PDF Ads

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

slindzy
Black Friday Newbie

PDF Ads

Postby slindzy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 am

Hi,
Does anyone know how to convert the ads to PDF's. I like to print them and organize them in a binder. There are only a couple that are already in PDF.

Thank you! :D

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: PDF Ads

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

Get you a PDF printer, and just print them to PDF. I use BullZip PDF printer. It's free.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

slindzy
Black Friday Newbie

Postby slindzy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 am

I must be doing something wrong. I have a program to save and print to PDF but I when I try it gives me blank pages. The only ones I can do it with are the ones already in PDF. Do you know if all the ads will be put in PDF?

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm

From past years' experience, eventually BFAds.net will make PDF versions for all the adscans. It usually takes them a while.

If you are having trouble printing to PDF and don't want to use that Bullzip program that was previously mentioned, there are some online PDF converters you could try. I don't know how well any of them work, but the below quick searches found a few:
http://www.google.com/search?q=image+to+pdf
http://www.google.com/search?q=web+page+to+pdf

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Okay, I think I discovered what the problem is. BFAds.net web pages are formatted such that the adscans are background images. By default when web browsers print web pages, they do not print background images.

To work around this issue, you'll need to change the print options. I'm sure that most web browsers have a similar setting, but in Firefox 6.0.2 the way to change it is:

File -> Print -> Options -> Print Background Images

mjacob75
Black Friday Pro

Ad scan PDF Files

Postby mjacob75 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Kinda disappointed that I can't save the PDF file for 95% of the ads like previous years. I have just about all of them saved on my pc since 07 just so I can always compare the trend yearly.

jgm08
Black Friday Newbie

Postby jgm08 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Shopper X wrote:Okay, I think I discovered what the problem is. BFAds.net web pages are formatted such that the adscans are background images. By default when web browsers print web pages, they do not print background images.

To work around this issue, you'll need to change the print options. I'm sure that most web browsers have a similar setting, but in Firefox 6.0.2 the way to change it is:

File -> Print -> Options -> Print Background Images

This isn't working for me - I am using Firefox and I do not have a File -> Print -> Options -> Print Background Images. Is it stored somewhere else?

Thanks,
Jenna

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Apparently, the way you change print settings in Firefox varies depending on the OS version and Firefox version you happen to be using. This web page allows you to select an OS and Firefox version and then tells you where the settings are for that combination:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-print-websites

stuntdriver
Black Friday Newbie

Postby stuntdriver » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 pm

I too have been wondering why PDF versions aren't available for most ads. I like to save them, open them and zoom etc... but this year they aren't available like in the past.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 pm

They are embedded images on the website. Just view each image alone, and either save it, or print it as a pdf. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Ad scan PDF Files

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm

me too :( they're so much easier to look through being PDFs.
hate it say it, but you can get PDFs in other places so i guess i'll be downloading them there.

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm

I believe Michael is in the process of uploading the pdf files / links to it soon.
I recall him saying something about that today.
If you go to http://bfads.net/Adscans some of the ads have the pdf file link.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 pm

thanks!

Momof9
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Momof9 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 am

It would be a great help if most of the ad on the site would already be in PDF format, since I like to save them in ibooks on my ipad. I did this last year, and that is how I was able to price match at walmart. I just brought up the pdf of the ad scan and showed it to the cashier.

sideoutca
Black Friday Newbie

Postby sideoutca » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

This is a suggest/request to the BFAds.net admins:

I've been going this this website for a long time (since 2006) mainly because it had the ads in PDF form. None of the other BF sites had this feature which why it was great. However this year this site doesn't post PDF files (maybe 1 or 2) while the other sites are now posting PDF files. Why has it changed? You had something good going for all these years. I understand that you have a new format so why can't you have both? All us readers/shoppers have different preferences so having both formats would cover most of us.

Does everyone else agree?

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”