I need someones opinion that has BOUGHT on Black Friday.

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

musicalkarasel
Black Friday Pro

Postby musicalkarasel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:49 am

kenziekinz09 wrote:If you want a tv from best buy, you need to get in line on Tuesday.

I'm not even kidding.

I know you weren't kidding, but I laughed real hard at this because it's true!

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:16 pm

musicalkarasel wrote:
kenziekinz09 wrote:If you want a tv from best buy, you need to get in line on Tuesday.

I'm not even kidding.

I know you weren't kidding, but I laughed real hard at this because it's true!

2 years ago I saw someone camped out with a turkey fryer and everything!!!!
And that is why I stick to target :D
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

eddiethegreat
Black Friday Newbie

Postby eddiethegreat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 am

I'm not even kidding.

You serious??? is it really that bad? wow i didnt think ppl would go buy tvs that bad, like me lol.. I dont want to get a laptop any more cause i hear they mess up toooo much and im not in no mood to be going back and forth to best buy geek squad 10 times a month because my laptop messed up. But wow im just still like in shock that i would have to be in line for about 10 or more hours to see if i get the deal i want. Im having second thoughts. I guess im just going to have to wait and see the AD when they get it and if i feel like is going to be worth than i guess ima have to bring my camping stuff. (That sound funny) CAMPING like is summer lol.

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:56 am

sitting in line for 10 hrs is nothing if you are saving 150-300 on an item...and you have to remember that best buy does "tickets" for the big ticket door buster items...what that means is about 45min-1hr before they open they will come outside with numbered sheets of paper for each of the big items and they will ask who wants what (starting at the front of the line) so you don't have some d*bag rush the line or try to knock someone over to get that item. if you get the "ticket," than that item is yours, guaranteed...so 15+hrs (10 probably wont get you jack in most areas) is no problem. just talk to friends and find someone who wants something that will be one of the items, and then work out a deal...get a spot in line, and then the 2 of you can trade spots for a few hrs here and there throughout the night. people in line wont care because you are only taking up one place in line as long as you and your friend don't want the the same item that is limited to 1 per person...

and laptops are not bad...they don't mess up as much as you would think...they only do that if you treat it like a red-headed step child...

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm

eddiethegreat wrote:

I'm not even kidding.

You serious??? is it really that bad? wow i didnt think ppl would go buy tvs that bad, like me lol.. I dont want to get a laptop any more cause i hear they mess up toooo much and im not in no mood to be going back and forth to best buy geek squad 10 times a month because my laptop messed up. But wow im just still like in shock that i would have to be in line for about 10 or more hours to see if i get the deal i want. Im having second thoughts. I guess im just going to have to wait and see the AD when they get it and if i feel like is going to be worth than i guess ima have to bring my camping stuff. (That sound funny) CAMPING like is summer lol.

Also, I hope you mean getting the ad from bfadsd.net. If you're waiting to get a physical Best Buy ad, by the time your newspaper comes with the ad there will probably be at least 50-100 people in line by then.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

People spend all day Thanksgiving day in line - it's a serious deal at Best Buy. EVERY year for many years now.

Matt1981m
Black Friday Pro

Postby Matt1981m » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm

that is where the buddy system works great...you start out, they relieve you later so you can go get stuffed, and then you relieve them so they can go home, and you pass out from the tryptophan...

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:11 am

Coming from someone that has either shopped or worked every black friday for the past 15+ years, if you are looking to buy a huge TV for cheap, I wish you the best of luck... if you are looking to do this at best buy with 4 hours or less in line in a major city, then I wish you even better luck and a miracle.

When I was still going to the metro areas on black friday before we got our own best buy here in the sticks, I had to arrive no later than wednesday night AND take back-up with me so I had someone to hold my spot for me when I had to pee or do hot chocolate runs. And that was just going for smaller doorbuster items, not PCs or TVs. I've been getting smarter over the years though. Coming here to bfads.net has helped me plan in advance for the stores I'm hitting first. "Hiring" a friend to stand in line at a store while I'm in line somewhere else has also helped (and I say "hire" loosely, as his only "payment" was buying him breakfast and taking his wife with me, which I was already doing to begin with). Anyway, I'm rambling and not really answering your questions...

You live in Chicago, and if you're planning on going to a Best Buy close to or within city limits for your TV, I suggest arriving on Tuesday, as someone else suggested as well. This is no joke. Large metro areas = lots of people = more of those people wanting the same item you do that BB only has 10 of. And to get that item, they will start waiting in line as early as possible. In Philly at a BB, I talked to someone who started standing in line for a 47 inch plasma on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and had actually called off work for the entire week, just for a TV. And that was a few years ago before the economy went competely down the toilet. People are ravenous for a great deal, especially on tight budgets, and will do anything they can to save a few dollars.

