BOYCOTT BLACK FRIDAY!!!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

marcus65
Black Friday Newbie

Check the deals against last year

Postby marcus65 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 am

The deals this year are not as good as last year. I have checked and the ads for the stores show higher prices (significantly) this year than last, and the percentages off are much smaller. As one small example: look at the Ace Hardware ad. This year there are zero items that are free after rebate. There are no wow items so far. Just normal sales prices. I have checked prices on the black friday ads, and they arent any better than the current ads out.

Be wary. The stores are hoping that the lure of Black Friday will get us to buy no matter if the prices are too high.

gogoriotgirl76
Black Friday Pro

Re: Check the deals against last year

Postby gogoriotgirl76 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

marcus65 wrote:The deals this year are not as good as last year. I have checked and the ads for the stores show higher prices (significantly) this year than last, and the percentages off are much smaller. As one small example: look at the Ace Hardware ad. This year there are zero items that are free after rebate. There are no wow items so far. Just normal sales prices. I have checked prices on the black friday ads, and they arent any better than the current ads out.

Be wary. The stores are hoping that the lure of Black Friday will get us to buy no matter if the prices are too high.

I agree with you..I won't go this year at all.. :cry:

pcgeekess1
Black Friday Pro

Would never boycott - there are still some deals, just not..

Postby pcgeekess1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm

I would never boycott.
One of the best parts of BF happens at 4 AM or so when you start talking to the people in line around yourself and get to meet the people that are just as crazy as youself. There are still some deals, just not as many as last year. I think that people in this economy will be focusing on the real deals, so the point would be made without a boycott. I would think that people generally stand in line in the cold for the deals not to just shop. I already found great internet deals on toys but you bet I will stand in line for things for the house. I have been vacuming on my hands and knees for over a month, and let other house things wait all because BF is the best time to get deals on these things. I can't wait
At this point I can not even imagine the huge camping out line that BB usually gets, which is so much fun to laugh about, especially if you have ever stood in that liine. It should be interesting. And if you in th front of the line with me (not at BB though) I can't wait to meet and laugh with you all as we try to keep warm.

LSkennedy
Black Friday Pro

Postby LSkennedy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 am

Black Friday is important to me for two reasons.

1. It's loads of fun for me and my girlfriend.
2. It reminds me of the first time she kissed me.

BONUS

1. I had never had so much fun with my friends before.

Ragone
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Ragone » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 am

txteachkelly wrote:Sorry, can't do it.

Even if the deals aren't exactly what I'd hoped for or need, it's partly the thrill of the crowd and feeling of the "official" start to the winter holiday season. I'll be there in line, somewhere, waiting for a store to open...

Exactly what I do it for. Except this year I'll be working at Omax and making some sick commission, then use the rest of the day getting some new supplies :P

tmc8080
Black Friday Pro

Some will line up and spend, sure..

Postby tmc8080 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 am

As part of the on-going discussion.. someone did catch on to part of my idea... as with the cyclical nature of energy prices. Your best deals are not to be had on Black Friday this year.. for the most part if you buy on that day, you will be paying more than you have to. However as the saying goes; fools and their money. I knew calling for a total boycott would spark venom for those who go for the social craziness of the event. How dare somone try to control their behavior.. whatever.

A boycott will not stop retailers from doing black friday.. however, it WILL cause them to treat the conumer better in the future... this whole notion that just because big business is BIG that they can maniupulate consumers into lining up for these frenzied shopping holidays at any prices they put out there is part and parcel of why some consumers overpay on things. Many of you know much of the online shopping experience completely obliterates your local B&M stores in terms of price, availability and convenience. In past times when the economy was doing good, it didn't matter.. but THIS time it does. also, most ads didn't leak this time due to some intense lawyering up of the retail industry (C&D letters).

Do yourself a favor and research prices (comparison shop) and think many times over before buying... that would be a much wiser way to conince you to avoid B&M this holiday season. I have no investments in online companies, shipping carriers, etc, etc no vested interest in where you shop, all I'm trying to do is educate consumers to stop being fools and taken for a ride... however you rich ones (100k+)... keep spending, you need to spread the wealth.. Part of the reason there are these holiday shopping events is because many things like electronics, toys, media, and seaonal merchandise is alot like the meat and produce part of the supermarket... perishible... if it stays too long, its value and viability plummets and then they begin losing money. Remember the Malaysian financial crisis? Somehow a glut of imports made their way into the US where there was no demand. Prices deflated. China suddenly realizes that the demand for goods is not an ever rising arrow, but cyclical boom/bust with a few holding patterns and must make adjustments.

BTW, there was speculators pumping up oil futures contracts.. there was also a fear premium even though no siginificant events disrupted production, sourcing and refinery. They just got MORE of YOUR MONEY for the same product and made a BIGGER PROFIT off of it (from the arab countries, to federal and/or state taxing authorities right down to the gas station owner). Now that consumers are tapped out, they will find ways NOT to buy gas... in some cases they REALLY can't afford 1/2 the volume of gas they used to due to the hard economic times. That's the only reason it's dropping. Demand that numbered into the millions of vehicles per year is declining rapidly. Domestic and Import inventories are piling up. So, if you over indulge now.. you may be in much worse shape in times to come. Soon the auto industry will have to slash prices below the actual costs to make the vehicles if things don't pick up. That's the time to buy, not when the smarmy commecial hits the airwaves.

zim05
Black Friday Pro

Postby zim05 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:36 am

I will never boycott BF because its basically a family tradition and has been for about 6 years. My mom, sister and I have a blast planning the night before, getting up at 2am and doing all that waiting, we really get into it. Plus all the memories we take from it is priceless.

melbelle
Black Friday Newbie

Postby melbelle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Again, isn't it possible that a successful Black Friday 2008 will ruin Black Friday for years to come, by basically driving prices up?

