Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should know

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Re: Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should kn

Postby barrett76 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 am

[quote="teknoge3k"]Unless you absolutely have to, do not grab a shopping cart. When you go after something, zero in on where it's at and go directly to it, don't pass go, do not collect $200. Also those back isles that nobody ever shops in? Use those to your advantage to get to your items quicker. If you stay in the main isles, you're going to get caught up in traffic.

Get a huge tote bag or two. I like the ones from Ikea. Not only are they big but strong enough to hold everything once your bag is full.

BFADDICT1971
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BFADDICT1971 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 am

I agree with NO cart!!! Last year I took my daughter and 2 of her friends and they are all like age 17. I gave them each a reusable bag and had them stationed at certain places. I had my own reusable bag and was stationed at games and movies. I just loaded up my bag. It was sooooo mych easier, and since it was a reusable bag, I didn't feel like a shoplifter, lol!!! It is sooooo much easier to get through the store.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 am

I take two Sam's club thermal totes that are huge one for each shoulder. However, if there is a store that I plan on getting alot like Target or TRU for toys my companion will get a cart that we share.

Ladies, no purses. I always wear jeans with a front pocket that buttons or zips for all necessary payment methods.

Every Old Navy I have ever been to later than opening looks like a bomb went off so be prepared to dig through piles if you go later in the morning or day. Going in at opening may seem hectic but the perk of organization is nice.
Gap and Baby Gap credit card holders can stack discounts/rewards up to so many depending on the store. I got a 80 coat for my son last year for 29. Remember to check and print your rewards before shopping.

Every Walmart is different with BF. Some let people get into pallets or even checkout early. So try to find a forum or article or even friend, coworker, neighbor who has been to your Walmart on BF and get the lowdown.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Pack as light as you can. It was mentioned before for women not to carry purses. That's true.

Also, be sure to wear the lightest coat/jacket you can stand. You will get hot and you will want to shed layers, but you don't want to have to carry them around.

ameize
Black Friday Pro

Postby ameize » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:51 am

I third? fourth? the idea of bringing your own extra large tote bag. You can maneuver aisles quicker and don't have to wait in the crowd to actually get a cart either. Ikea ones are the best, IMO.

My other tip is to get the actual physical flyers on t-giving (though they won't be "new" to all of us! ;) ) and put a post it on the top of each with all the things you want. You might also note flyer page numbers or use little post it tags to note specific items inside. That way, you won't forget anything and if you can't find it, you can flip right to it to ask an associate for help. I find this technique ESPECIALLY helpful at Kohls, b/c they put so many seasonal items in the aisles and it doesn't always make sense where they are located.

Also - Have FUN! And let others have fun too!

kelly2
Black Friday Pro

Postby kelly2 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Try to have FUN!!! I have stood in line with some WONDERFUL people and we always have a blast! Take it in stride :)

kelly2
Black Friday Pro

Postby kelly2 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:31 pm

guitarist19862005 wrote:Pack as light as you can. It was mentioned before for women not to carry purses. That's true.

Also, be sure to wear the lightest coat/jacket you can stand. You will get hot and you will want to shed layers, but you don't want to have to carry them around.

The one time per year I break out the fanny pack!

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:46 pm

ameize wrote: note flyer page numbers or use little post it tags to note specific items inside.

I'll give a thumbs up to this one. No matter how you keep your list, include flyer page numbers on it. This will save you a ton of time when you need to ask an associate for help in locating an item.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 am

kelly2 wrote:The one time per year I break out the fanny pack!

I don't even know if I could go for it then. :oops:

kelly2
Black Friday Pro

Postby kelly2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 pm

guitarist19862005 wrote:
kelly2 wrote:The one time per year I break out the fanny pack!

I don't even know if I could go for it then. :oops:

HA!!! LOL A place for my keys and cash/cc. Of course it is hidden under my hoodie :) LOL

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm

kelly2 wrote:HA!!! LOL A place for my keys and cash/cc. Of course it is hidden under my hoodie :) LOL

Just checking. Even though you may be out in your pajamas, you need to be a little stylish. :lol:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

have a line buddy and make sure your cell phone is CHARGED!!!!
nothing like having a buddy to get you a spot in line and then you can't get ahold of them to find them.

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Be friendly. Someone already mentioned this but the two years I have gone I have had to rely on someone I made friends with while waiting. Last year I got a set of cookware for someone and they grabbed an art set for me even though we had never met each other and haven't seen each other since. It is also nice to have someone to chat with while you wait. Also bring something, like a book, to keep you occupied while you wait. Sometimes conversation can dry up and the wait can get boring.
BF nut in training!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Write down your multi store shopping plan with an alternative for each route. Don't expect to park anywhere near the places you normally do.

Scout out the locations of items and don't plan on getting every top priority. Get price matches pre-approved by a manager who will be there when the sale begins or remember their name to avoid confusion during the sales hours.

I have many more, but I'll share the fun. Wonder how many newer site members will read these posts because I will refer to threads like these and the how to use the search feature.

kmwjdizlh
Black Friday Pro

Postby kmwjdizlh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 am

Im not sure if this has been mentioned but you may want to bring cash with you as well as your debit card. Ive been stores before where there system was down and couldnt accept cards.CRAZY I know but its happened to me before.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”