Buying and Selling

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

nodashi
Black Friday Newbie

Buying and Selling

Postby nodashi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 pm

I dont know if this action is shunned in this community buy whats the best items to buy and than resell to make some money? The thing is I have to sell it on Amazon so I was thinking of since i have a 1300 budget to buy like 6 xbox 360 Holiday bundles for $200 and sell them for $300 on amazon new i figure ill make somewhere around $550 after tax. Is there anything better i can buy and sell for a better profit? Thanks :3

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Re: Buying and Selling

Postby BFVet » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:09 pm

It used to be much easy 6-7 years ago. Now there are too many people doing the same thing so Ebay gets a glut of Black Friday items posted in the next couple weeks. Increased supply results in lower prices being realized. Oddly enough, I think you may look back 2 weeks from now and find that the Barbie Glamour Jet at Target is the best product available this Black Friday for reselling. You're generally best off going with a kids item in limited supply because you've got parents (or Santa) who has promised the product to their child, and then finds themselves in the position of needing to pay whatever necessary to acquire it. I did this a couple years ago with a limited edition lego set from WalMart. You'll also want to consider shipping costs and ease of shipment.

And, yes, such activities are generally frowned upon. Reselling extra items that you pick up (i.e., you wait in line for a laptop, and pick up a GPS because its cheap) is one thing. But buying out the entire stock of a limited supply item with the idea of reselling them all for a profit is another.

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Get ready to be flamed, but serious you won't make that much a profit. You will not be the only who will resell on amazon or ebay. They will be flooded with resellers.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 pm

killasnake wrote:Get ready to be flamed, but serious you won't make that much a profit. You will not be the only who will resell on amazon or ebay. They will be flooded with resellers.

+1

The last item that flipped with a significant profit was the Wii since stores didn't have many on hand. I remember people lining up Sunday morning outside TRU hoping the store had Wii's.

It's noteworthy there are no articles about "hard to find" toys or other items this year.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Seems XBox 360 is 'everywhere.' I'd think if you were wanting to make a profit it would be on a hard to find item?
I know myself I'd rather spend the $$ in a store to get one this time of year, than spend more $$ getting one on line from Ebay or Amazon. In fact, I'm in the market for a Wii and I refuse to pay that much more for one...I'd just save my $$ and wait. But that's me...
Also, another thing to consider, do you have people willing to help you get them? Because it seems as though they would have a limit on how many you could buy especially at that particular sale price. In the end you may not really be making anything if you factor all the work you'd be putting into getting them.

I'm sure there is a market for this stuff <or there wouldn't be ebay or amazon!>, but I just don't know...I think like Vols44 said, hard to find stuff is the definite way to go.

But that said, people like me...wouldn't matter, I don't shop Amazon or Ebay this time of year. If i can't go to the store and get it physically in my hand, I don't want it LOL The only thing I order this time of year are small things like stuffed animals for stocking stuffers, etc.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Do they even allow you to buy that many of the xbox on black friday?

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:41 am

I personally believe it's your money do what you please. Some stores do have a limit on how many items you can buy some stores don't. I know the darts are going to come but I don't see how people get upset with someone who got in line early enough to buy more than one of something. If you knew you REALLY wanted an item and you know how BF works why complain when that one person has bought 5 laptops THAT the store LET them buy? Just my opinion.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:46 am

azerigold wrote:
But that said, people like me...wouldn't matter, I don't shop Amazon or Ebay this time of year. If i can't go to the store and get it physically in my hand, I don't want it LOL The only thing I order this time of year are small things like stuffed animals for stocking stuffers, etc.

I'm the complete opposite. I'd much rather sit at home and buy every single thing on Amazon and get it in 2 days with the free shipping, than go out somewhere and have to deal with ignorant people.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 am

teknoge3k wrote:
azerigold wrote:

I'm the complete opposite. I'd much rather sit at home and buy every single thing on Amazon and get it in 2 days with the free shipping, than go out somewhere and have to deal with ignorant people.

If I can't get an item 'on sale' then I'll just buy it at the stores regular price. Unless I am buying from a store on line, but then I worry about buying things like that this time of year and not getting them, something happening to my order, etc. I want to make sure I have a receipt that is legit, warranty, etc. on any electronic item I buy. You just don't know who you can trust on ebay/amazon IMO. But then I know people who have ordered stuff and got ripped off, and I don't want to be one of those people LOL

Besides, I like going out to the stores. I am a stay at home mom year round when I am not doing photo stuff, and I enjoy being able to get out of the house and do my shopping.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 am

Understandable Azeri... I don't buy anything used from Amazon though, everything I get is new.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:22 pm

BFVet wrote:I think you may look back 2 weeks from now and find that the Barbie Glamour Jet at Target is the best product available this Black Friday for reselling.

heh heh.. nailed it. Bought 2 of these - one for DD and one for resale. Just got over $100 for it on Ebay after paying only $39.99 (less 5% for using my Target card). Probably should have bought more, but that would have been rude (and not sure I would have had a lot of room in the car for them all).

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 pm

BFVet wrote:
BFVet wrote:I think you may look back 2 weeks from now and find that the Barbie Glamour Jet at Target is the best product available this Black Friday for reselling.

heh heh.. nailed it. Bought 2 of these - one for DD and one for resale. Just got over $100 for it on Ebay after paying only $39.99 (less 5% for using my Target card). Probably should have bought more, but that would have been rude (and not sure I would have had a lot of room in the car for them all).

Is this the one that I saw for like $79 at Kmart or Walmart? hehe...

If I had known those Lalaloopsy silly hair dolls were a HOT item I would have snatched them even if they were not on sale. I just called around trying to find them for Steph and felt like I had stepped into a 'Jingle all the way' scenerio, the people answering phones at the stores were like 'Uh, no they are one of the hottest items this year, we are sold out.' Of course if I had found one I would not have charged her any different than what the store charged me, but wow...to have some and sell on line, hehe...

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 pm

thats why it irritates me....there are 60 on ebay for ungodly prices one woman had 10 of them selling them at twice what she had paid plus 17$ shipping. That is BS and should not be allowed.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

steffj89 wrote:thats why it irritates me....there are 60 on ebay for ungodly prices one woman had 10 of them selling them at twice what she had paid plus 17$ shipping. That is BS and should not be allowed.

Wow that's crazy! I just couldn't do that, ya know? I'd maybe buy 2-3 and start the bidding $10 more than what I paid, and I always make postage on anything I sell reasonable.
I don't have a problem with people selling them, especially if your extremely desperate, but again, doubling the starting bid/buy it now and jacking up the postage....can we say GRINCH?

Unfortunately people will pay those prices, that, or the lady will not sell her dolls and have to go lower at some point.
I personally would never buy it for double the price no matter how desperate. My kids would just have to want something else or settle with something just as fun.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm

yeah...there are several listed with the Buy It Now option with the buy now price at 75$-120$....I am sorry I love my kids and I love niece, but 4 times the origin price of toy + shipping .....ummmm not happening here for sure!!!
steff

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”