Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should know

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should know

Postby BFVet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 am

Don't worry about getting into the store, worry about getting OUT of the store! I think this is the biggest oversight and biggest mistake that many first time (and some veteran) black friday shoppers make. You get together your list of stores, know what you want to buy, know where the stuff should be located, etc. And then your entire plan goes to hell in the first 30 minutes because you find yourself in an hour+ checkout line. Then it snowballs because you get to the next store later than planned and their checkout lines are long so you get even further behind.

Don't get held up at a store looking for one item that you can live without while the checkout lines grow (unless it is, of course, your one "must have" item). It typically isn't worth it to get one item at this store if it is going to cost you 5 items at the next 3 stores. I am probably more extreme than most, but if I get to a store for opening time (assuming it is a store you can actually get in at opening time if you arrive by opening time), my goal is to be out of the store within 15 minutes of opening time. Frequently, I'll have a cart full of stuff and be in the checkout lane within 5 minutes. With the staggered opening times in recent years, I'm typically able to get to 4+ stores for opening.

Finally, don't spend too much time debating whether to buy something while others are filling up the checkout lanes. If you might want it, just buy it and return it later if you change your mind (know the store return policies, of course). Midnight to 8:00am isn't a time for debating with yourself. That can be done before, and after.

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Re: Vets, post your ONE BEST TIP that site newbies should kn

Postby bogart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Have patience and don't think you're entitled to whatever it is you came for.

Things will be nuts, people will be rude and tired, and stores will run out of stuff and have ignorant staff members who really couldn't care less if you don't get your widget.

Be humane. Be courteous. Be a better person.

If you can't abide by this, stay home.

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Agree with all above--Patience...

I take a partner...we tag team maneuvering through the crowd to find the things we need throw them stack them pile them all in one cart and get to the checkout. If we accidentally double up on items we sit them out during check out. The check out line is the worst part especially at Walmart.

I as a veteran have a question for the others......Could I have someone with an empty cart posted up near registers so we get in line quicker..you know run grab stuff and throw in cart to check out quicker?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Unless you absolutely have to, do not grab a shopping cart. When you go after something, zero in on where it's at and go directly to it, don't pass go, do not collect $200. Also those back isles that nobody ever shops in? Use those to your advantage to get to your items quicker. If you stay in the main isles, you're going to get caught up in traffic.

As far as having someone with a cart near the front to be close to the lines, that's fine to do however, by the time you run back and forth to stock the buggy, you're going to lose just as much time had you stood in line in the first place.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

awestley1980
Black Friday Pro

Postby awestley1980 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Overnight Campers in the colder regions.

Use a cot instead of an air mattress. That air in the mattress becomes really cold.
------------------
Anthony
Twitter | Facebook

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 pm

We usually have three of us! Two of us go through the store, one gets in line. He holds the cart so we can throw all our stuff in to carry out.

Bexx
Black Friday Pro

Postby Bexx » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Do NOT bring your kids. People are ruthless and it is no place for little ones. My daughter started going with me when she was 14. There is no way I would have taken her before then it is too late/early for them and a lot of times you have to wait outside in the cold.

Bexx
Black Friday Pro

Postby Bexx » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Also, once you have your items. Don't take your eyes off them.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Get to know those around you in line. They will either be your greatest allies or your biggest enemies.

This applies ESPECIALLY if you're in the front and plan on being there for greater than 24 hours.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 pm

In colder climates a camping portable propane heater is your best friend.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 am

I second the "don't bring your kids", if you do, you will be "that person".. Seriously if you can't shop without bringing your small kids, then stay home.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am

teknoge3k wrote:I second the "don't bring your kids", if you do, you will be "that person".. Seriously if you can't shop without bringing your small kids, then stay home.

Truth.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

stepheng
Black Friday Pro

Postby stepheng » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Know exactly where everything is in the store ahead of time and plan a route to get to each item rather than running back and forth around big stores.
"Do right." -Erk Russell

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

It's only a deal if you are going to use it, gift it, or donate it! Don't get caught in the frenzy of buying stuff you are not going to do anything with! With that said - there are lots of people in need out there... if you see an amazing deal that you don't need, think about getting a few things to share! I got $700 worth of games and toys to donate $100 in 2010!

Kelly720
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kelly720 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:29 pm

iamkristen wrote:It's only a deal if you are going to use it, gift it, or donate it! Don't get caught in the frenzy of buying stuff you are not going to do anything with! With that said - there are lots of people in need out there... if you see an amazing deal that you don't need, think about getting a few things to share! I got $700 worth of games and toys to donate $100 in 2010!

Awesome idea! I did this last year. We donate to any soldier.com. I scored tons of DVDs very cheap! Also got some footballs, etc to send. I also donate to a santa's workshop in my town that donates to families in need. I love getting all this stuff on BF. It so puts me in the holiday spirit!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”