Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should know

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Re: Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should kn

Postby BF364 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 am

If it will seriously wreck your holiday to not get some item from a particular BF sale and you cannot get it online from the store's website, go to the store before BF (ideallly as late as the day before Thanksgiving) and physically go figure out where that item is going to be located in the store. It may be wrapped up on a pallet, it may be up high on a shelf, but locate it so when you return on sale day you go immediately to the right place. This means you can get checked out faster and on to other places faster.

Also be nice to the store employees. Generally speaking if you are nice to them first they will do their best to help you get what you want. I have found this to be less true of Wal-Mart (IMHO the worst big retailer to work for) than COSTCO (IMHO the best big retailer to work for) but starting surly is just not a good idea.

I shop solo, cartless if I can help it and use one of those traveller's neck wallets all the time so no purses or fanny packs for me. If I were trying to score many different BF deals from more than 2 or 3 stores over BF weekend I would buddy up, but since I do BF less and less, I find going solo easiest.

BF lines are no place for young children, pets, or anyone frail. That said do not be mean to others unless you are provoked (and even then it's better to alert a higher authority like a store manager or a law enforcement officer and let them handle the problem).

My biggest tip (and the explanation behind my userid here) is not to strictly limit your shopping to Black Friday season. I am on the prowl for ideas and gifts for people on my list the other 364 days of the year. I find so much for them outside of the high (and increasingly rowdy) holiday shopping season and at better prices that I rarely have to put up with BF shenanigans to get my shopping and gifting done anymore. Online is a cool alternative to BF, but knowing that you got a good deal still counts even if it's nowhere near December.

I get the best deals on Xmas stuff much further away from Christmas than most people realize (brand new $3 winter coats in classic styles in August instead of $30 or more each in the fall & winter, $20 electric blankets in July that are $90 each in November, cheap summer stuff right now when everyone is thinking warm thoughts but not about buying warm weather stuff), I stash them in a closet, and I keep a list of my cache of potential presents plus I check the closet in October so I know what not to buy come Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve. This means I also have goodies on hand for birthdays and other occasions as well as some things that are nice but generic in the event I get a an unexpected present and want to reciprocate or I have an unexpected reason to be generous. Knowing that you can walk away from BF lines and insanity takes the pressure and tension away from this weekend and actually eases the household budget considerably, especially if you have been doing this for decades now as I have been.

cjhj11
Black Friday Newbie

Postby cjhj11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 pm

After fighting the line-ups and missing out on time with the family, I finally decided to start looking for Black Friday deals online. I have found great Black Friday savings with online merchants, and it's even better when I can get free shipping. I know this kind of goes against the whole Black Friday experience, but is it really so bad to stay home with my comfy slippers, a cup of coffee, and shop from the comfort of my home? :wink:
Find the best deals and steals online!
http://deals-and-steals.org

locos1955
Black Friday Newbie

Postby locos1955 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Where is the walmart.com/blackfridaycard suppost to be registered, I can't find anything on the web, was this a hoax to get us to buy something they don't have??

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:18 pm

locos1955 wrote:Where is the walmart.com/blackfridaycard suppost to be registered, I can't find anything on the web, was this a hoax to get us to buy something they don't have??

What do you mean? The URL you just specified is where you register the card you received if you were in line to buy one of the 3 guaranteed products, and they sold out so you got the card. At least, that's what it looks like to me.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm

do not get to target over an hour after opening.. find a pair of cheap gloves... and expect to cut the HUGE line because you only have one item.

i saw this last night.... a couple were wandering up to the front of the checkout line (which was about an hour wait) and i heard them say "is this the checkout line????" and then as they got to the front where the target employee was telling people which checkout to go to i saw them ask if they had to get in line for the one item they had. the lady said yes. needless to say those people didn't buy their gloves.

also, please do not go on your first black friday experience and complain about lines... or the crowds..... it really kinda makes you look like an idiot.

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:42 pm

After seeing a few newbies last night at Walmart (including my two teens):

Do not underestimate what a Black Friday mob can be or do. I saw people that literally looked shell-shocked by 8:15- staggering, wide-eyed-- sad sight.

Do not assume because your first store was bad they all will be or vice versa. My kids got to see near-riots at Walmart, but saw the organized chaos at Kohl's and Target and the peaceful, neighborly feel of Boscov's.

Over-plan (have your next two steps and a plan b always ready) and under-expect. With that strategy, you are more likely to get what you want and not be too disappointed if you don't. I rarely get every last thing on my list, but I hardly ever miss anything I label as "really want" or "Must have" (vs: "If I see" or "nice to get")

Skillet9886
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skillet9886 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Not necessarily my first recommendation, but we instituted something new this year that worked out very well. Walmart was our second stop, where in addition to some of our planned items, we bought a set of walkie-talkies. Granted, Walmart was the store we probably could have benefit from them most, but we didn't have any before then. Cell phone reception can be spotty and you don't always hear your phone ring when you're in a crowded store, so we used the walkie-talkies the rest of the night. We even made code names for each other and had a lot of fun with it.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Skillet9886 wrote:Not necessarily my first recommendation, but we instituted something new this year that worked out very well. Walmart was our second stop, where in addition to some of our planned items, we bought a set of walkie-talkies. Granted, Walmart was the store we probably could have benefit from them most, but we didn't have any before then. Cell phone reception can be spotty and you don't always hear your phone ring when you're in a crowded store, so we used the walkie-talkies the rest of the night. We even made code names for each other and had a lot of fun with it.

They are also a lot easier to hear on a day like bf. Faster than phones and no reception problems.

METALFAN
Black Friday Pro

Postby METALFAN » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

Be patient. Know what you want ahead of time. Expect to be pushed, poked, prodded, and yelled at but don't let it get to you. Focus on the task. Enjoy the experience. Some people let it get too stressful. I enjoy it.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”