New, poor quality models made just for Black Friday?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Sp8zm
Black Friday Newbie

New, poor quality models made just for Black Friday?

Postby Sp8zm » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:36 am

I'm suspicious that some companies are introducing lower-quality models specifically for Black Friday. The recent release by Samsung of LN40A500 may be a case in point. You can find ads for this new TV for $799.99 at 6thAve, Best Buy, and Sears. Strange that all the prices are the same.

Perhaps introducing lower quality models specifically for Black Friday sales is a response to our demand for deep discounts. The new models may well cut various corners to reduce the price and make it seem like a deal -- but they aren't losing money on it. Meanwhile, the original, higher-quality product line and price scheme remains the same. Retailers aren't as pressured by us to cut prices on current models if they have a cheap alternative for the Black Friday flier.

This "free market" just doesn't seem to be as free as it could. But at least I can vote with my pocketbook and the LN40A500 is NOT for me.

There are deals on some products, but it's getting pretty tough to make sure what you buy on Black Friday isn't some poor knock-off of its brethren.

NYCbanker
Black Friday Amateur

Re: New, poor quality models made just for Black Friday?

Postby NYCbanker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Sp8zm wrote:I'm suspicious that some companies are introducing lower-quality models specifically for Black Friday. The recent release by Samsung of LN40A500 may be a case in point. You can find ads for this new TV for $799.99 at 6thAve, Best Buy, and Sears.

The new models may well cut various corners to reduce the price and make it seem like a deal

I agree with you totally.

Last year at Best Buy during BF I got what I thought was a spectacular deal on 40 inch LCD 1080p HDTV Samsung. The price was fantastic! I ordered two of them.

I couldn't find that particular model on Samsung's website, but a similar model with exactly same specs and just one last number off in the model number had the best reviews. Since I already had a Samsung (32 inch LCD) bought a year previously and was very happy with its quality, I figured I got a fabulous product from a great company at rock bottom price. Not so fast...

That TV sucked! The colors were not nearly at vibrant and true as my one-year older Samsung (and that one was 720, NOT 1080p!). Worst of all, the overall tint was either bluish or brownish, but never exactly life like, people's faces were not as sharp and detailed... Long story short, after trying to calibrate and failing to find a "perfect" picture, I returned both BF TVs and ordered a replacement, to try one more time. Same model, same problems - the picture was just no good.

I ended up buying a different Samsung from Best Buy - also on sale, also a terrific deal, although not as cheaply as during BF. This time it was a 46 inch LCD 1080p HDTV Samsung - and it's fabulous!

The moral of the story - same store (Best Buy), same brand (Samsung), same product (LCD HDTVs) but I found an ENORMOUS difference in quality between "regular" models vs. specially produced for BF.

sc00b3rt
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sc00b3rt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:45 am

[quote="Sp8zm"]I'm suspicious that some companies are introducing lower-quality models specifically for Black Friday. /quote]

I found that to be true last year. I went looking for the Kitchen Aide Mixer. Found out that the one on sale all over the place is a cheap model that had some serious problems. The stores since then have replaced that mixer with a beefer model. A great way to dump stock of defective and cheaply made products.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 am

Of course it's true. That's how they're cheaper. :roll:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:34 pm

g-man430 wrote:Of course it's true. That's how they're cheaper. :roll:

lol wow you mean they have had us all fooled for all these year by selling us inferior junk?? Where were you all my life you could have saved me thousands and thousands of dollars :roll:

You cant seriously believe that this generalization is true the majority of the time?

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:37 pm

svngpvtry wrote:
g-man430 wrote:Of course it's true. That's how they're cheaper. :roll:

lol wow you mean they have had us all fooled for all these year by selling us inferior junk?? Where were you all my life you could have saved me thousands and thousands of dollars :roll:

You cant seriously believe that this generalization is true the majority of the time?

It can't be true. It can't be. :roll: :lol:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

Lkr
Black Friday Pro

Postby Lkr » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Did you not go into the settings and fix everything on the TV?

KennyDPA
Black Friday Pro

Postby KennyDPA » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Yup, that's totally what I get out of it. They just don't start giving away 50" Plasma TV's for $800. I'm staying away from these bargain TV's and saving up for a nice LCD.

ElectronicsGuy
Black Friday Amateur

My Samsung Black Friday HDTV works great!

Postby ElectronicsGuy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Last year's 40" Samsung 1080p LCD TV that was part of Best Buy's secret sale was model #LN-T4066F. This particular model was released during the first half of 2007, and it was in the top three for LCD TVs in the 40" range (according to one particular issue of Consumer Reports magazine). My local Best Buy store was selling it in the months before Black Friday for about $1,800-$1,900 (depending on whether or not it was on sale in Best Buy's weekly ad). The Best Buy Black Friday sale price was $1,150 (without in-home installation or other extras). I had been keeping my eye on this particular TV and two other TVs for several months before Black Friday in hopes that it would be on sale during Christmas season. When I saw that this Samsung TV was on sale on Black Friday, I bought it, and I do not regret doing this. The TV's picture is perfect, and it's AnyNet feature works quite well with Samsung DVD upconverters.

This Samsung TV (EXACTLY the same model #) was NOT released just for Black Friday, and I have not had any problems with it so far. I also read the the TV's manual online on Samsung's website before Black Friday, because the specifications list on Samsung's website was not detailed enough for me.

A previous poster commented on the bad Samsung 40" TV that he bought on Black Friday. It helps to go through the setup menu when you buy a new LCD TV to optimize your viewing experience.

