BOYCOTT BLACK FRIDAY!!!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:13 pm

tmc, you don't get it. For some of us, it's not about saving money, or breaking even or whatever.

Some of us are not out on Black Friday for greed....we're out for the thrill/tradition/fun times/etc. I couldn't care less what is on sale, to be honest. For me, it's the family tradition of staking out a store at some crazy hour, meeting others who are doing the same, and welcoming in the Christmas Season.

People like you will never understand that.

pcgeekess1
Black Friday Pro

We all research - that is why we are here

Postby pcgeekess1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 pm

I loved the crazy people in line with me last year and felt akin to all of them. This year will be different because my list is smaller and my perfect plan from last year won't work this year. I am going to have to join the heavy hitters at Target and Walmart this year, since no big ticket items are on my list - except the dyson at Target. Much more pratical I guess. It took me a couple of years to perfect my plan and am so sad it won't work this year. Maybe next year.
I think that most people on this site do research their purchases before BF, that is why we check this site the day after Halloween for the sales coming up. I know that I have already purchased on the internet finding better deals than the ads for things for other people. Who is killing kittens now posting greeny meany words!

des1017
Black Friday Newbie

Postby des1017 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:13 pm

ifoceanscollide wrote:tmc, you don't get it. For some of us, it's not about saving money, or breaking even or whatever.

Some of us are not out on Black Friday for greed....we're out for the thrill/tradition/fun times/etc. I couldn't care less what is on sale, to be honest. For me, it's the family tradition of staking out a store at some crazy hour, meeting others who are doing the same, and welcoming in the Christmas Season.

I understand how it works.. and I enjoy it to some degree too. But after it's all said and done I enjoy the deals I received even more.

This wouldn't be the case this year.

These retailers are slapping "sales" tags on anything and their marketing strategy is working - because you actually believe its a sale.

hanlon5
Black Friday Amateur

Postby hanlon5 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:28 pm

I think a lot of people will be tightening purse strings this year but I wouldn't miss Black Friday for the world. I am a little disappointed in the fact that very little I need is on sale. But..... for me... Black Friday is that anticipation for the Christmas season to begin. I am lucky enough to live in a smaller area and there is nothing like running into the same people year after year giving them the comrotery nod as we pass each other store by store. I have to say.... it is a warm fuzzy feeling not just shopping.

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:52 pm

des1017 wrote:
ifoceanscollide wrote:tmc, you don't get it. For some of us, it's not about saving money, or breaking even or whatever.

I understand how it works.. and I enjoy it to some degree too. But after it's all said and done I enjoy the deals I received even more.

These retailers are slapping "sales" tags on anything and their marketing strategy is working - because you actually believe its a sale.

No hon, I don't think it's a sale. I know it isn't, but I don't care. It's a tradition.

I'm not there for the sales, I'm there for the atmosphere.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 pm

ifoceanscollide wrote:
des1017 wrote:

No hon, I don't think it's a sale. I know it isn't, but I don't care. It's a tradition.

I'm not there for the sales, I'm there for the atmosphere.

:? :shock: :?:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:58 pm

*sigh* I'm sorry, apparently I am the only one.

But there is nothing like arriving at some store at some insane hour (or perhaps the night before) with family, staking out a good spot, watching the crowds, getting started on the Christmas shopping and decorating, and knowing that Christmas is right around the corner.

Yes, the sales are a big part of it, but that's not WHY I go. The sales just help me decide WHERE to go....

But whatever, apparently, I am alone in this. :roll:

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:59 pm

ifoceanscollide wrote:*sigh* I'm sorry, apparently I am the only one.

But there is nothing like arriving at some store at some insane hour (or perhaps the night before) with family, staking out a good spot, watching the crowds, getting started on the Christmas shopping and decorating, and knowing that Christmas is right around the corner.

Somebody give this person a giftcard or something. :lol:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:01 pm

g-man430 wrote:

You don't understand at all. Whatever, I'm sorry that little things make me happy.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:02 pm

ifoceanscollide wrote:
g-man430 wrote:

You don't understand at all. Whatever, I'm sorry that little things make me happy.

What's there to understand? :?
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm trying to explain that I love BF regardless of what the sales are each year. I guess I don't understand what is wrong with that.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:05 pm

ifoceanscollide wrote:I'm trying to explain that I love BF regardless of what the sales are each year. I guess I don't understand what is wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with that. You like spending time with your family whether it be at home or in the parking lot.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

melbelle
Black Friday Newbie

Postby melbelle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Like many of you, I LOVE the ambience of Black Friday. And I do understand that there are people out there that do this for the tradition of it, and this is true of me to an extent.

This is not just about being ticked off about the lack of great deals this year. For me, the major concern is that there will be serious repurcussions if this year is a financial success. Now, in an ideal world, once the economy bounces back, Black Fridays will return to form.

But, will it? This is a VERY slippery slope we are treading on right now. If retailers do not HAVE to offer rock bottom prices, they won't. It will get to the point (and we are almost there now) where they will have pre- Black Friday or an all week sale. Sure, the die hards will linger, but you will see more and more people just shopping before or after Black Friday. Eventually BF deals will fizzle out altogether.

Now I do not KNOW that this is the way it will be. But, if this year is a projection, the future of Black Friday looks bleak.

nman13
Black Friday Newbie

Postby nman13 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:16 pm

TMC, dude you sound like my dad. BF does more for consumer spending than anything else in the world, our economy is greatly helped by BF. however, the less people that are there then the easier it is to get doorbuster items so its no loss for me.

pcgeekess1
Black Friday Pro

You are not alone!!!!

Postby pcgeekess1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Many of us will still be out at some crazy hour waiting in the cold. I will be right there too, and I also enjoy the atmosphere of it. I have met some great people on BF and it is so great to talk to other people like me. Us with our clip boards, manifest list, all the flyers and a smirk on our faces. The east coast is not always a talkative crowd but all of us on one cold morning with bad coffee trying to warm our fingers brings us together. That's one of the reasons why I will be out there at 4:00 am, even if it is for a vacumn and not some great electronics. And there are still other deals, plus it is such a relief to be done shopping after BF and enjoy the rest of the holiday time.

My other post was more for the person that was calling names and thinks that we are all going to ruin the future BFs by shopping this year. In that when the sales are not as fabulous then sales will be down from before. I am usually in line at Staples at 4:00 and Target and Walmart are 3 and 4 but they have the better deals on things that I need so I will be joining the hard core BFers instead of my great routine from the past. It will be different this year but it will still be fun like it always is.

Return to “Rants and Raves”