Why I prefer Circuit City for BF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

pinkrhombus
Black Friday Amateur

Postby pinkrhombus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 am

Adamixoye wrote:I don't know why people are so passionate about arguing over something that so clearly depends on where you live/which stores you go to.

Because with the elections over, we don't have anything else left to argue about.

Ha.

No, really, though, I've learned a lot about how different stores in different areas do different (or the same) things.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm

pinkrhombus wrote:
Adamixoye wrote:I don't know why people are so passionate about arguing over something that so clearly depends on where you live/which stores you go to.

Because with the elections over, we don't have anything else left to argue about.

Ha.

No, really, though, I've learned a lot about how different stores in different areas do different (or the same) things.

Boy -- this nailed it! It's like car dealerships -- all GM dealers are not created equal. Management makes a huge difference in how retail stores are perceived by customers. My local CC has a veteran crew of people working there. And a friend of ours has been in the computer department for several years. By the way, she does not get commission -- they did away with commissioned sales (in that dept, at least).

Our BB is relatively new and all the people there are 17 years old and killing time after school (please -- no offense meant to you young'uns). I've yet to have an intelligent conversation about anything electronic there.

So it really boils down to management competence, your relationship with the people at the store, your past shopping experiences and your priorities.

For me -- I'm going to end up at Sears, CC, Target or K-Mart this year. Unless BB pulls something AMAZING out of their hat, that is.

I think we can all agree to disagree on our preferences. It's a very subjective choice on where you want to spend your money. It is, after all -- YOUR MONEY, so I say -- spend away and please don't take the Plasma I'm wanting. :P

Kel

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:43 am

Not to get all PC but why do we feel the need to excuse our thoughts against "youngins"? There are some responsible ones out there who do their job and then there are others that could care less and are still getting paid. Then we as consumers have to put up with their behavior such as texting, blatantly talking on their cell phone in front of you, gabbing with friends while you have questions, and being in your way when they should be the ones to excuse themselves. Last I checked there are several businesses that should put their employees "in check" in order to have a more prosperous business.

I hate the fact that we feel as the lesser being in stores in order to get good customer service. We're not shopping at Barneys. Our dollar is just as good as the next persons. If my daughter ever acted that way towards a consumer I would kick her......! Fortunately she knows better at the tender age of 9. Not that she can railroad anyone but that she should feel the value of whatever she is purchasing and feel satisfied with it as well.

Is it right that she knows that if she goes to McDonald's that her order is not alway correct? Or that the server at what ever restaurant could care less? She's smart enough to know customer service so don't you think the rest of us knows? I am a manager in the restaurant business so if I bend over backwards shouldn't retail? I just want to feel satisfied shopping somewhere and I don't think I am the only one.

I apologize if I come off biased towards certain age groups. I know too well of the millenialls(?). But I applaud those who don't fit into that mold.

WOW! I got into a rant. But I feel much better....and where I shop!

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Hmmmm -- I hope I didn't come off as classifying all young people with jobs as stupid or lazy. That's why I put my little disclaimer in there. There are a lot who are pretty mature and act it -- some of them on this board. I didn't want to paint those individuals with the same brush as the ones I've had the misfortune to deal with in retail.

I work with young people a lot and can attest that just like any other age group, there's a wide variety of individuals (some are more mature than their parents).

It irks me that a so-called reputable retailer only wants to pay minimum wage to 100 part-time employees to market and sell their products instead of hiring 25 full-time people. It's like letting your 16 year old daughter make out your household budget. While a select few might be able to control themselves and handle it with maturity, the vast majority would spend your $500 grocery allotment on clothes with Hollister emblazoned on everything.

I totally agree that as consumers we should expect, and get -- good customer service at all times. Does it happen that way? Of course not, but wouldn't it be nice?

On the other side of the coin, I've seen perfectly mature (age-wise anyway) consumers treat sales PEOPLE with downright disrespect -- you'd think they were in France (KIDDING! Please no French revolution!). I hate that we've become this dumbed down, disrespectful society that wouldn't piss on someone if they were on fire.

Back to the topic at hand. I like CC. My CC is small, well-organized and employs knowledgeable people. My BB is huge, and employs a bunch of part-time lazy ass kids. Again -- back to my personal shopping preferences.

DotCom
Black Friday Pro

Re: Why I prefer Circuit City for BF

Postby DotCom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:00 am

Russell Burrows wrote:At Best Buy there is no wi-fi internet for killing time with a laptop.