Gard
Black Friday Pro

Postby Gard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 pm

some things are made special and other things aren't. My company has products that are designed just for BF and disappear once BF is over and they are all sold.

tobinsky
Black Friday Pro

Postby tobinsky » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:44 pm

The Samsung LN40A500 has been around for a while, in Feb sears was selling it for 800, which is what it will be on BF, so no it's just a horrible deal thats been around for a long time. :lol:

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:11 pm

I dont think they are products created solely for BF ( as inferior ) rather, its items that would have already been bargin basement and thus the loss on selling them at an extreme discount is minimal. Of course they wouldn't sell a high end LCD for pennies on the dollar, since its their highest priced items that bring in the most profit. Same for GM/Ford. The Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator have outrageous markups and are profit city because they only have a few luxury additions to their soccer mom counterparts, but you probably wont see ford/gm give those models away.

NYCbanker
Black Friday Amateur

Re: My Samsung Black Friday HDTV works great!

Postby NYCbanker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 pm

ElectronicsGuy wrote:A previous poster commented on the bad Samsung 40" TV that he bought on Black Friday. It helps to go through the setup menu when you buy a new LCD TV to optimize your viewing experience.

You're right, it was LN-T4066F.

I can calibrate and optimize TV just fine, and I'm very happy with my two other Samsungs, the picture is perfect.

But I tried and returned THREE Samsung TVs from last year's Black Friday (all bought from the same Best Buy on Long Island), and they all had quality issues. Why? Who knows. Maybe they produced a "cheaper" version for Black Friday (e.g., cheaper components inside, "same" TV outside). Or they rushed production for BF and quality suffered. Or they dropped all those boxes. I don't know why those three TVs were not as good. (My educated guess - cheaper components inside, outdated software, whatever).

You got lucky with your TV, good for you. Me? I returned all three defective Black Friday TVs, and then bought a much better TV in December. For me, paying $1,499 for a 46 inch with a perfect picture vs. $1,150 for a 40 inch with a crappy picture was a great deal all around. :D

ElectronicsGuy
Black Friday Amateur

Postby ElectronicsGuy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:38 pm

NYCbanker wrote:
Sp8zm wrote:I'm suspicious that some companies are introducing lower-quality models specifically for Black Friday. The recent release by Samsung of LN40A500 may be a case in point. You can find ads for this new TV for $799.99 at 6thAve, Best Buy, and Sears.

The new models may well cut various corners to reduce the price and make it seem like a deal

I agree with you totally.

Last year at Best Buy during BF I got what I thought was a spectacular deal on 40 inch LCD 1080p HDTV Samsung. The price was fantastic! I ordered two of them.

I couldn't find that particular model on Samsung's website, but a similar model with exactly same specs and just one last number off in the model number had the best reviews. Since I already had a Samsung (32 inch LCD) bought a year previously and was very happy with its quality, I figured I got a fabulous product from a great company at rock bottom price. Not so fast...

That TV sucked! The colors were not nearly at vibrant and true as my one-year older Samsung (and that one was 720, NOT 1080p!). Worst of all, the overall tint was either bluish or brownish, but never exactly life like, people's faces were not as sharp and detailed... Long story short, after trying to calibrate and failing to find a "perfect" picture, I returned both BF TVs and ordered a replacement, to try one more time. Same model, same problems - the picture was just no good.

I ended up buying a different Samsung from Best Buy - also on sale, also a terrific deal, although not as cheaply as during BF. This time it was a 46 inch LCD 1080p HDTV Samsung - and it's fabulous!

The moral of the story - same store (Best Buy), same brand (Samsung), same product (LCD HDTVs) but I found an ENORMOUS difference in quality between "regular" models vs. specially produced for BF.

^^^^I see you went back and edited your original post to make yourself sound better when you got caught with misinformation.^^^^

A few discrepancies that you never did clear up (regardless of your revised post):
1)How did you ORDER two of the 40" TVs at the doorbuster price? That particular model (model # LN-T4066F) was an in-store only Black Friday sale price. And yes, we already know that you originally commented that you ORDERED the TVs.
2)How come you couldn't find the exact model number on Samsung's website when others could at the time?
3)Since the LN-T4066F model came out in early summer of 2007, what makes you think that this particular model number was made just for Black Friday?

[/quote]You're right, it was LN-T4066F.

I can calibrate and optimize TV just fine, and I'm very happy with my two other Samsungs, the picture is perfect.

But I tried and returned THREE Samsung TVs from last year's Black Friday (all bought from the same Best Buy on Long Island), and they all had quality issues. Why? Who knows. Maybe they produced a "cheaper" version for Black Friday (e.g., cheaper components inside, "same" TV outside). Or they rushed production for BF and quality suffered. Or they dropped all those boxes. I don't know why those three TVs were not as good. (My educated guess - cheaper components inside, outdated software, whatever).

You got lucky with your TV, good for you. Me? I returned all three defective Black Friday TVs, and then bought a much better TV in December. For me, paying $1,499 for a 46 inch with a perfect picture vs. $1,150 for a 40 inch with a crappy picture was a great deal all around. :D [/quote]

What's the model number of the 46" Samsung TV that you bought last year? Are you SURE it's a 1080p that was on sale for $1,499? With your changing story, it's kind of hard to tell....

By the way, are you an AIG executive? :roll:

mikenmike0001
Black Friday Amateur

Postby mikenmike0001 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 am

From my experiences, I've noticed the same where I see a lot of front ads for desktop peripherals from some generic no name brand that you never hear of and looking at their website, looks like they just started business two weeks ago :lol: Always have to be a bit careful to not just go get an item just because it's free after rebate or a really low price. This is why if I get something on bf, it's because I really need it and it can't wait til christmas.

Return to “Rants and Raves”