If you are going away for the holiday to a smaller, more rural area, you have a better chance with getting away with 10 hours of wait time. Even here in nowheresville, PA where I live, people were getting in line at our new BB on Wednesday night, but when we got in line after we ate our turkey, there were only 3 groups of 2 or 3. By midnight, the line stretched completely around the store and down the parking lot to the entrance.

Walmart is no better. Yes, they are open 24 hours now and start allowing people to fill their carts at midnight, but they are also using the ticket system on bigger ticket items, which you MUST remain in line for. You get a five minute bathroom break once every 2 hours and cannot have anyone else "save" your spot in line after the tickets have been distributed.

And to round off my incredibly long post, I just want to say that black friday is my favorite day of the year, no matter how many hours I have to stand in line to get that one perfect gift for my boys and the rest of my family, and even myself. I would not trade the chaos for the world. :)

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 am

carmenslackey wrote:-long post here-

Very well said!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:02 pm

XmasDVD wrote:People spend all day Thanksgiving day in line - it's a serious deal at Best Buy. EVERY year for many years now.

Since we are talking about lines...how about Toys R Us last year?

It opened at Midnight on BF and when I passed by (on my way from Thanksgiving dinner) at 8pm...there were about 10 people in line.

I decided just to scope it out about 2 hours later and the line was literally around the building like Best Buy! - never happened at that store before.

When I spoke to the associates later, they said no one was ready!...they all passed out tickets but people in the back of the line did not know it so they got furious!

I can't wait to see what happens this year.

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

ericcartman
Black Friday Pro

Postby ericcartman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:34 am

eddiethegreat wrote:

I'm not even kidding.

Yep, seriously, if you want a TV from BB then Tuesday sounds about right.
I can't speak for Best Buy laptops, but right now I'm on a Compaq lappy I bought at Staples BF2006. I've only had 2 issues with it. I got a virus last year, which could happen to any computer. The worst thing, it's never had much battery life. New out of the box, I only got about 2hrs and now it's maybe 45 minutes, but for me that's not a big deal as my use habits make it just as easy to plug it in rather than run it on battery. Also, it would be pretty easy to replace the battery if I decide to.

I guess I'm not a TRUE Black Fridayer, as I only arrive at stores about 1-2 hours before opening. I don't usually go for the big ticket items, doorbuster items though. I may have a different attitude this year as I'm about to start building a new house and I will need a big screen for the entertainment room.
For the laptop I mentioned, I got to the store about 2 hours before opening and was 5th in line. Admittedly I had gotten an inside tip that that particular location didn't sell out of their BF items very fast. The store is located between a fairly poor neighborhood and a rich neighborhood. The poor folks couldn't afford the items if they were free and the rich folks wouldn't waste their time to just save a few bucks.

teknoge3k wrote:
eddiethegreat wrote:

I'm not even kidding.

Also, I hope you mean getting the ad from bfadsd.net. If you're waiting to get a physical Best Buy ad, by the time your newspaper comes with the ad there will probably be at least 50-100 people in line by then.

If you get a physical Best Buy ad in your paper at all. My lousy newspaper hasn't had a Best Buy ad of any kind in 3 years. The last time I got one was Thanksgiving day 2007, and the last one before that was Thanksgiving day 2006.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

eddiethegreat
Black Friday Newbie

Postby eddiethegreat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:09 pm

What if i buy it ONLINE?? would i get a good deal better than get in line for 2 3 days? lol because i just cant. Probably for 10hours MANY B. Im not that desperate but i do want it. So im thinking MAY-B online would be much better and easier.

So getting it online would it be better????

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 pm

eddiethegreat wrote:What if i buy it ONLINE?? would i get a good deal better than get in line for 2 3 days? lol because i just cant. Probably for 10hours MANY B. Im not that desperate but i do want it. So im thinking MAY-B online would be much better and easier.

So getting it online would it be better????

There's no guarantee that the sale items will be available on line.

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Last BF (2009) Sears had the 54" Panasonic Plasma for $1100, the S1 model. Who knows, maybe this year we'll see better deals.

In fact Amazon has the Panasonic TC-58PS2 (1080P 58") for $1266 with free shipping!! Maybe you don't need to wait 'till BF 2010.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”