Online Shopping Tips?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Online Shopping Tips?

Postby Sutebe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Hey guys, new here and wanted to try to get some info. I've never really attempted to buy anything on black friday, though I am familiar with buying hot items quick (MSI Radeon 6870 open box for $59 @ newegg) I was really thinking of purchasing an HDTV online vs in the stores on black friday. What's a good way to go about this and good sites to check? Will good online deals be posted in the online section? Or.. will that be too late and the really good deals OOS by then? I'm looking for something in the 46-50" range 1080p with no bells and whistles in the $300-450, is that plausible? Do you have to check sites like amazon at 12:01 am on Friday to get the good deals? I'm sure the deals are better in stores but that's too much clammour for me :(

Sorry for the multitude of questions, I'm new to the whole black friday experience but figured it was probably a great time to look for a new TV. I couldn't find much about an online black friday buying guide

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Online Shopping Tips?

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Everyone will give different advice to you but mine is this...
Remember, if the item is in your hand on Black Friday at the store, then it's yours. It's better to have it in your hand/buggy/car, than to get the email on Saturday/Monday/Wednesday saying the store oversold and refund your money. Then you've missed out on the BF deal.

Also if you can wait, you may find better deals on TVs come the weekend before the Super Bowl. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:38 pm

I might drive myself crazy wanting a new TV before February rolls around :lol: You think I could find a decent 46-50" for $300-450? I really just want 1080p.. 120hz would be a plus but not needed. I dont care about the 3d or wifi or what have you :)

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

ditto the superbowl comment....

I got the best deal several years ago that weekend.
Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Hmmm, could you give me an idea of what kind of deal? I guess I could tough it out if nothign catches my eye come BF

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 pm

if memory serves at the time 32 inches was going for 4-500.
black friday they were in the 300$ range

I got it right before superbowl for under 250.

Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Hmm I'll have to see what they have for deals. I'll call up the store and ask how busy they were the year before etc, they had the 50" TV's for $548 a few weeks ago I was going to snag so if I cant find one around $450 I'll just wait a bit.

At any rate does anyone know what the deals usually look like online and where is best to look? I still think I want to give this a shot. Thanks!

Chipper112
Black Friday Pro

Postby Chipper112 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Amazon price matches a lot of the popular Black Friday items with their week of GoldBox deals, so you might want to keep an eye over there. They also give hints and will tell you exactly what time and sometimes price the item will be for sale. I usually get most of my BF shopping done through them so I'm not needed to be in 5 places at once on BF.

You gotta be quick though. Good luck!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I LOVE the Amazon Lightning Deals..... They have the most awesome stuff during the few days they do it.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 am

Those are the ones located here correct? http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

So I should just check back every couple of hours to see what the upcoming deals are and be prepared to buy one? Any idea when the things like TVs should appear?

Edit: Oh probably where it says "Countdown to black friday deals week: 11day etc" haha :P

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 am

Sutebe wrote:Those are the ones located here correct? http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

So I should just check back every couple of hours to see what the upcoming deals are and be prepared to buy one? Any idea when the things like TVs should appear?

Edit: Oh probably where it says "Countdown to black friday deals week: 11day etc" haha :P

No, when they get to Black Friday week you want to watch it constantly. I think the deals change every 15 minutes if I am not mistaken. They have great stuff. I watch Gold Box every day all year but Black Friday week is totally different.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Guess I'll keep it up on the side at work all day, is that the correct location to look once black friday week hits? Or is it another one? I'm sure I'll get an email but I'd like to be prepared :)

Chipper112
Black Friday Pro

Postby Chipper112 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:53 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
Sutebe wrote:Those are the ones located here correct? http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

No, when they get to Black Friday week you want to watch it constantly. I think the deals change every 15 minutes if I am not mistaken. They have great stuff. I watch Gold Box every day all year but Black Friday week is totally different.

Yeah, there are pages of sales that rotate throughout the day. I think usually its about 12 hours of sales a day, I could be wrong though. They will have descriptions for all of the sales so you can take a few mins to look through them all. Theres also categories that you can sort through.

Sutebe
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Sutebe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Okay great, I'll keep my eyes peeled that week. Really looking for a nice HDTV and possibly a wireless mouse/keyboard to hook up to my PC when using it.

Looks like this will be the BF section: http://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=UTF8&node=384082011

I'll be checking that ALL day :D Any idea how fast the TV's usually sell out?

Chipper112
Black Friday Pro

Postby Chipper112 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Sutebe wrote:Okay great, I'll keep my eyes peeled that week. Really looking for a nice HDTV and possibly a wireless mouse/keyboard to hook up to my PC when using it.

Looks like this will be the BF section: http://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=UTF8&node=384082011

I'll be checking that ALL day :D Any idea how fast the TV's usually sell out?

I've seen TV's sell out right when the sales start. You'll want to be sitting right there with your cursor hovering over add to cart and click the second it becomes available. You will have about 15 mins to cash out and those items that don't get purchased go back into the pile. They have waiting lists too which you can get added too and with give you an idea if you will be able to score the item or not.

The only thing that I found bad about the waiting lists is that you need to be sitting on your computer with the page loaded for the whole sale, which can take a while sometimes.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”