Blu Ray player

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Blu Ray player

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm thinking of getting the LG BP175 Blu Ray player at Best Buy for $49.99. It's a bit pricier than I would like, but I figure I'm just too cheap. It doesn't even include the HDMI cable (seems weird to me that the box wouldn't include everything to get set up).

Anyway, does this look like a good deal? Or should have wait for something better to come along? Is there a better time of year to buy a Blu Ray player? I didn't really want to go over $30, but I have about $17 on a best buy gift card, so I figure I wouldn't be going much over my planned budget with my actual money.

Right now I still have a DVD player (which is starting to get a bit finnicky), but I figure if I replace it I should go with a Blu Ray player since DVD players may go the way of VCRs in a few years...

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Re: Blu Ray player

Postby shiftyjedi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 am

jeanerz13 wrote:I'm thinking of getting the LG BP175 Blu Ray player at Best Buy for $49.99. It's a bit pricier than I would like, but I figure I'm just too cheap. It doesn't even include the HDMI cable (seems weird to me that the box wouldn't include everything to get set up).

Anyway, does this look like a good deal? Or should have wait for something better to come along? Is there a better time of year to buy a Blu Ray player? I didn't really want to go over $30, but I have about $17 on a best buy gift card, so I figure I wouldn't be going much over my planned budget with my actual money.

Right now I still have a DVD player (which is starting to get a bit finnicky), but I figure if I replace it I should go with a Blu Ray player since DVD players may go the way of VCRs in a few years...

Blu-Ray players have never descended to the price of DVD players. I wouldn't say this is a great deal, but I rarely ever see them go below $50 either. This is about a $10 savings. The ratings appear to be solid for this player and it seems to have all the bells and whistles, however; it has streamable services, but NO Wi-fi connection (must connect directly into a router). I checked the Samsung website and it does also stream Amazon Video, Hulu which are major ones along side Netflix and YouTube. One last thing, it does only output HDMI so the TV or device you are viewing it one must have an HDMI input. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue if you have an older HDTV they did not come with many HDMI inputs.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:00 am

shiftyjedi wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:I'm thinking of getting the LG BP175 Blu Ray player at Best Buy for $49.99. It's a bit pricier than I would like, but I figure I'm just too cheap. It doesn't even include the HDMI cable (seems weird to me that the box wouldn't include everything to get set up).

Blu-Ray players have never descended to the price of DVD players. I wouldn't say this is a great deal, but I rarely ever see them go below $50 either. This is about a $10 savings. The ratings appear to be solid for this player and it seems to have all the bells and whistles, however; it has streamable services, but NO Wi-fi connection (must connect directly into a router). I checked the Samsung website and it does also stream Amazon Video, Hulu which are major ones along side Netflix and YouTube. One last thing, it does only output HDMI so the TV or device you are viewing it one must have an HDMI input. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue if you have an older HDTV they did not come with many HDMI inputs.

Thanks for the response :). Yeah I checked my tv the other night I have 3 HDMI ports (2 free). And if I were to use it for streaming I'd prefer WiFi, but I have a fire TV stick that I currently use for streaming so I'm not worried about the lack of WiFi. I am curious why you mentioned the Samsung site, the player I'm looking at is an LG. You looked at the same one I mentioned, right?

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:18 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:
shiftyjedi wrote:

Thanks for the response :). Yeah I checked my tv the other night I have 3 HDMI ports (2 free). And if I were to use it for streaming I'd prefer WiFi, but I have a fire TV stick that I currently use for streaming so I'm not worried about the lack of WiFi. I am curious why you mentioned the Samsung site, the player I'm looking at is an LG. You looked at the same one I mentioned, right?

Nope, I was looking at the right model as I was on LG’s website and not Samsung’s. :D
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

Lief
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Lief » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am

shiftyjedi wrote:

Thanks you for this answer! Had the same question!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”