Looking back, what are your best tips this year?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Looking back, what are your best tips this year?

Postby buynstuff4fun » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 am

This year I used a fanny pack instead of a purse. (Okay, I know this is kind of geeky, but it worked!) It was so awesome being able to have both hands free! I will do this for years to come.

Also, I again price adjusted at Target, which I will do each year!

What other tips did you try this year that were successful?

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 pm

I put a spread sheet together for each store, and lumped together all like products, so I wouldn't have to wander back & forth. I made duplicate copies, 1 for me & 1 for my hubby, so we could split up. Also, at the top of the sheet I put what time the store opened.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm

mabrey wrote:I put a spread sheet together for each store, and lumped together all like products, so I wouldn't have to wander back & forth. I made duplicate copies, 1 for me & 1 for my hubby, so we could split up. Also, at the top of the sheet I put what time the store opened.

I always do this. It comes in handy. I have the ad, as well as my list that I've printed from bfads.net and we go into attack mode and I've gotten everything I've went for every year, for the past 7 years.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 pm

I bought to huge reusable bags from Marshalls to carry my things in each store instead of a cart. It also held my ads so I could pricematch(which I forgot to do :oops: ). But is was especially helpful in Walmart carrying movies and games and getting through the store.

Skillet9886
Black Friday Pro

Postby Skillet9886 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm

I consolidated my list on bfads with any items my boyfriend, brother, and his girlfriend were looking for (the 4 of us shopped together). I had the list available on my phone, so I could refer back when we were in each store to make sure there wasn't anything we'd missed. Much easier than carrying around ads or even a paper list.

Best thing I learned this year: check out at the garden center in Walmart. Not only was it a zero minute wait to check out (as opposed to the endless check out line I'm sure we're all familiar with), but they put a random pallet of $98 19" LCD TVs in the garden center at my store, and now I have a new TV in my bedroom. :D

Fanny pack is a good idea; my shoulder was killing me by mid-morning, and I had cleaned out my purse before going out! I paid in cash this year, to force myself to stay within budget, but normally I just go with pockets -- phone in the front pocket, plastic in the back pocket. Much easier than carrying anything. I just didn't feel comfortable carrying that much cash in my pockets. It was a good shopping year. :wink:

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

I use a mini purse. It has the functionality of a fanny pack without the "geeky tourist" vibe. Similar to this one- http://tinyurl.com/26bh2dw
The number one thing I learned this year is that sitting outside for 6+ hours and then running around all weekend compromises your immune system. Bring airborne.
Last edited by kenziekinz09 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm

I got a ziploc pencil bag and kept my shopping lists, divided by store and then put all my reciepts in there as I paid.
I also took copies of every ad with the items i was hunting circled in them.
I carry all my money and cards in one slim wallet that fits in my pocket. no purse.
Steff

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm

I didn't want to be bothered with a purse this year for several reasons. First - thieves. Second - Trying to worry about keeping a purse on my shoulder while running trying to get those deals & fighting those crowds. I just took a small wallet that fit my licence, money, cards in & put it in my front pocket. No problems or worries. :)

kimg
Black Friday Pro

Postby kimg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:42 am

I used a cross body purse - funny thing was I kept looking down thinking "where's my purse?" and panicked for second before I realized it was hanging on me :oops: . I'm such a dork.

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 am

This year, I just brought my wallet with cash, cards, etc.. Kept it inside a zippered pocket inside my coat. Cellphone and keys in the outside pockets. Worked out well!
ITA.. being out in the cold and running around compromises your immune system!

mckeymse9
Black Friday Pro

best tips

Postby mckeymse9 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:03 am

This year turned out great for me Super Great tip:

I learned this last year..... When the store employees, especially managers come out to see what you want/give tickets whatever, chit chat ALOT with them. Let them see where you are in line, tell them what you want( mostly big ticket items) just talk to them as much as possible. I was in line a target for the 40" tv. about 53rd in line. We had been joking around with manager, even brought him a coffee when we made a run. Got into store with 1st group, TV's were gone in 30 seconds. I was pissed. Manager saw us asked us why we didn't have a tv, he went into the back and got 1 for us, then gave me some "extra deals" on items I wanted but was unable to get on BF.
Also the fanny pack or no purse is great idea and so is the copying of ad items, love it. thanks for the tip.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Looking back this past black friday my best tip would be don't forget your freaking list(that you worked on for months) and ads at home.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:40 am

My best tip is Don't get your heart set on needing to get a deal. Because then you set yourself up for disappointment. I also shop alone for late night/early morning because then I can run my own agenda. If there is something I want at another store I won't visit (small items) I do ask my best friend to keep an eye out and she calls if she sees it and can pick it up for me. Also don't go broke in one swoop....cause online deals and Sunday ads may entice you and you may be disappointed to be broke.

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Buy what you can from Amazon.

glswrks
Black Friday Pro

Postby glswrks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I bought a dress about a week before BF. A dress I admired dropped in price twice in a couple of days. By checking the bfads scan I could see the then current coupons were as good as what was coming, but size availability might be a problem if I waited. I felt quite smug when BF came and Macys put the dress back to it's original price...thanks bfads.net!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”