Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should know

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Re: Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should kn

Postby john.daggett » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:27 pm

That's awesome, as long as your outside you are not breaking any laws with propane.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 am

Ok so I haven't read through all the replies, yet lol :oops:

But here's my take, BUT, I don't go waiting in long lines and hopping from one store to another to another, usually I do 2-3 stores..

If you can avoid a shopping cart - do it!
If you need a shopping cart - get there at least an hour and a half to 2 hours early! Especially if it's some place like Walmart.

Sounds silly, but I keep my daughters stroller in my SUV one day a year - BF LOL Just in case I can't get a cart, I can pile clothes/small stuff on it <she's 6 doesn't need it now lol>.

Do you have a large, strong shopping bag? Take it and use it instead if your going for lightweight/clothing items.

WHen making your shopping list, include page number
You can also list your items in order by priority or by store layout - don't get crazy if you can't get every single thing on your list! Definitely don't make an A$$ out of yourself to try and get those deals either.

Treat others the way you'd like to be treated!

Girls - leave your purse at home! Find an inside pocket on your coat to carry your wallet, or someplace safe on you where you won't drop it/lose it or have to worry about it getting taken.
I typically put everything on my bank or paypal card, it's too easy to loose cash. That's coming from someone that prefers to pay with cash lol

If going to 24hr walmart stores/similar stores go and stake it out, walk around and see where everything is at, so when sale time comes you can grab and quickly get in line.
Now, I know at some stores they open the pallets before the actual sale is supposed to start....

Depending on the parking lot, park near an exit, or easy place to get out of - don't try to get the closest spot to the store/shopping center, or it might be harder to get out, especially with pedestrian traffic.

El Zorro
Black Friday Pro

Postby El Zorro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I have a tip for newbies that I saw some people try a few years ago.

I always start mentally preparing for what I'm going to do a week out, mostly trying to prepare for long lines, long waits, hostile people...etc. that way when it's time to stand around and wait, I'm not surprised by anything and I know that it could feel like 3AM when it's just midnight.

That being said, do NOT load up on caffeine. Especially at your Thanksgiving dinner or early in line waiting. I was around some people at Wal-Mart waiting in line for a laptop. About 90 minutes in to waiting (about 11:30PM) they were busting out energy drinks thinking it was going to keep them going. 1:30AM came and they were out and woke up in time to claim their prize.

Morale of the story: Pace yourself. Prepare for a long wait. If you have to get a caffeine boost, wait as long as you can until your item goes on sale. It'll last you longer with minimal bathroom breaks. Above all else, have fun!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:16 pm

El Zorro wrote:I have a tip for newbies that I saw some people try a few years ago.

I always start mentally preparing for what I'm going to do a week out, mostly trying to prepare for long lines, long waits, hostile people...etc. that way when it's time to stand around and wait, I'm not surprised by anything and I know that it could feel like 3AM when it's just midnight.

That being said, do NOT load up on caffeine. Especially at your Thanksgiving dinner or early in line waiting. I was around some people at Wal-Mart waiting in line for a laptop. About 90 minutes in to waiting (about 11:30PM) they were busting out energy drinks thinking it was going to keep them going. 1:30AM came and they were out and woke up in time to claim their prize.

Morale of the story: Pace yourself. Prepare for a long wait. If you have to get a caffeine boost, wait as long as you can until your item goes on sale. It'll last you longer with minimal bathroom breaks. Above all else, have fun!

If you're out in the cold and need a boost, shed some clothes and get cold. It'll help keep you awake!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Whiskey will help you survive during the cold temps. Even if science proves otherwise use the placebo effect. I recommend crown royal. Stay thirsty my friends.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:34 pm

that makes me think of another tip... if you're going to have to stand out in the cold for hours.. maek sure you dress in layers....
i didn't... and one year i think i stood outside TRU for about 3 hours... EFFING MISERABLE. and we even had the little pocket warmers.

schafferfamily5
Black Friday Pro

Postby schafferfamily5 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Make sure you fill up (gas) your car the night before, so you don't have to stop later.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm

check all your tires so you don't get stuck having a freaking FLAT changed on the way home
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

kaseyevans16
Black Friday Amateur

Postby kaseyevans16 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 pm

The best secret I can share is wait it out. If the shelves are empty and lines are wrapped around the store to checkout, watch for people who get annoyed or figure out they don't have enough money to purchase all of there items. I have found awesome door busters in the checkout lane after the crowd clears! Just always be ready for the unexpected-you never know what will be around the next corner.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:22 pm

kaseyevans16 wrote:The best secret I can share is wait it out. If the shelves are empty and lines are wrapped around the store to checkout, watch for people who get annoyed or figure out they don't have enough money to purchase all of there items. I have found awesome door busters in the checkout lane after the crowd clears! Just always be ready for the unexpected-you never know what will be around the next corner.

