Vsmile or Leapfrog or what?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Vsmile or Leapfrog or what?

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:24 pm

I thought I sort of had it figured out on what to get my 3yo, but I am just at a loss. I really want to get her something fun, but something she can REALLY learn with. She LOVES my oldest two kids gameboy, so I was thinking she might like something like the Vsmile handheld gaming system that Walmart has listed on BF for $30. But I am unsure if the games are just...games, or will they help her with her alphabet, numbers, colors, etc?

Any suggestions would be great. I did notice Toys r us has leapfrog stuff on sale, but I'd love to not even go that route...Toys r us I mean LOL

Any suggestions on something inexpensive but fun learning for her would be great. What about the vsmile thing that plugs into the tv? would it be better than the handheld?

jennsvs
Black Friday Pro

Postby jennsvs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

My son has had both the VSmile and the Leapfrog Leapster. He was 3 when he got both. He lost interest in the VSmile within a month. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice product, it just didn't capture his interests. The Leapster however, he loves. He is now 8 and still plays it. The games for it go for higher ages too. The VSmile I think is geared toward the younger kids. The Leapster is the best thing I have ever bought. I don't think that any other toy has kept his interest for 5 years. With the newer Leapsters I think they can be plugged in to the tv. I may be wrong though. We have the original ones so I am not sure 100% about that. One good thing about the handheld, great for doctors offices. My son spends a lot of time in the hospital and doctors offices. It is great for those times where they are poking and prodding and when we have to wait a long time for results. That is just my opinion though. I have found the Leapster games fun myself. My son learned a lot. By age 5 he could add, subtract, multiply, and divide thanks to one of the games.

cryingdady
Black Friday Newbie

Postby cryingdady » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks for sharing!

jmadouse
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jmadouse » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 pm

I purchased the Leapster for my daughter last xmas, she was 3 1/2. She loves to play it, it is great for road trips!!!

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 pm

THANK YOU! :) I have put the Leapster on my list, but need to find a deal on the games.

FYI... anyone considering them Best Buy has the Leapster 2 for $49.99 on BF.
Toys R Us has the Leapster for $29.99

I am hoping to price match at Walmart! Otherwise I'll check out amazon/ebay.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 am

OK this is a subject I totally know....my two older boys are 5 and 6. we have had 2 vsmiles for 3 years now and 2 leapsters for about a year now.
My boys will play both equally. We have every "boy" v smile games and some are harder than others.
The leapster games are more in depth and really have nothing for a child under 4 in my estimation. most all of the games for both are semi educational, colors, shapes, numbers, alphabet, animals...
The 5 year old loves the option on leapster to paint his own pictures, and both the v smile and leapster 2 offer the ability to attach to your tv, and the leapster 2 can go online, but the leapster original cannot go online and therefore if your going to spend the money go w/ the L2 not the orig.
BBhas the same leapster 2 star wars kit I got for 49 on BF, BUT heres where it gets tricky....I got both our V smiles, and our L2 s at Target in after christmas clearance sales. The L2 kid I got with the star wars and Jedi Math I paid 20$ for on clearance at Target, I never saw them there reg price, but in Jan they had an entire endcap of them marked orig 80$ clearanced to 20. If you are not dying for it and can wait for like a spring/summer b day gift I would wait.
The v smiles I got when they clearanced to 12.50 because they were the pink ones(the orange ones didnt clearance, I took the Target sale tag off and traded them for orange ones @ wal mart.

Leapster games are all 15$ over the weekend @ Target ad V smile games are 10$ somewhere. (didnt pay attention because we literally have evry one)
The boys take all of them on road trips, and since DH works out of state often, we sometimes have massive road trips...went 15 hours summer 08 by myself w/ them in van while i was very preg....they also have the ability to plug into the AV jacks for the DVD player in my van...absolutely fabulous thing in my book.

if there are any particular games your interested in as well let me know
steff

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 am

We have both - my opinion is that V-Smile is better for the younger child - under 4. Over 4 Leapster is better - but do pay attention to the ages listed on the games because they are learning games and in order to be able to play the game the child has to be developmentally ready for the learning content. My 3 year old loves his V-smile - the buttons are easier - it is bigger and easier to hold, the games are easier - more video segments.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 am

I have a 3 1/2 year old girl and the cyber pocket is cool because it has the flip up screen/protector. I know that my friend's little girl's leapster screen got all scratched and banged up (cracked), but the fact that the screen is protected (folded over) on the cyber pocket is a good thing. Love that you can plug into any A/V jack -- tv, dvd player, etc. so that they can see the graphics better. I was worried about hurting her vision introducing her to a handheld, but she plays a lot using the dvd player in the car (10" screen). Any game with the v.smile logo on it is cross compatible with any v.smile product -- v.motion, cyber pocket, pocket, v.smile consoles, etc. so you can find used, older games for sale too.

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Postby shanyo76 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 am

My daughter is 4. I got her the Leapster handheld last Christmas and she still loves it. It has built in games too just so you know. Her favorite game is Pet Pals I think it is called. I know I saw Leapster games in a couple ads.

carli
Black Friday Amateur

Postby carli » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:14 am

azerigold wrote:THANK YOU! :) I have put the Leapster on my list, but need to find a deal on the games.

FYI... anyone considering them Best Buy has the Leapster 2 for $49.99 on BF.
Toys R Us has the Leapster for $29.99

I am hoping to price match at Walmart! Otherwise I'll check out amazon/ebay.

You might have trouble price-matching the Best Buy deal at Walmart, since Best Buy is selling a limited-edition Star Wars Leapster 2 bundled with Jedi Math.

Walmart online already has the Leapster 2 for $49, without a game. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... &Find=Find

tigObitties
Black Friday Pro

Postby tigObitties » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Just bought the Leapfrog Didj at Target. It's on sale for $39.99 (Usually priced at $69.99). It's like a leapster but for bigger kids, 5-10 year olds. The games are on sale too $20. I haven't seen these on sale for BF so I jumped on this.
http://www.leapfrog.com/gaming/didj/
Last edited by tigObitties on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coloradoshopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby coloradoshopper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Kmart has BOGO free games on Saturday for the Leapster. It works out to about a $6 savings over the $15 Leapster games deal at a few other stores.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info!

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:02 am

I was looking on line at Walmart.com and they have the Leapster 2 for $48.00 and I checked availability at the stores, 2 of them have them, and the one I usually go to has limited stock - figures! So... I think I'll just wait and see what Walmart has. I want to get there in a couple of hours from now, so I can look and try to figure things out.
I want it to be age appropriate, but I also want it to be something she'll use for a couple of years. She just turned 3, so it sounds like either Leapster or Vsmile will work out - honestly Vsmile might be better for her at this age. We'll see what happens and again I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”