Toys R Us - Does anyone here buy toys?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:57 pm

I usually hit TRU as my second stop on BF directly after BB. Two years ago was the last time I went though. I was informed as soon as I walked in the door that all but the Barbie doorbusters were gone by a miserable looking guard guy. I wasn't there for the big ticket items, just a few small ones. However I was met with "I hope you aren't planning on buying a doorbuster because those are gone now" in a condesending tone. Then I walk into the store and the line is stretched entirely around the whole store (and the TRU I go to is enormous), single file, and only one register is open. I heard some lady say that she was first in the door and 5th in checkout, but still standing there for over 15 minutes. Then, to make matters worse, TRU had corded off or blocked every single exit out of the store unless you bought something. I promptly parted the way through some Barbie big wheels and made out of the store quickly, never to return again on BF.

I don't have to worry about going to TRU this year though. I will be ten minutes from home at our new BB in our new shopping center, which has no TRU. If I need to buy my son something, I will go to Walmart or Target.

findthem
Black Friday Newbie

Postby findthem » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 pm

I shop at TRU every BF. Everyone lines up before the doors open, then walks quickly inside. No pushing, or accidents. My TRU has 1 way in, 1 way out. Last year, the line was crazy. It took about 1 hour to get out. Everyone was really nice though & saved spots while a person went & got something they had forgotten. I recommend having 1 person stand in the checkout line early, while the other still shops, then joins you. My local TRU was just remodeled to a TRU/BRU. It's huge, so it'll probably be even more crazy than last year.

I never shop at Walmart on BF. It's crazy!

mikame234
Black Friday Newbie

Postby mikame234 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:53 am

I am big on toy buying Black Friday!!! In the past it has been for 11 neices and nephews and this year I have one of my own so I am definitely needing the deals. We actually did not include Toys R Us in our early stops last year because we were disappointed with their deals. I am hoping this year their buys suit us a little better because they have everything!!!

Darkclaw
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Darkclaw » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:31 am

Well...I'm a toy collector (mostly Transformers and other robot toys) and have a 7 year old son...so yeah, I buy toys :) But
I am usually working in the trenches on Black Friday so unless there is an exclusive TF hitting on BF (like the set Walmart
had a few years ago...) I tend to not do toy shopping on BF...THankfully my time in the trenches at TRU was long ago :p

seajsd
Black Friday Pro

I'm buying

Postby seajsd » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:59 pm

LOTS of toys! I'm mostly going to buy learning stuff because my girls have way too many Barbies. My son has too many cars so I'm going to buy him football gear (he's 3) I'm getting him prepared. lol

ito_okashi
Black Friday Pro

Postby ito_okashi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 pm

I went to a toys 'r us on BF once. Only once though, and never again.

kendrahappe
Black Friday Newbie

I buy a TON of toys! How I avoid TRU

Postby kendrahappe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:37 pm

I buy a TON of toys every year~ (six kids) and BF is my BIG BIG shopping day!!Last year , I took the TOYS r US ad, scooped out our local walmart the evening before and got ALL the door buster specials that toys r us was running at walmart for the TOYS R US ad price. As long as it is the same item etc....I think all WALMARTS nation wide honor competitiors ad. I have done this for over 5 years now and have been able to get most of the items I wanted and no crazy people!

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Right after Sears, BB, and CC!

MammaTina
Black Friday Pro

Postby MammaTina » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 am

Last year at my TRU I was terrible disappointed. I will admit that my Mom over slept so we got there just as the doors were opened. By the time we got in the store, we were "greeted" by a -single filed /slowly movingline that was already wrapped around the, "newly remodeled - shit stacked everywhere store. I looked for what I wanted -gone- then went out to find my Mom ( who was suppose to stay in the truck and wait for me) to find her no wear- come to find out , she decided to come look for me in the "MAD HOUSE". 40 min later we were walking out the ENTRANCE doors to see the same people still in the same spot in line. Not going this year.

bfadfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfadfan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Lost my cool at TRU last year. Waited in line for two hours freezing...doors open and and 2 women rush the door. I start yelling at them to get back as they are literally knocking people over. I tried to get an employee's attention, they laughed and waved through the window, so I figured it was 'game on'. Before I could get to them, they had already been shoved up against the windows by angry shoppers with their carts. I looked at my sister, realized that they were getting taken care of by others...and rushed to get the deal on the ps2! I got the sysytem! Will I do it again? Yeah, what a rush. Disclaimer: I am a nice person generally, just don't try and mess up my Black Friday strategy by not playing by the rules. :D

pcgeekess1
Black Friday Pro

Yes. Have kids.... will BF

Postby pcgeekess1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 pm

I didn't even get into the addiction of BF until I had my own kids. I have not yet put TRU first on the list but I do usually go there as my 3 or 4 stop. I had a nice time last year and even had help from associates stocking more things when I was there.
This year so far the sales haven't been super great for toys in the ads, but still some deals to be had. Probably Target first for me this year. Since I haven't found a lot of super great sales on toys I have been doing a little pre-bf shopping on the net. There may still be time for the Boscov internet sale.
Spend 50 - free shipping, spend 100- 10% off, and some huge discounts on some popular toys. Got the Air Hog zero gravity for 20.00 plus the discount.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 pm

I went last year at like 1pm just to shop not really interested in the Doorbusters and they had 2 lines all the way around the store. Not to mention the parking situation was awful and took the longest time getting in and out of the parking lot. Best Buy and Michaels are in the same complex with ONE entry and exit lane. We will go to Toys R US but we are going to wait til December. I do wish there were more baby and toddler toys on sale this year but I hoping the Walmart ad will have something.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Our TRU is in the same parking lot as CC... no way could you pay me to go there. IF I could find a parking spot, the line alone is enough to make me stay away. There are some things just not worth saving a few bucks.

Return to “Rants and Raves”