up spending a couple of hours waiting for managers to authorize and such... so may or may not be worth it...

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm

wait, so are you wanting to get the tv's in layaway, then cancel the layaway and take the tv's up front to pay?

if so, the stores won't go for it IMO.

I suggest if you want to try this, then ask if they will price adjust anything that is in layaway on bf.
From what I remember someone told me they only will price adjust on items within a week, after that you can't get a price adjustment in layaway. So be sure to check on that.
If you 'can' get an adjustment on BF, then put the tv's in layaway 6-7 days beforehand.

Or...getting the tv's out of layaway, taking them up front and having them do a price adjustment on your receipt. BUT, it depends on the store, if they will do this? But surely they would.

However Kmart can be kinda funny too. Kmart is all we have in our small town, and they won't even price match. I have no idea if other Kmart stores price match or not?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:34 am

are they only valid for a specific time period?? most stores do not have their customer service or layaway areas open during the big BF store times. that's their way around it.
that department isn't open, therefore you can't price match/adjust or do whatever.

although it doesn't hurt to try... just don't get upset when you aren't able to do it.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am

my dad was talking about putting an item on layaway at kmart.... then going BF (or thanksgiving i think it was) to try and get the same item.
if he's able to get that item then he can return the one on layaway. or cancel the layaway.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 am

bfaddict wrote:are they only valid for a specific time period?? most stores do not have their customer service or layaway areas open during the big BF store times. that's their way around it.
that department isn't open, therefore you can't price match/adjust or do whatever.

although it doesn't hurt to try... just don't get upset when you aren't able to do it.

True, but this year with store opening at 8pm, well, Layaway doesn't normally close until 10pm, 9 at the latest.

If I were your dad, I'd just get the one out of layaway and have them adjust the price, because as far as I know they do still charge a cancellation fee.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

oh that's good to know. i did tell my dad to make sure there were no fees associated with the layaway.
but i wouldn't put it past stores to change their layaway hours to reflect their 'black friday' ads.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm

bfaddict wrote:oh that's good to know. i did tell my dad to make sure there were no fees associated with the layaway.
but i wouldn't put it past stores to change their layaway hours to reflect their 'black friday' ads.

I'd call and ask if layaway will be available on bf just to make sure :) That's what I am going to do Wed, before Thanksgiving and see if they will have it available or not. I know when I worked there years ago, I worked in layaway, and we opened when the store opened.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

azerigold wrote:
bfaddict wrote:oh that's good to know. i did tell my dad to make sure there were no fees associated with the layaway.

I'd call and ask if layaway will be available on bf just to make sure :) That's what I am going to do Wed, before Thanksgiving and see if they will have it available or not. I know when I worked there years ago, I worked in layaway, and we opened when the store opened.

eh... i'll let my dad figure it out. i think it's a terrible idea for them to get my nephews an trampoline anyways lol

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”