How much time do you spend planning your BF shopping?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

How much time do you spend planning your BF shopping?

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 am

Between reviewing ads, developing my shopping list and devising my overall plan of where I need to be and when I need to be there, I probably spend between 20 & 30 hours planning for 10 hours of shopping. It typically pays off by getting most of the things I really want. The biggest reasons I need a solid plan is (a) so I can get what I want and get out of the store without spending an hour+ in a checkout line and (b) knowing the sequence of the stores I'm going to be at to maximize shopping time and minimize the time I spend driving around.

Now if you include the time I spend on this site and just generally screwing around and having "fun" for black Friday, its likely upwards of 100 hours.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: How much time do you spend planning your BF shopping?

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am

Well I am on this site all year round, so as soon as the ads come out, I start browsing them and adding things to my list on bfads.net as I see things I want. Then this week (yesterday actually) I go through my list and delete things that I don't really want or that's duplicates of other stores. After I purge my shopping list on here, I print it out. Then I make a spreadsheet and order it by store opening times. The earliest opening store obviously comes first, latest last. After I get that made, I print out my list, and get excited about Friday. Not counting the time it takes me to look at all of the ads on here and add them to my list, I maybe spend 30 minutes.
On my list, I probably have 20 things to buy. I'll end up with 19 of them guaranteed.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am

All I have left to do is finalize what fro other stores I am PMing at Walmart, which will probably take me about 30 minutes. Overall, I think I have spent about 5 hours doing specific planning, and I have no doubt I will get 95% of what I want.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am

teknoge3k wrote:Not counting the time it takes me to look at all of the ads

Doh! That's the most time consuming part! :lol:

Your post is like those companies that lose a billion dollars but then have their press release explaining how they actually made money if you don't count all the things they don't count. :wink:

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:17 am

BFVet wrote:Your post is like those companies that lose a billion dollars but then have their press release explaining how they actually made money if you don't count all the things they don't count. :wink:

I'm a simple person. I'm smart enough to stay away from places like Best Buy because I know what a rip-off they are and how high they are. I'll end up going to Walmart, Sears, Lowe's, Office Max, Home Depot, Walgreens, Staples, and Tractor Supply. They don't require much planning. I don't need to really strategize except for Walmart, because I run in, grab exactly what I want and run out. I don't look, talk, stop, etc. If you want to talk to me, call or text me while I'm driving store to store, not during. :lol:
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't put a whole lot into it, really. I browse the ads to see what's in them, and then later, I make a list of items I'd like to try and get.
I started that list last night. I always compare items on my list, then decide, do I go to this store, or this store. So far I have eliminated Target. I know Target is a good store, but there is nothing on my list that I can't get somewhere else that I plan to go...with similar prices. And anything I'd want in their ad I could price match if I wanted.

I still have a few more stores to compare, but really when I get 'busy' with planning it's probably an hour so, and then however much time it takes to sort the ads in the newspaper <I do this while cooking Tday dinner>, and then I add page #s for the items on my list since some of the ads I can't see a page # at the bottom. I also double check the ads.

tandlmomma
Black Friday Pro

Postby tandlmomma » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

lol I spend A LOT Of time on here too. Then there is the strategy of BF shopping too, but that's taken about 3 hours when you consider revisions that I had to make to my list, etc. I tend to overlook things sometimes and so I go over the ads w/ a fine tooth comb so I make sure I'm not missing something. For ex: I was planning on getting the paper jamz at Target on BF for $10, but then I realized I skipped over it in the Walmart ad and it's $7.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:39 pm

I spend time on the boards, looking at adscans, making my shopping list, revising my list, and then making a spreadsheet based on time and store. I usually talk to my shopping buddy and find out what she will be looking for then I scope the ads for her and on Wednesday night we get together and revise it according to our needs.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:59 am

I am on the boards in and out throughout the year. However, from Late October till BF, I am connected in some way to the site almost all day, studying the ads. (computer, cell phone browser, and now Iphone app!)

josiology
Black Friday Pro

Postby josiology » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:13 am

"How much time do you spend planning your BF shopping?"

Too damn much! :lol:

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 am

Well since my last post...I spend a lot of time thinking about my BF strategy LOL I think I have it figured out now, but whew.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 am

I stay on the board most of the year. However once rumors start flying on here and the ads roll out i look for the best deals I can find in terms of grossing the most savings. I spend every day on here around that time of the year. Or on my phone during my black friday sleep over.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

way more than i should! and most of it happens while i'm at work ;)

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm

bfaddict wrote:way more than i should! and most of it happens while i'm at work ;)

I'm thinking about activating my wifi for my phone about 2 weeks before BF so I can bring my netbook & keep up to date on breaks....so many sites blocked at work it isn't even funny!!

ANGWife
Black Friday Pro

Postby ANGWife » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 am

I do a lot of planning in the last few days. I enjoy looking at the ads as soon as they come out, but I only skim them until it's go time. Cause I usually base my xmas list off the ads.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”