Kindle, Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Kindle, Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire?

Postby shanyo76 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I recently borrowed my friends Kindle and I LOVE IT!!! I don't want to give it back! Lol. The regular Kindles are only $79 right now on Amazon. I was thinking of ordering one but I heard about the new Kindle Fire coming out next month. It sounds pretty awesome. Is anyone planning on getting one and if so, why? Does anyone think the Fire will possibly be a BF deal anywhere?

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Im hoping to pick up a Fire for the GF. she just recently got to where she wanted a kindle or another e-reader of some type. she liked the kindle at $100 or so, but wasnt too thrilled with the screen size. I told her to wait a week, and the Fire was announced. the price is a bit more, but it does also serve more functions than just an e-reader. the GF already buys a lot of her music on the amazon store, so adding in video and books will be simple for her as well. I might go for one myself, since its android based and has tons of hacking potential.

I doubt there will be any deals on it, as its at a killer price point already. plus, amazon has timed the release of it so well for the xmas season, esp considering that it comes with a free month of prime. (at least i think it does. my brain is kind of melted at the moment).

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

the only plus side to the regular kindle is that it won't strain your eyes like a color screen will.
and with most color screens they're hard to see when youre out in the sunlight so i wonder if the fire will have the same issue - since one of the big selling points for the kindle is that you can use it out in the sunlight with no issue.

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Postby shanyo76 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

bfaddict wrote:the only plus side to the regular kindle is that it won't strain your eyes like a color screen will.
and with most color screens they're hard to see when youre out in the sunlight so i wonder if the fire will have the same issue - since one of the big selling points for the kindle is that you can use it out in the sunlight with no issue.

This is exactly my concern. I think I will wait for reviews before buying. I may have to sit on my hands though, lol.

robert_cowper
Black Friday Pro

Re: Kindle, Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire?

Postby robert_cowper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 pm

shanyo76 wrote:I recently borrowed my friends Kindle and I LOVE IT!!! I don't want to give it back! Lol. The regular Kindles are only $79 right now on Amazon. I was thinking of ordering one but I heard about the new Kindle Fire coming out next month. It sounds pretty awesome. Is anyone planning on getting one and if so, why? Does anyone think the Fire will possibly be a BF deal anywhere?

I have a Kindle 2 (bought in 2010) and pre-ordered the Fire. I'll confess, I'm an Amazon fiend. I use Prime for the shipping, Prime for the free streaming video, I religously use their video and music stores. The switch to the Fire was a no brainer because I will be using it for more than just reading.

If you're going to mostly use it for reading, I would suggest sticking with the regular Kindle. As others mentioned, the screen is as easy to read as a page and there is no glare/strain. Also, something that nobody mentioned, the battery life is SUPERB. They say that without the wi-fi on you can get weeks, they aren't kidding. Throughout 2010, I charged mine like 10 times. The Fire's battery will be much less.

Where you will be reading is a concern also. If being outside (maybe the beach) for long periods of time is a possibility, you're best with the regular Kindle. No worries on losing your charge and no worries on glare on the screen. If you're going to be in the house, reading/watching in bed mostly, then maybe the Fire is a good option.

I'm happy I'll have both. In the past, I was afraid to bring my Kindle anywhere it may get damaged (i.e. the pool), but now it's my backup Kindle and I'll probably end up using it more than ever before.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 pm

I just picked up the $79 Kindle & love it. I have an iPad & really didn't want another touch screen hanging around. I was using the Kindle app but hated the glare. I like how it doesn't strain my eyes & even better, the battery charge lasted me 3 weeks - and I read at least an hour a day. If you plan to look for books using your computer & just send them to the Kindle, the $79 one is perfect. If you plan on surfing the Internet & browsing books you may want a touch one. It really depends on how you plan to use it.

Best part = free books on Amazon!

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 am

Really thinking about ordering the fire, but ive heard they may be coming out with a slightly larger fire, decisions decisons
On the Hunt for Great Deals!

jackpolet
Black Friday Newbie

Fire

Postby jackpolet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 am

New coming kindle fire's web browsing is faster than other kindles. Also it has more storage with million ebooks, songs and movies. So I like to have kindle fire now.

heatherbade
Black Friday Pro

Postby heatherbade » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 am

Could someone explain what these different tablets are? I thought the Kindle was just to read books. I didn't think they were like the Ipads. Sorry tablet for Dummies needed here!!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 am

heatherbade wrote:Could someone explain what these different tablets are? I thought the Kindle was just to read books. I didn't think they were like the Ipads. Sorry tablet for Dummies needed here!!

the regular kindle is for reading basically. but i've been told that you can download some games and stuff. i think my friend has scrabble. but it's all black and white.
i just realized the topic says "kindle touch" and i've never heard of that before

kindle fire is amazon's new kindle which is basically a tablet (since all tablets can be e-readers too). it's an android based system so you can get all sorts of games and stuff from the android market on amazon AND with amazon's new cloud music service you can also store all of your music on there as well. (kinda like itunes)
however, the kindle fire does NOT come with a 3G option so you're stuck with being able to use the online aspect only when you're around free wifi.
i think there's a rumor that a 3G version will come out next year but you'll have to pay for the 3G.

currently with the 3G version of the regular kindle you do not have to pay for that 3G (except the 3G model is a bit more expensive than the non-3G) so you can download books almost anywhere.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 am

i just preordered a kindle fire yesterday for my mom as a xmas gift to my dad. i'm excited to play around with it :D
it doesn't come out till nov 15 but my confirmation email said it would be delivered shortly after.

johnson06_2004
Black Friday Pro

Postby johnson06_2004 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 am

can u txt from the regular kindle

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 pm

i don't think so

i don't understand the whole texting thing from a tablet anyways (although i did learn that you can)

from what i'm told you can get online with the regular kindle but its a very very basic/raw internet experience.

heatherbade
Black Friday Pro

Postby heatherbade » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 pm

:D

Thank you!!! That helps alot!!

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:44 pm

bfaddict wrote:i don't think so

i don't understand the whole texting thing from a tablet anyways (although i did learn that you can)

from what i'm told you can get online with the regular kindle but its a very very basic/raw internet experience.

Can you get any children's books with pictures on any of the Kindles? (Thinking something for a 9 year old.)

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”