PDF Ads

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Tony
Admin

Re: PDF Ads

Postby Tony » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm

We are working on getting the PDFs up for the ads.
It's taking a little longer this year than previous years, but Michael is working on this.

Thanks for your patience.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:21 am

I'm sure that the PDFs will get onto BFAds.net in due time. (Though I agree that if other sites get their PDF adscans up early and BFAds.net lags behind, then there could be the danger of people switching to other sites for their Black Friday needs.)

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in creating their own PDF files, but I have a method that is relatively easy (assuming you have a Unix-like system, like a Mac). First, I have a script that downloads and saves all adscan images for an ad. Then, I just use the "convert" command (after downloading and installing Imagemagick) to make the PDF. I need to work on it a little more before it is ready, but please send me a PM if you are interested in getting the get.adscans.pl script.

Code: Select all

$ ./get.adscans.pl Target-2012
    Getting image (1/32) Target-2012.01.jpg...
    Getting image (2/32) Target-2012.02.jpg...
    Getting image (3/32) Target-2012.03.jpg...
$ ls adscans/Target-2012
Target-2012.01.jpg Target-2012.09.jpg Target-2012.17.jpg Target-2012.25.jpg
Target-2012.02.jpg Target-2012.10.jpg Target-2012.18.jpg Target-2012.26.jpg
Target-2012.03.jpg Target-2012.11.jpg Target-2012.19.jpg Target-2012.27.jpg
$ convert adscans/Target-2012/* Target.pdf
$ ls -l Target.pdf
-rw-r--r--   1 shopperx  linejumpers  6702089 Nov 10 08:26 Target.pdf

(BFAds.net admins, do you need help creating PDF files? I have some already created and could do more if desired.)

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I have most in pdf as well if you guys need them...

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Re: Ad scan PDF Files

Postby CrazyTrain » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Is there an update to this? Most ads don't have pdf or even zip files. I haven't had Internet for 2 weeks thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I missed out on so much and was looking forward to being able to download the ads and looking at them at my leisure. Thanks.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 am

Brad has pdfs of almost everything. ;)

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 am

I ask again, does BFAds.net need any help making PDF files? I have some already made that BFAds.net can use, and I could make more if needed.

Should I start distributing PDF adscans myself, to pick up the slack?

scrappingsteph
Black Friday Pro

Postby scrappingsteph » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 am

i use firefox, and had to pull up print preview in order to select the print background image button. hope that helps someone

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am

not complaining! promise!! (mostly cause i can get the pdfs from the other sites)
but just curious why it takes so long to turn them into pdf's? at the very least they probably come to you guys in jpeg form.... it's super easy to make pdfs.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:28 am

FYI, tonight I plan to start uploading and distributing PDF adscans as a stopgap until the official ones are posted. The plan is to start with the big 5: Walmart, Target, Sears, Best Buy, Kmart. It will be a forum-only thing where I'll send the download URL to forum members via PM.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

I've made PDFs of some the adscans that people can download. Please let me know in a PM or reply post which store(s) you want, and I'll send you the URLs to the files. This is a temporary measure, just until bfads.net uploads the official adscan PDF.

PDF adscans I have currently available are:
Best Buy, Sears, Sears Thanksgiving, Target, Walmart

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 pm

BFVet wrote:Brad has pdfs of almost everything. ;)

Well can he post them then? :)

Shopper X that sounds good to me :) It was always fun in the past seeing the ads posted then anxiously awaiting the PDF and grabbing it quickly just in case the ad had to get pulled!

Maybe this weekend I will have time to search the net to see if they are posted elsewhere!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

It;s a shame BFAds - you are slipping. Users are leaving because of this.

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 pm

I've seen other websites. BFAds.net is the best of the bunch, IMO. Sure, we can't save the PDFs this year, but who cares? I should thank them for saving me the ink and paper from printing out numerous copies and handing them out to family members! :D

If people are leaving because they can't download the ads this year (despite a long-standing track record of excellence), then let them go. They'll be back next year.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

MegaBlue wrote:I've seen other websites. BFAds.net is the best of the bunch, IMO. Sure, we can't save the PDFs this year, but who cares? I should thank them for saving me the ink and paper from printing out numerous copies and handing them out to family members! :D

If people are leaving because they can't download the ads this year (despite a long-standing track record of excellence), then let them go. They'll be back next year.

I agree. I haven't been on here long enough to really call myself a pro or anything but have been on here long enough to say that the admins work hard; give them some credit. People are always feeling like they are entitled to something with no care of how long it takes to do said things. I remember just not too long ago we were all waiting for the target ad to come out. It was at the office and they were working on it at 10pm. He was rushed back from his Dinner break to try and get it out. Yes it didn't come out until the next morning but crap those are some long arse hours people. If they were only here for pdf's then they weren't true members to begin with. I'm sorry if I offended someone. I truly did not mean to. I just think its redonkerous to get in such a tizzy over something so silly.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 am

I really like BFAds, but I also agree that not having PDF ads will cause a lot of people to go to other sites. No hard feelings on anyone's part, but if BFAds doesn't have the ads and the other sites do, people will simply go where the ads are. I don't like the situation, not because I'm personally complaining about the lack of PDF files, but instead because I'm concerned that the site will lose traffic and momentum to the other deal sites.

That being said, it looks like BFAds.net has started converting/uploading PDF versions of the adscans the past two days. Yesterday they were up to the B's, and today it looks like they are up the C's, with a few other ads converted out of alphabetical order.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”