At Best Buy there is no external 110 volt power receptable for plugging in portable heaters, tv and recharging laptops.
At Best Buy there were at 2007 BF five items(the ad said min. five when they really mean five items tops......bah!) of each doorbuster laptop and hdtv. (at my Brownsville, Texas location)
Did I mention its a circus at Best Buy on BF.
At my Brownsville Circuit City there is wi-fi internet.
At my Circuit City there is an external 110 volt power receptable for plugging in portable heaters, tv and recharging laptops.
At Circuit City 2007 BF there were twenty items of each doorbuster laptop and hdtv.
The first hundred plus folks in line at Circuit City on BF 2007 managed to score either a laptop or HDTV doorbuster item.
So it looks like this 2008 I am going to again shop at C.C.

How are things in your town where there is a Best Buy and a Circuit City?

One main reason I disagree that CC is better than BB, Mail-in Rebate.

Adamixoye
Black Friday Pro

Postby Adamixoye » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:06 am

When I used to live in Colorado, I had a strong preference between CC and CompUSA...depending on where I was. In Boulder, CC was much better; in Westminster, CompUSA was preferable. I will definitely develop biases against or preferences for individual stores, but it's going to take several stores before I develop a huge bias against an entire chain.

I feel exactly the same way about young vs. old...I've been in stores where youth meant "enthusiastic and helpful" and in others where it meant "lazy and stupid." I've also been in stores where older help meant "experienced, knowledgeable, and professional" and in stores where it meant "incompetent and bitter."

brooks215
Black Friday Pro

ccity vs. bbuy -- you decide

Postby brooks215 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:02 pm

with ccity's economic woes, i am actually entertaining moving them to the top of my shopping list....in part i am hoping they will have prices worth considering over bbuy. :o

bigdog6374
Black Friday Pro

Re: ccity vs. bbuy -- you decide

Postby bigdog6374 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:14 pm

brooks215 wrote:with ccity's economic woes, i am actually entertaining moving them to the top of my shopping list....in part i am hoping they will have prices worth considering over bbuy. :o

Being the reason they filed Chapter 11 was because vendors had cut off any new shipments to them because they owed so much money I doubt deals are going to be that great. I read where they owe IBM something like $11 million alone for merchandise they had been shipped but have yet to pay for.

And anyone who is falling for this 20-30% garbage at the stores that are closing should have their shopping card revoked. lol

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:43 am

Well the way its looking .... who would have thought that Circuit City would have had the better deals at black friday then best buy ...

MattRiddle
Black Friday Pro

Postby MattRiddle » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:57 am

I've always gotten a radioshack-like vibe from Circuit City. Best Buy gives off a Wal-Mart like vibe to me. Target gives off a K-Mart with style vibe.

BigCox
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BigCox » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 am

The ONLY thing CC has over BB is the prices on movies... sometimes BB can beat them, but 9 times out of 10, CC has a better price on movies any time of the year. I was looking at both ads and see that CC had a few Bluray movies I would like to get for $12, but not so much to jar me from my traditional BB BF run.

The BB in Florence, KY has their stuff down when it comes to BF. My friend was suggesting we try the new store in Lexington this year, but I decided I want to stick with the store I know inside and out. I know how they set up their lines, I know how they do things, and I know how long it takes to get through line.

I have been doing BF at BB every year since 2001 (except 02 and 03 since I had to work), and the experience has never been bad. I have been getting there earlier and earlier each year, but the people are nice in line unless someone tries to pull something. I have had a mix of people with me each year and this year looks like the biggest yet.

Oh and about the internet and power, I have Bluetooth tethering and unlimited data with my cell phone, as well as a small generator, so no big deal for me. Its like a little vacation for us. :-D

bengaltigerrex
Black Friday Amateur

Our BAD LUCK

Postby bengaltigerrex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:56 am

Here in upstate NY we have a problem with one of our best buy locations. It is a part of a Mall and the Mall security will chase you around till about 4 AM. There is a LOWES next to the mall where people usually starts forming line, those are the pople who comes early of course. And then people who comes late goes out to form a line by best buy but between security and local cops they cant. but at the same time they wont honor the line that has been forming since 3PM thrusday. You cant even PARK in the Lot. around 4 AM you can imagine what riot it turns out.

On the Other hand CC has no such problem, like most people i am not a fan of their rebates. One thing i like about CC in our location..gas station is actually 2 mins walk. SO unlimited Bathroom access...well kind of after a while the gas station people actually put out a sign says for CUSTOMERS only, so every time I was there I bought a Hot Chocolate, then half an hour later i was back to leak it in the same location. vicious cycle continued till the store was open.

Return to “Rants and Raves”