Growing up,(Best Buy Line)

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

mckin
Black Friday Pro

Growing up,(Best Buy Line)

Postby mckin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 am

Just wanted to share some experience about people that you would think could learn to wait thier turn.

Last year at best buy there was a few people in the front of the line all night, and told us they were waiting their since thursday morning. Well around 3-4am more people showed up to join them. Apparently they were saving spots for about 5 more people. People that werent waiting at all, and thought because they had a friend or family in front, they got in front to. Having been in line for 8+ hours with friends, and people I started talking to inline, we were all quite aware that we had been budged back. This doesn't sit well with people who lack sleep, warmth and potentially ticketed items.

Throught the night cops had been called (station not 911) to come by just to check in and keep any order if needed. Around 4 am, was nearly an all out riot from the first 50+ people in line, over the first couple trying to let so many people in front. Not one for conflict I had stayed quite and let others handle it how they wanted, at this point even i was getting pissed, having to push people away that tride to duck under the tape.

By 5am when the store opened, we had about 3 state troopers at our best buy, ontop of all the best buy employees watching the line, and kicking people out of it. I just thought it was kind of sad, at the time being 17, that supposed adults, still thought cutting in line was the cool thing to do and wanted to fight for their place in line with the best buy people when everyone else was saying they just showed up and tried to cut.

dmas
Black Friday Newbie

Postby dmas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 am

You’re so right! It sounds like with you being 17 you had more maturity then most of those adults in line. They are living proof that just because a person grows old it doesn’t make you mature.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am

In all my Black Friday experiences (or for the most part the Holidays in general) the people are at their worst during that time of year. It seems like everyone will do whatever it takes to save a buck. It's a sad fact, but I've found that it's true.

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:04 pm

It sucks but that's why I don't mind losing an hour or so worth of sleep to preserve my place in the top five (first if at all possible) of the line.

Eddyisgreat's BF line mates guide wrote: I can't do What?
I've noticed a lot of Joe Blows getting into town at 1:00 AM, after the line is Good
and Hearty and telling the early birds how things are going to roll with friends/family etc.

/* Last year, using some of the techniques described here and elsewhere, I knew alot about the first 20 or so (original) people in line (what they were there for , how long they did BF, etc). Some n00b tried to come up to the first group of ppl , me, and my posse and told us they would keep track of how many people there were starting from us all the way to them, and that he would get his lil' bunch if he noticed the line grow in our area. We asked him what he was there for, in which we explained to him using elementary math that he probably wouldn't get the item he was looking for because it was a door buster and they were pretty much called for. A healthy dosage of yelling sent him back to his car. */

If you are towards the front of the line (very front), and have soso odds of getting a limited quantity door buster, it'd be wise to ask "Are any family or friends coming?" I've seen many people turn this into a family affair so that Christmas time is filled with "we stood outside for x hours!", so youngin's or the elderly are likely to join in at a sensible, normal hour. The people in front of me had brought 2 more friends along who introduced themselves and subsequently made no effort to grab any of the "hot" items as the tickets were being passed out, so there really was no fuss.

Something tells me that it was probably a few non DB line huggers but people were looking to score some street cred (lol)

If the guys in your line were smart they would have strategically negotiated voucher exchange with people later in the line to secure multiple quantities of the chosen good. Oh well.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:21 pm

I have a question.....If my husband got in line early Thursday and was at the front of the line, do you think it is wrong if 1-3 more people joined him by evening Thursday and stayed the night? I know it is wrong to have people join him in the wee hours but if they joined him before sunset on Thursday is that still wrong? And would it really depend on how many more showed up? Like if 1 more person showed would that be no big deal but if 3 showed that would be pushing it?

I agree that it is crap someone stays in line and then a group joins in the wee hours, but I thought maybe within a few hours would be acceptable. And maybe even if the people that come up behind him if he tells them he will be having 1 or 2 more join him they ran home and would be back. Then you arient being covert about it.

Jordan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jordan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Sometimes I will have friends show up a few hours after I got in line, But they usually aren't going to buy any big ticket items.
They spend most of the night in line with me (give or take a few hours) and help with the item gathering.

So, I don't really see anything wrong with that...
The problem is when your friends come a few hours before the tickets are handed out and get a ticket....

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:12 pm

dude im with you a 100%.

there are roughly 10 people in our crew, excluding 3 parents, so 13 total....we'll ALWAYS have at least 8 of us there, and we tell everyone behind us (least the first twenty or so) that we have X amount of people coming with us, or joining us.

we're even lookin at using my friend's other brothers and siblings to hold places in line.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Cool.....thanks! I hate line cutters so I wanted to make sure I handled this correctly. And if you do have a bigger crew, I would think some would want to go get food, take breaks, etc and it should be understood to an extent.

cmac.....I love that you have such a large crew!! I think I am going to start to build mine :D

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 pm

[quote="lovebf"]Cool.....thanks! I hate line cutters so I wanted to make sure I handled this correctly. And if you do have a bigger crew, I would think some would want to go get food, take breaks, etc and it should be understood to an extent.

cmac.....I love that you have such a large crew!! I think I am going to start to build mine :D[/quote]

Most people that know they have other people usually let the people behind them know that they do have other people coming. I stand at best buy and thats what the ppl there usually do. A husband comes and says my wife and her two girlfriends will be here later and vice versa. It's never been a problem as long as you let people know ahead of time.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 pm

exactly, just be vocal and friendly. key aspects, and lovebf...thanks for the support!
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

jodeeanne
Black Friday Newbie

People that think line jumping is okay, are the line jumpers

Postby jodeeanne » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm

I have joined the 'crazed' black friday group only 1 time. It won't happen again. I'm there, at BEST BUY< 10TH in line and end up 25th as the doors open.. If you think that is fair, I'm sorry. It's not!

