Credit cards stolen!!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

melodyunderfire
Black Friday Newbie

Credit cards stolen!!

Postby melodyunderfire » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:10 pm

I am sooooo bummed. I went to Lowes for my first store today and by the time I went to pay all my credit cards, drivers liscence and gift cards were stolen! I thought I may have left them at home since I was soooooo tired this morning, so I went all the way home (30 min drive) and discovered they were not there. I called to cancel and there were alredy charges pending. This is the worst Black friday ever. I am so worried that since whomever has my credit cards also has my ID, they might open up some store cards and I wont even know about it. I am sick to my stomach and my day is ruined. Hope everyone else had a better day and got the deals they were looking for.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Credit cards are evil. :twisted: They cause debt.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

bugmenot2
Black Friday Amateur

Re: Credit cards stolen!!

Postby bugmenot2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Geez, that's awful. I am so sorry for you. Those pickpocketers are tricky. I hope you can get everything straightened out.

melodyunderfire
Black Friday Newbie

Postby melodyunderfire » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:30 pm

I have to file a police report to dispute the charges and also so I can place a freeze on my info from the credit reporting agencies. Anyone know what town I should go to for this. The one that is was stolen in? The one my cards were used in? or my hometown? Any help would be appreciated.

veganlawyer
Black Friday Pro

Postby veganlawyer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Go to the police station in the town that the incident occurred.

soloban
Black Friday Newbie

Postby soloban » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:22 pm

melodyunderfire wrote:I have to file a police report to dispute the charges and also so I can place a freeze on my info from the credit reporting agencies. Anyone know what town I should go to for this. The one that is was stolen in? The one my cards were used in? or my hometown? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think it matters.

NeoJew
Black Friday Pro

Postby NeoJew » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:03 pm

It's a little different, but someone stole my debit card information online and charged over $2,000. I was extremely lucky that I happened to notice it before the charges went through all the way, especially since I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't change my routine that morning. Er, getting off topic. But I went to the police station in the city I work in and they told me to file the report in my home town. But since this happened in a physical location, I think the town of the store would be better. Explain the situation and they'll tell you if you're in the wrong place.

babydeebie
Black Friday Pro

Postby babydeebie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Call your CC companies and cancel all orders prior to your last recorded ones (that you agree to). Get new numbers issued to you.
I lost a couple a few years ago and the cancellations eased my mind.

THEN worry about a police report.

ETA: D'oh! I meant "post" last recorded ones. :oops:
Last edited by babydeebie on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 pm

Call your equifax or transunion and tell them to put a freeze on your credit report as well as a fraud alert. CC's will be required to take down some additional information before they issue credit.

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:57 pm

You do not need a Police report to put a freeze on your credit! That is your right and the credit bureaus must comply. You can also put a password on your credit, but that makes access to your information a little difficult to get. You will have to submit a letter for each inquiry (including your own) that you want to allow otherwise they will block access to your information. There should be no charge for this. Call your local Police Department and they will send you in the right direction as to which town to file in. Dispute ALL CHARGES that occured AFTER the ones you initiated. YOU DO NOT NEED A POLICE REPORT TO DISPUTE CHARGES! You will need one, however, to take have them eventually removed.

Good luck! I'm sorry to hear about this. It sucks!

I have a little change purse that zips closed and hooks to my belt loop. After I hook it to myself, I stick it in my pocket so no one can get it. This way I am positive no one will have the chance to get my stuff.
After all this time? Always...

Starrr126
Black Friday Newbie

I am sooo sorry

Postby Starrr126 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:01 am

I had someone smash in my car window Thanksgiving morning and take my purse. CC ID checkbook tons of stuff just GONE. So instead of sleeping outside with my sister who just got home from the NAVY and we've waited YEARS to do this together I spent the day checking credit reports, going to the SSN office and BMV trying to get my ID and life together. Luckily no charges by the time I caught it. The local police? Laughed and said not to bother w/ a report unless we felt like being a statistic and don't hope we'll get any of it back (my Mom's stuff was with mine) so I feel part of your pain, and I'm so sorry charges were made!! Hang in there!

PlutoIsTheBest
Black Friday Pro

Re: I am sooo sorry

Postby PlutoIsTheBest » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 am

Starrr126 wrote:I had someone smash in my car window Thanksgiving morning and take my purse. CC ID checkbook tons of stuff just GONE. So instead of sleeping outside with my sister who just got home from the NAVY and we've waited YEARS to do this together I spent the day checking credit reports, going to the SSN office and BMV trying to get my ID and life together. Luckily no charges by the time I caught it. The local police? Laughed and said not to bother w/ a report unless we felt like being a statistic and don't hope we'll get any of it back (my Mom's stuff was with mine) so I feel part of your pain, and I'm so sorry charges were made!! Hang in there!

INSIST ON A REPORT!!!! They MUST file one if you want them to. This is your only proof that your items were stolen if something comes up in the future. Even if nothing happens for years, having a report will be proof of the theft.
After all this time? Always...

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:03 pm

This happened to my mom at a Lowe's also!
Come to find out my mom placed her wallet somewhere and an employee found it. The employee helped herself to a couple of checks and a credit card. Then the employee walked around with my mom's wallet in her back pocket and then turned it into the service desk. This was all caught on video. This was a Lowe's 30min away from my mom's home and she filed with the town she lives in. Her bank wanted this but I don't know about the credit card people. Anyways the refunded her and the credit card people reversed the charges.

Paladen
Black Friday Pro

Re: I am sooo sorry

Postby Paladen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Starrr126 wrote:...The local police? Laughed and said not to bother w/ a report unless we felt like being a statistic and don't hope we'll get any of it back ...

I would check with the nearest newspapers/tv stations to see if they would be interested in doing a story about this completely ridiculous reaction from the police.

In the military, as your sister can attest to, behaviour like this is called "dereliction of duty" and it is deplorable. The officer(s) who spoke to you like that are a disgrace to the uniform they wear.

Depending on how much action will be necessary to protect your identity/credit, you will NEED a report to prove your situation is legitimate and not made up.

living4fire
Black Friday Pro

Postby living4fire » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:42 pm

That is scary. Im sorry. Just make sure you cancel all credit cards and insist that the credit card companies reverse all charges that arent yours.

Return to “Rants and Raves”