Item/Cart Stealing in Store!?!?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 am

Don't rolling carts with juicy items in them scream take me if the users takes their eyes off the items for a few seconds? They do the work and the in store thieves get the spoils. How many peeps will case a cart on BF just for that purpose you ask? More than you want to think about.
Last edited by Vols44 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 pm

i tried to get someone to ship me an ikea large back but they wouldn't :(
they're only 59 cents!

oceansofenvy
Black Friday Amateur

Postby oceansofenvy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:46 pm

I've never had anyone take items out of my cart, but I've had people I'm pretty sure were thinking about it. I have two methods of scaring people off when I see them eying my cart. I either give them the I'm crazy and I might hurt somebody stare which coupled with my amazonian linebacker stature works pretty well. Or I go the other way and kill them with kindness and make comments about I got my goodies and I'm sooo excited and I hope they got all of theirs too. I find kindness and manners leave people bewildered on black Friday. I never ever take my eyes off the prize though.

mabrey
Black Friday Pro

Postby mabrey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:12 pm

About a month ago I was shopping at WM and someone stole my cart! I can't figure out why. There was nothing in it anyone would want. Underware for my son & a few shirts, etc. Not HOT DEALS, electronics or anything. I've had this happen before, but only during the holidays. Go figure.

treejaws05
Black Friday Pro

Postby treejaws05 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Last year at WM, I had a broken cart with three wheels, but you cannot complain when it comes to BF. Someone actually tried to take it when I bent down to look at girls clothing for my daughters sizes. I guess they didnt expect me to get loud right away and be ready to throw down.....lol

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:02 pm

To be fair, sometimes people "steal" carts by inadvertently wheeling away a cart that isn't theirs. They discover their mistake eventually, but because they don't know where they picked up the cart initially, they don't know where to return it. I've accidentally done it before at the supermarket.

tjmj9801
Black Friday Pro

Postby tjmj9801 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Shopper X wrote:To be fair, sometimes people "steal" carts by inadvertently wheeling away a cart that isn't theirs. They discover their mistake eventually, but because they don't know where they picked up the cart initially, they don't know where to return it. I've accidentally done it before at the supermarket.

With items and personal belongings in them? Probably not. I think that's what most here are saying, their "stuff" was stolen, not so much the cart. I've taken empty carts found around stores plenty of times because I didn't anticipate getting so much stuff but I've never taken a cart that had ANYthing in it.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 pm

tjmj9801 wrote:
Shopper X wrote:To be fair, sometimes people "steal" carts by inadvertently wheeling away a cart that isn't theirs.

With items and personal belongings in them? Probably not.

Yes, it happens sometimes. You look down at your cart and suddenly realize, "Hey, where's my stuff? And, where did this other stuff come from? Uh oh, this isn't my cart!"

Please note, I am not talking about blatant stealing of items out of carts.

Also, sometimes during big shopping days like Black Friday, carts themselves become scarce and valuable. That's probably when some theft of carts with non-valuable merchandise occur.

zim05
Black Friday Pro

Postby zim05 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:55 pm

We have not ever had a problem with people taking stuff from our cart or our cart itself in the 7-8 years we've been doing BF. However this reminds me of a story about 4 or 5 years ago at Shopko.

The store had just gotten brand new black carts and my mom was alone (I think she had dropped me off at Best Buy). She loaded up her car with her purchases and left, only to realize about 5 to 10 minutes later that she doesn't have her billfold. She is pretty much beyond herself because it has all her credit cards, money, checkbook, ID - everything. By this time she had picked me up and we went back to Shopko. At this point she is pretty much certain that if someone found it they would have taken it because she had a lot of cash in it on top of everything else.

Once there we asked Customer Service desk about it and sure enough, not only did someone find it, they gave it to CS with everything in it. They told her that someone had seen it in the cart coral. Since her billfold was the same color black as the cart it was easy to forget it. My mom wanted to know if the person who found it had left their name or anything so she could send them a thank you with some money and the store said that the person didn't. On the way out there was a salvation army kettle and my mom decided it was fate and put the reward money she would have sent the finder in the kettle.

While there are some really rotten people out on BF who will hurt, cheat and steal to get what they want there are also those who will go above and beyond to help complete strangers just because it's the right thing to do.

TheCount
Black Friday Pro

Postby TheCount » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Last year at Walmart I saw two women carry a very large storage bin around the store; each woman carried a side. While it was not the best, it still worked better than a cart.

robertar67
Black Friday Pro

Postby robertar67 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 pm

here's an idea....as soon as you get your cart, go to the health & beauty dept & load it up with a layer of maxi pads, adult diapers, condoms & hemorrhoid cream. Then you can bury all your other purchases under that layer & enjoy yourself as others eye (but don't steal) your cart! Then deposit things back in their rightful homes before you check out!

Nicm15
Black Friday Pro

Postby Nicm15 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:41 am

robertar67 wrote:here's an idea....as soon as you get your cart, go to the health & beauty dept & load it up with a layer of maxi pads, adult diapers, condoms & hemorrhoid cream. Then you can bury all your other purchases under that layer & enjoy yourself as others eye (but don't steal) your cart! Then deposit things back in their rightful homes before you check out!

LOL! That's awesome! Throw in a few boxes of Vagisil and Abreva and you should definitely be okay, LMAO!

TheCount
Black Friday Pro

Postby TheCount » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:02 pm

robertar67 wrote:here's an idea....as soon as you get your cart, go to the health & beauty dept & load it up with a layer of maxi pads, adult diapers, condoms & hemorrhoid cream. Then you can bury all your other purchases under that layer & enjoy yourself as others eye (but don't steal) your cart! Then deposit things back in their rightful homes before you check out!

Lol, all the guys I know freak out at that kind of stuff, so there is no way they would risk shuffling things around.

Spikefan2004
Black Friday Pro

Postby Spikefan2004 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 am

Nicm15 wrote:

LOL! That's awesome! Throw in a few boxes of Vagisil and Abreva and you should definitely be okay, LMAO!

LOL I really like this idea. No one is going to want to steal that.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”