An come to find out, the MOST of the ones that jumped the line, already had the tickets for the big items, in hand, that BEST BUY gave out the DAY BEFORE. And then there were only 3 or less of the items available . So i never even got a chance to get a ticket.

They let 5 or 10 people in at a time. which is a good thing! Unlike KMART..People running over each other, pushing an shoving you out of their way. I felt like I was at that BULL RUN, and the people were the bulls trying to run me over..

Oh and KMART did give tickets, that were numbered, but it didn't matter what number you were, it matter who you pushed out of the way to get to the register. I had ticket number 3, and ended up getting the last of the item after 10 other people pushed pass me! And how crazy is it that the store has everyone going to one register, in the smallest cramped area of the store to get your item?

I guess I should have been just as rude as them and pushed & shoved my way to the front of the line, but couldn't force myself to act that way!

It's all mostly a trick to get you in the stores to buy other things.

ROCKY MOUNT, NC

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:41 pm

As a BF enthusiast, I will be breaking my golden rule this year and allowing my husband to "line jump" whenever he decides to come join me.

Previous years,we've had to drive over an hour to get to the nearest mall that had a BB. This year, we won't have to. They opened a new shopping center 10 minutes from our house with a BB. So he will be sleeping and I will be the crazy lady in line at 6pm Thanksgiving night.

Now, don't get me wrong here. He won't be getting any ticket items at all, since we shop together and one ticket will be sufficient enough for us both.

However, if I see any line jumpers looking for tickets at BB when I'm <5 in line, I will not hesitate to voice my opinion. If you've stood in line for 8+ hours with no sleep for well over 24 hours (due to the holiday), you tend to be quite irritable. Last year, there was this asian guy who spoke no english who tried to jump in line with his 10 (yes TEN) friends AND his wife/girlfriend/whatever that I promptly told where to go. I'm sure he didn't understand a word of what I said, but he understood the look on mine and my abnormally tall husband's faces enough to head to the back of the line before there was trouble.

So line jumpers and people "saving spots" for their friends and family who just happen to want ALL or most of the tickets beware. My hubby may not be with me when your scheme goes down, but just because I'm small, don't think I can't take care of myself. I can and will use my vocal chords and other things if necessary to maintain my position in line. Plus, you won't want to jump in front of me anyways. My cousin happens to be management and if I tell him what you're doing, you'll find yourself gone. All it takes is one phone call. *cue evil laughter* :wink:

Seriously though, I hope you all have an excellent BF! Happy shopping!

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:07 pm

carmenslackey wrote:As a BF enthusiast, I will be breaking my golden rule this year and allowing my husband to "line jump" whenever he decides to come join me.

Previous years,we've had to drive over an hour to get to the nearest mall that had a BB. This year, we won't have to. They opened a new shopping center 10 minutes from our house with a BB. So he will be sleeping and I will be the crazy lady in line at 6pm Thanksgiving night.

Now, don't get me wrong here. He won't be getting any ticket items at all, since we shop together and one ticket will be sufficient enough for us both.

However, if I see any line jumpers looking for tickets at BB when I'm <5 in line, I will not hesitate to voice my opinion. If you've stood in line for 8+ hours with no sleep for well over 24 hours (due to the holiday), you tend to be quite irritable. Last year, there was this asian guy who spoke no english who tried to jump in line with his 10 (yes TEN) friends AND his wife/girlfriend/whatever that I promptly told where to go. I'm sure he didn't understand a word of what I said, but he understood the look on mine and my abnormally tall husband's faces enough to head to the back of the line before there was trouble.

So line jumpers and people "saving spots" for their friends and family who just happen to want ALL or most of the tickets beware. My hubby may not be with me when your scheme goes down, but just because I'm small, don't think I can't take care of myself. I can and will use my vocal chords and other things if necessary to maintain my position in line. Plus, you won't want to jump in front of me anyways. My cousin happens to be management and if I tell him what you're doing, you'll find yourself gone. All it takes is one phone call. *cue evil laughter* :wink:

This should be OK, just make sure when he approches the line to let everyone know that he wont be buying any doorbusters or even have him step away while they are being handed out. If people see he isnt trying to get a door buster they may let it slide without question.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:13 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:
carmenslackey wrote:As a BF enthusiast, I will be breaking my golden rule this year and allowing my husband to "line jump" whenever he decides to come join me.

This should be OK, just make sure when he approches the line to let everyone know that he wont be buying any doorbusters or even have him step away while they are being handed out. If people see he isnt trying to get a door buster they may let it slide without question.

or better yet, let your line mates know the deal as you become acquainted during turkey day. It might be even better should you take a coffee order for those in line around you when he is on his way.

Just a couple of ideas to ease the tension. Personally I dont care much for line jumpers for any reason but I am not so hard headed I cant make exceptions for bribery.

shellswells
Black Friday Newbie

Postby shellswells » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Last year I shopped Best Buy online on Thanksgiving day in my pj's...no lines...avoided any hassles and received my merchandise...all my merchandise...not all at once. Most I didn't have to pay any shipping, some just minimal fee. Well worth it...I don't know if they will do that again this year...but check it out online on Thanksgiving day...hopefully they will do that again.

Return to “Rants and Raves”