Looking back, what are your best tips this year?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:10 pm

been there....done that.....on the cross body purse........Kimg

It makes a huge difference not having to worry about it falling off my shoulder or accidently setting it down.

make sure to take tissue for your freezing nose if you are in line outside

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

To be honest. I think the best thing to do is shop online. I believe Black Friday is Dead.

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

I wouldn't say it's dead, but retailers are putting out deals that tend to be as good (or better) after BF. Only bigelectronics like TV's seem to be more heavily discounted on BF than at any other time

nfalks
Black Friday Pro

Postby nfalks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:49 am

It's nice to have panchos/umbrellas when it is raining outside while you wait. But what do you do when it stops raining, everyone puts everything in the cars (so as to not be bothered with it during the mad dash), and it starts raining 5 minutes before doors open.

spideysensetingling
Black Friday Pro

Postby spideysensetingling » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm

nfalks wrote:It's nice to have panchos/umbrellas when it is raining outside while you wait. But what do you do when it stops raining, everyone puts everything in the cars (so as to not be bothered with it during the mad dash), and it starts raining 5 minutes before doors open.

Your right but the problem is you have the risk of getting wet and not getting your item because of the rush. At least online you can stay warm and have a fighting chance.

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm

spideysensetingling wrote:To be honest. I think the best thing to do is shop online. I believe Black Friday is Dead.

Buy online from places you trust to actually sell you the item. Otherwise go to the stores...

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:06 pm

caravaggio wrote:Buy online from places you trust to actually sell you the item. Otherwise go to the stores...

This. Read the online retailer section and see how many orders were canceled this year.

Skillet9886
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skillet9886 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:23 am

spideysensetingling wrote:At least online you can stay warm and have a fighting chance.

Am I the only one who loves the "in-person" Black Friday? Seriously, I go more for the people watching and strategizing every year than for the deals (though I have gotten some fantastic deals in the past several years). I just think it's incredibly entertaining to see hundreds of people at 4 AM frantically shopping.

Second best people watching, only behind Disney World (my favorites there are the "I'll give you something to cry about!" parents).

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 am

Skillet9886 wrote:
spideysensetingling wrote:At least online you can stay warm and have a fighting chance.

Am I the only one who loves the "in-person" Black Friday? Seriously, I go more for the people watching and strategizing every year than for the deals (though I have gotten some fantastic deals in the past several years). I just think it's incredibly entertaining to see hundreds of people at 4 AM frantically shopping.

Second best people watching, only behind Disney World (my favorites there are the "I'll give you something to cry about!" parents).

No, I love to go. I did a bit of online shopping, but it didn't have the same thrill & satisfaction as actual in store shopping! My tip is bring snacks! Then you don't have to leave your line for them! And go with a buddy (or 2) so you can tag team or get in line while the other shops.

doobie
Black Friday Pro

Postby doobie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:55 am

Taking a linemate is the best.... I know some are rebels and don't want to be slowed by someone else, but having a mate really really helped me. My 16 y/o daughter was with me. She handled the cart and shopped for the things she wanted while I was in the electronics line. After she got her stuff she called my cell and I told her to get in the checkout line. I got my camcorder, memory, electronics stuff, etc and met her at checkout. She was half way through and arguing with a line jumper ( I was so proud she spoke up to an adult trying to take advantage of a teenager). While she waited in line I was able to get many other things before checkout. It worked perfectly

badchedda
Black Friday Pro

Postby badchedda » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 pm

1. On my list (spreadsheet) I always put the page number where the items appears in the ad. That way, if I need help finding it in the store, it can quickly find it in the ad and point to it. Store personnel are usually familiar with the items in the ad, but might not understand your description of the product.

2. I print out multiple copies of my list and keep them in the car. That way, if I set one down in a store (or it just gets beat up from carrying it around), I still have access to my list.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Ummm check the deals table in the electronics area in stores that have them??
I.e. I wanted an HD Camcorder with optical zoom,dual stabilization, stereo recording, image editing, recognized brand name, SD HC 6 x, good battery time duration, active shutter,touch sensitive screen!,etc. for under 200 dollars.

And I found the Samsung HD camcorder Q10 for 99 dollars new!! at Sams Club!

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 pm

spideysensetingling wrote:To be honest. I think the best thing to do is shop online. I believe Black Friday is Dead.

Lol

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:55 pm

badchedda wrote:1. On my list (spreadsheet) I always put the page number where the items appears in the ad. That way, if I need help finding it in the store, it can quickly find it in the ad and point to it. Store personnel are usually familiar with the items in the ad, but might not understand your description of the product.

2. I print out multiple copies of my list and keep them in the car. That way, if I set one down in a store (or it just gets beat up from carrying it around), I still have access to my list.

Page number - great idea!!

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am

I typically do Walmart first. Since they are 24 hours I get there an hour or so before the deals are set to go on sale, that away I can get a shopping cart. Last year I am glad I did because they let the midnight sale items start going before midnight <just couldn't check out until midnight>. It was a few minutes after 11pm.

I make sure I have my list with page number of the ad, and if I am price matching I make sure I remember to write down from what store I want to price match from/page #.
HIGHLIGHT the items you want the most/anticipate will sell out the fastest so you don't have to search your list for them.

I don't carry my purse anymore. Since I don't typically stand in line hours before the store opens, I just don't need my purse. It's cold out, so I just put my wallet, list and a pen in my inside coat pocket and keep it zipped closed. I don't like to fuss with a purse on BF, too annoying, especially since I typically do BF alone.

I used to carry cash back before I got my own checking account. I don't recommend carrying cash, some sure, but I think it's much better to use your debit/credit cards. I was always so nervous someone would see me pulling out cash, or that I'd loose some.

If you are going to be out for a while, eat some leftovers, just avoid the turkey LOL I always heat up some leftovers, so I don't get hungry while I am out. I typically keep a cereal bar, or something of that sort, and a bottle of water in my SUV that I can munch on/drink between stores. I can go in a store and come back to my bottle of water, but pop goes flat so fast, YUCK.
I may take my oldest daughter with me this year, so I'll make sure I have snacks/drinks for her.

Fill up your gas tank in advance of the holidays <Thanksgiving & BF haha> :lol:

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”