If they do not HAVE to offer rock bottom prices, at a time when the economy is very weak, why in the heck would they offer low prices when the economy improves?

Sure there is the social aspect and the "tradition" aspect of it, but if it is going to affect future Black Fridays for millions, can't we at least scale it back to send the retailers a message that consumers are not willing to patronize businesses that offer anything less than stellar deals?

The deals this year are okay. Some are really good deals. A lot are nothing special. But, overall, the deals are mediocre, at best. If this year is a success, won't retailers learn that we as shoppers are willing to "settle" for mediocre? And if we as a societ settle for mediocre, will we eevr see GREAT deals again?

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm

melbelle wrote:Again, isn't it possible that a successful Black Friday 2008 will ruin Black Friday for years to come, by basically driving prices up?

If they do not HAVE to offer rock bottom prices, at a time when the economy is very weak, why in the heck would they offer low prices when the economy improves?

Sure there is the social aspect and the "tradition" aspect of it, but if it is going to affect future Black Fridays for millions, can't we at least scale it back to send the retailers a message that consumers are not willing to patronize businesses that offer anything less than stellar deals?

The deals this year are okay. Some are really good deals. A lot are nothing special. But, overall, the deals are mediocre, at best. If this year is a success, won't retailers learn that we as shoppers are willing to "settle" for mediocre? And if we as a societ settle for mediocre, will we eevr see GREAT deals again?

sorry. I don't care. I can afford the things that I want and I am so excited for black Friday this year. It's been a tradition in my family for as long as I have been alive (literally) so I will not miss it just because some people feel entitled to a "great" deal. Just remember, for every person who refuses to spend next Friday, there is another person who can and will! :lol:

jennwestfall1
Black Friday Newbie

Postby jennwestfall1 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 pm

the true BF alumni will never die. its tradition, good sales or not. us diehards are done by mid morning, get breakfast together, have a good laugh over the days excitement and go home for a nap and get up for a turkey sandwich. i will never stop going, even if all I need are batteries that day. :) ps...just a tip I learned over the years, bring a blanket and hot chocolate thermos to wait in line with and carry a backpack on your back to put it in when the line starts moving inside, i also carry all my adds with me-just in case

bfadfan
Black Friday Pro

Re: Would never boycott - there are still some deals, just n

Postby bfadfan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:22 pm

pcmommy wrote:I would never boycott.
One of the best parts of BF happens at 4 AM or so when you start talking to the people in line around yourself and get to meet the people that are just as crazy as youself. There are still some deals, just not as many as last year. I think that people in this economy will be focusing on the real deals, so the point would be made without a boycott. I would think that people generally stand in line in the cold for the deals not to just shop. I already found great internet deals on toys but you bet I will stand in line for things for the house. I have been vacuming on my hands and knees for over a month, and let other house things wait all because BF is the best time to get deals on these things. I can't wait
At this point I can not even imagine the huge camping out line that BB usually gets, which is so much fun to laugh about, especially if you have ever stood in that liine. It should be interesting. And if you in th front of the line with me (not at BB though) I can't wait to meet and laugh with you all as we try to keep warm.

I agree. I have so much fun. We take 20 questions or Catch Phrase and have fun in the lines with complete strangers. Yeah the deals aren't what they have been, but I have never gone for the real big ticket items like Tv's or computers. The smaller things are just fine at a good price. I won't boycott. A deal is a deal to me and for me this is a family tradition. Plus I have A BLACK FRIDAY SHIRT that I need to show off to evryone!!

des1017
Black Friday Newbie

Postby des1017 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 pm

The deals are bad and not worth the time.

For you people saying the LCD's & Computers are good prices - you're wrong.

LCD prices should drop 50% in the next year or two.

As far as meeting people as crazy as yourself, that might have been great last year when you were smart for waiting in line. Now you're in line with a bunch of retards and idiots.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:52 pm

des1017 wrote:The deals are bad and not worth the time.

As far as meeting people as crazy as yourself, that might have been great last year when you were smart for waiting in line. Now you're in line with a bunch of retards and idiots.

Please don't call people on this forum retards and idiots when they are not. They have right to stand out there for hours like me if they so choose. Some of these deals are great especially at Walmart. Find me another 32" LCD HDTV for $388 and then we'll talk. :)
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

justtobeme2
Black Friday Pro

Postby justtobeme2 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 pm

We are BF veterans but we won't go this year if there aren't any deals to have at BB. I can't justify spending hard earned limited money, and standing out in the cold to do it, when I am not saving anything. I'm not a youngster and I would much rather be in my warm bed.

tmc8080
Black Friday Pro

Postby tmc8080 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:05 pm

g-man430 wrote:
des1017 wrote:The deals are bad and not worth the time.

Please don't call people on this forum retards and idiots when they are not. They have right to stand out there for hours like me if they so choose. Some of these deals are great especially at Walmart. Find me another 32" LCD HDTV for $388 and then we'll talk. :)

Not to split hairs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889197003
Yes, $449 with free shipping.. include the fact that you'd save sales tax.. ahem that you'd fail to report on your state income tax form... next if you inluded local sales tax... in NY 8.62% that's about $33.. bringing you up to $421.. and gas and wear and tear on your vehicle... unless you had other stuff to get... your breaking even staying home.
And I'm just using New Egg as a reputable example.. if you dig further on the net there's bound to be similar Etailer Saturday Deals floating around (the online equivilant of BF for web shoppers).

Return to “Rants and Raves”