I always shop the check out lanes :lol:

DivaOfDeals
Black Friday Pro

Postby DivaOfDeals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:16 pm

I have camped for up to 12 hrs before but this is the first year I'm going for doorbusters 24 hrs early, but even after only a few hours it feels MUCH colder than you would think or than you felt the first hour. You get this chilled to the bone feeling it takes all day to recover from when you get home (I did anyway). Also, use a restroom before you get in line and minimize fluid consumption or you will regret it!

jayg84
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jayg84 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 pm

If you are after items that are usually in the store like certain toys, video games, or movies, don't waste your time trying to get navigate through the hordes of people, go to their usual location in the store. If its a bluray movie look for it on the shelves in the bluray section of the electronics store, or a video game back in the electronics section behind the glass, or a toy in the toy isle. Even if they have specical packaging for games or movies, as long as it is not a different edition (Special edition, etc.) then it will ring up the correct bf price or they will change it to it. If you are trying to hard to get a high priced item like a tv but don't want to miss out on other items go early and find those items on the shelf and put them in your cart.

Go to a walmart in a smaller town around a big town, the walmart I go to I can get pretty much anything I want but really limited items where there is less then 10 of them. Big tv specials and certain video games and movies are hard to find (unless on the games you use the method above). The big discount tvs last year like the 42" for $200 or whatever it was for was still available 30 minutes or so after the store was let loose. My walmart is a little over 20 minutes from any other walmart and there is no target or best buy in my town so most people go to the bigger city because it puts them closer to all the stores, leaving me there with everything I want.

Lastly, price match. If its at target, kmart, toys rus, or best buy then most likely walmart has it. Only specially marked items and certain tvs or buncles are not available. Think about the whole picture, I can go to one of those other stores get that one item and miss out on bunch of other items or find a similiar item at walmart and get everything I want there. Not trying to promote walmart but it is the best place to go period because of their price matching, 24 hours, ton of cash registers, selection, and availability.

Skillet9886
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skillet9886 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 am

I'm afraid I've got to (conditionally) go against the flow on this one. On alternating years, when my brother and I are both at our parents' house for Thanksgiving, we have 4 people total shopping, including the two of us, his wife, and my boyfriend. With four people, we usually get a cart and give it to one person. Although I agree that it is much more difficult to get through aisles with a cart if you're flying solo, having one person stationed with a cart makes our lives much easier. Not to mention the fact that between the four of us we usually end up going for one or more big items, it is much easier to get through the aisles with empty hands and no bags full of stuff. Personally, if I carry a big bag around, my shoulders will start to hurt pretty soon. That being said, I echo the no purse recommendation. I wear jeans and put my license/credit card/cash in a coin purse in my back pocket. Anyway, I definitely get the no-cart strategy with 1-2 people, but would advise having a designated cart teammate stationed somewhere in the store so you can make trips out and back empty-handed.

Another tip that I instituted last year that made my life SO much easier: If you have a smartphone, download the bfads app! It is really user friendly, and streamlined my Black Friday last year, so I plan to use it again this year. For those of you who haven't checked it out, you can sync your bfads shopping list from the website onto your phone, it organizes it by store, and you can cross out items you've purchased. It eliminated the need to carry around circulars (though we do have them in the car in case of price/item discrepancy) with marks or post-it notes to remind you which items you're after at which stores. Highly recommend!!!

DivaOfDeals
Black Friday Pro

Postby DivaOfDeals » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:24 am

teknoge3k wrote:
kmwjdizlh wrote:Im not sure if this has been mentioned but you may want to bring cash with you as well as your debit card. Ive been stores before where there system was down and couldnt accept cards.CRAZY I know but its happened to me before.

This brings up another tip... Please, for the love of mankind, do not bring a checkbook. Everyone in line is in a hurry to get to the next store (and you should be to!), and wants everyone to pick up the pace a little bit. Don't slow down everyone by having to write a check. Unless you're an 80 year old woman, checks are unacceptable, especially on Black Friday! :wink:

Seconded!

skye
Black Friday Newbie

Postby skye » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:10 pm

I also have my phone app to scan possible deals I had not done research on ....gives me real price to see if it really is a good deal. Happy almost turkey day all.... :D

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”