Nexus 7 or take a risk on cheap tablet

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

rdub
Black Friday Newbie

Nexus 7 or take a risk on cheap tablet

Postby rdub » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Seeing the Polaroid tablet for around $90 and a few others at that price (or lower!). I want to get a tablet for my daughter, mainly for movies and games but I might mess around with it a little bit. Are the possible headaches, weak memory and weak processor worth the money saved for what is essentially a kids toy or should I go ahead and spend the extra $100 and get the Nexus 7 (or Kindle Fire HD) which is generally considered the best bang for the buck. Spending the extra money isn't going to put a squeeze on the family budget or other christmas shopping, it's just the principle of spending the extra dough when it may not be completely necessary to play doodle jump and watch cartoons.

Thanks for any advice!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: Nexus 7 or take a risk on cheap tablet

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm

I bought a cheap tablet BF last year...for 90, tried it for a couple of days and took it back. The lag etc made it difficult to use.

With the Kindle HD being 199 and 30$ gift card at BB It is by far a better deal.

The samsung galaxy tab2 is at BB and Sams for 179.99 it comes with a 20$ gift card at BB.

Either of those deals is FAR better than any of the 90$ ones. Also had a friend buy a Polaroid touch screen mp3 player a couple of years ago...it was worthless, less than a months use and the touch screen would freeze and it wouldn't allow to load new songs etc...

Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

rdub
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rdub » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Good stuff. I have some friends with the Kindle Fire (HD and standard) and they are fans. I wonder what my chances are of getting either the Samsung or the Kindle Fire with gift card are on BF. The price on the Fire HD is pretty standard but the gift card would be pretty sweet.

If no other deals present themselves, it might be time to go explore the Best Buy BF threads for advice on how early to get there and how many they'd have in stock for that deal. I've done the overnight before for a flat screen five years ago (back when $600 for a 42inch was considered a "great deal") but I don't know if I could do 6+ hours in line to save $30.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I actually tend to think they are going to be available online....if they do it will likely be WED nite into Thurs when it goes live....I am thinking last year it was like 3 am it went live on wed nite.
steffsbags@ymail.com

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 pm

How about the Nook Color for 99 at Walmart?

rdub
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rdub » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm

yeah, I just that today, I don't know if that is the one comparable to the Kindle Fire or if that is the one comparable to the Kindle Fire HD. Either way though, it is a smaller app store and doesn't have access to the video library through amazon (although they say they are going to be adding some sort of video store).

Really liking the idea of the Kindle Fire HD at this point but again, I have a hard time factoring in if I'm am over purchasing for a four year old who will just play simple apps on it and watch movies and I may or may not use it myself (we have several laptops in the house and I prefer hardback books)

njeffords
Black Friday Newbie

Postby njeffords » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 am

Honestly I say go fo a nabi instead. Same specs as the nexus but with awesome parental controls

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 am

we are doing the nabi2 for our 4(12-22) and our older ones are getting a samsung galaxy tab 2.
steffsbags@ymail.com

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 pm

My brother said the Nexus 7 Asus is one of the better ones, he said it's better than the Samsung Galaxy, and it's $199, I think normally it's $250?
From what people have told me here & my brother, the Samsung Galaxy is a really good bet if you don't get the Nexus.

If you want to try and avoid BB, Kmart has the Samsung galaxy on sale Tday morning for $177. Sure no free gift card, but if you have a kmart card you'd get the points from the purchase, and if you happen across any coupons. I spent a certain amount in a year and got a VIP card and they sent me coupons for like $10 in bonus coupons if I buy a roll of wrapping paper, then there are some 10 & 25% back in bonus points on purchases, so every little bit helps.

Depending on what happens with my vehicle <died today>, I had been planning to get the Samsung Galaxy for my son.

METALFAN
Black Friday Pro

Postby METALFAN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Bought my mom a Nook Color and she loves it! I'm planning on getting the Nexus 7 though. Never had much experience with cheaper tablets as it didn't seem worth it.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

If you pay $100 for a tablet (or under that), you're going to get just that, a $100 tablet. You're going to get lag amongst other issues with it. If you plan on using a tablet every day want want it to function without wanting to throw it out the window, then I highly suggest spending the money and getting a real tablet. Something good. Samsung Galaxy is good, and there are some others out there as well. Just fair warning!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Defense
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Defense » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:40 pm

The Polaroid 10.1 at Kohl's has some amazing specs to it, more than half the Nook's I've looked at (and tried) I've noticed that Nook's have a lot of lag time too. With the 15% off and Kohl's cash, the Polaroid is a great deal AND it still has Ice Cream Sandwich as the OS so Flash is still supported, unlike a lot of other Jellybean Android systems.

So, I ordered the 10.1, and will hopefully be happy with it...if not, back it goes :)

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”