Why I prefer Circuit City for BF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

KristopherWindsor
Black Friday Pro

Postby KristopherWindsor » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:43 pm

cmac1337 wrote:that's crazy though yall have outdoor outlets. i'd kill for that.

When you have 18 hours, this could pretty much be the difference between 2 work days and an Uno marathon. :D

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:05 pm

On BF 2006 Best Buy in El Paso would only sell the advertised items if you buy an extended warranty on them and some accesories, for example a digital camera they had in the ad they would sell it to you only if you would buy also a bag for it and the ext. warranty. They said those were the orders and that they did not make the rules. So we had no choice after spending the night there.

That's why on 2007 I went to CC, the rebates are a pain but some items did not have MIR's. Anyway I received my money in the mail after 3 or 4 months. :roll:

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Valtar wrote:On BF 2006 Best Buy in El Paso would only sell the advertised items if you buy an extended warranty on them and some accesories, for example a digital camera they had in the ad they would sell it to you only if you would buy also a bag for it and the ext. warranty. They said those were the orders and that they did not make the rules. So we had no choice after spending the night there.

That's why on 2007 I went to CC, the rebates are a pain but some items did not have MIR's. Anyway I received my money in the mail after 3 or 4 months. :roll:

That is not true, they cant force you to buy the extended warranty. I used to work at bestbuy and know that some of the stores that dont do so good at selling the extended warrenty would try stuff like that. They tried to do it when the xbox came out as well, buy starting a list of customers that would be able to guarentee one if they also purchased 2 games, a controller and the warrenty.

This is against company policy and the managers can get in trouble for this if you were to report them. Bestbuy requires that the employees alwasy ask the customer if they would like to purchase the replacement plan on anything that has a replacement plan. They count on you buying it and not having to use it, thats money in their pocket for no cost to them. But they cant require that you purchase a replacement plan.

If they try and pull it on you this time and you dont want to waist your time talking with a manager, just buy it and call the corperate office a few days later and tell them what they were doing at the store. Ask them to call manager at the store and make them refund the price of the replacement plan.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:12 am

sadly, this does happen. it might be shady, unethical, against company policy. without stating that the advertised price is based upon the purchase of additional items and services, it could quite possibly be illegal as well.

we had similar happen to us at BB one year. this was 3 or 4 years ago, so the exact details are a bit fuzzy. pretty much it was like this. we were like 3 to 8 in line, got vouchers for things. once inside, found out we had to wait in a massive line in the computer area to redeem them. everybody that was buying a computer had to go through a "consultation" where they had service plans, accessories, installations, security suites, seeing eye dogs, and fireworks safety classes pushed on them. hey, this is BF, nobody is there to spend "extra", so it was a giant time suck. we finally get there, and are told they had no more laptops, at least not at the doorbuster price. they said that a voucher only guaranteed that a laptop would be available, could be any brand, any model, any price. we were pissed. they then said that they did have the ones that were on sale, but they had already been "optimized" and had the security features enabled, and were now $200 more. we told them that this was BS, and fought to get them at the sale price. they tried to sell us on the upgrades at half price, but we didnt budge. finally, they relented. but they could not give them to us now, as they did not have time to uninstall all of it right then, and we would have to come back after 5pm that day. ok, fine. we came back later, well after 5. they couldnt seem to find them for us. finally, they said, oh, sorry. that several of them had bad hard drives and they had to send them back to the vendor. they would refund our money, but we would have to come back to do that on monday. we flipped out. with threats of returning everything we bought that day (over 6K), reporting them for fraud and false advertising, they somehow figured something out. all of a sudden, a guy comes from the back with some laptops. all factory sealed. interesting. they told us they had already done installs on them all, and also determined they all had faulty hard drives. we reported all this to a regional manager, as well as corporate. not sure what happened to those at the store responsible for it, but we did get some gift cards out of it.

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:06 am

Russell Burrows wrote:best freeware for info on media files is mediainfo

How about Gspot?

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Well, it was BF, we spent the night there, we were about 80th in line with about 200 more behind, I told the BB employees that what they were doing was not right but they said if I was not interested some others behind me would be.

I think they do whatever they want to sell more, even if it is against BB policy, that's why I don't go to BB on BF anymore.

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm

cambo357 - that is crazy, what they were doing is illegal and sounds to me like they were trying to hold them for employee purchase at the end of the day. Trick you guys into buying something else, they get credit for selling more stuff and then buy the door buster themself.

And since they were held all the way to 5PM, it may have been a manager or head of a department that was trying to hold them and buy them.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:54 pm

yes, no doubt they were holding them for employees. they said that all the other people who got in the computer line were able to get the cheap ones, even without a ticket, and that we should have gotten in that line first. nobody said anything about that at the door, or when passing out vouchers. and Im sure that anybody who got up there without a ticket was told they could buy one, but only with the extras.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:53 pm

TakenAback wrote:

How about Gspot?

Is it related to g-man? :D
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:32 pm

TakenAback wrote:

How about Gspot?

Yeah G-spot works ok but that was back in the day when I was burning a dvd every day and needed to check on what codecs were needed.

Now I use VLC if its playing on the computer or if its playing on the PS3 in dolby digital 5.1 audio and 720p video its mkvtovob for high definition and an 8 GB mem stick for transfer from laptop to viewing on the PS3.

Its been about a year since I burned any dvds for either backup or tv shows and that 20 dollars saved on blank disc media ads up after a few months.

I am takeing an HFTV back to CC in a week or so and will post an update about how it went.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:34 pm

Seen a lot of good posts, but the main reason to avoid Bestbuy like the plague is because it is a ZOO!

Some of my intellgience pointed out that lines started on Wed 2 days before and then went around the building twice.

Not to mention that when they passed out vouchers, people in the front were taking one of everything and then there was nothing left!

pinkrhombus
Black Friday Amateur

Postby pinkrhombus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 am

Best buy was awesome last year. We went there and then headed over to Circuit City....where the checkout line went all the way along one side of the store...all the way along the back....up all the way to the front...and was headed over to the other side. Didn't even bother.

newyorkcityholic
Black Friday Pro

Postby newyorkcityholic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am

CC doesn't have great warranties on stuff like BB does. You could get a warranty on ANYTHING at BB.

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 pm

newyorkcityholic wrote:CC doesn't have great warranties on stuff like BB does. You could get a warranty on ANYTHING at BB.

Also BB normaly just replaces the item for a new one if I buy the warrenty while every time I have gotten one from CC, they ship off the item for repairs.

gmg0621
Black Friday Pro

Postby gmg0621 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm

I been going to BB for last 2 years. CC is just aint for me with those crazy rebates. Here in Michigan(detroit area) no one be at CC til like maybe after midnight 1am friday and thats like 1 person.

I plan on heading out this year to best by around 2-3am Thursday Morning. Got there at 8am Thursday last year and was 14th in line. Then the lil kiddies wanted to cut and the staff didnt do anything...

But i got something for them this year lol.

Return to “Rants and Raves”