Why I prefer Circuit City for BF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Why I prefer Circuit City for BF

Postby Russell Burrows » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 am

At Best Buy there is no wi-fi internet for killing time with a laptop.

At Best Buy there is no external 110 volt power receptable for plugging in portable heaters, tv and recharging laptops.

At Best Buy there were at 2007 BF five items(the ad said min. five when they really mean five items tops......bah!) of each doorbuster laptop and hdtv. (at my Brownsville, Texas location)

Did I mention its a circus at Best Buy on BF.

At my Brownsville Circuit City there is wi-fi internet.

At my Circuit City there is an external 110 volt power receptable for plugging in portable heaters, tv and recharging laptops.

At Circuit City 2007 BF there were twenty items of each doorbuster laptop and hdtv.

The first hundred plus folks in line at Circuit City on BF 2007 managed to score either a laptop or HDTV doorbuster item.

So it looks like this 2008 I am going to again shop at C.C.

How are things in your town where there is a Best Buy and a Circuit City?

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:25 am

Here you need to stand in line 2 days ahead to get 1 of those 5 items available at bb. I just am not willing to do it. And it usually isn't name brand. Now, with cc I have ended up buying many items over the last 2 years from them but always online, never in the store. I don't know why, it just worked out that way. I got 2 surround systems, a video camera, 2 televisions, and many game items from cc online. I have gone to their store later in the day for small items and there had been plenty left.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:05 pm

here in fultondale alabama BB was the prefered place. it was easier and closer. There's a BAM a few stores down (strip mall type) and so we pick up their wi-fi.

the outlets...eh....we looked for outdoor outlets, and ur right, there arent any. but that's got nothing to do w/ BB or CC. that's just how the building was laid out.

that's crazy though yall have outdoor outlets. i'd kill for that.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

Will probably be at CC too...

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:32 pm

...mainly because the lines at BB are really getting insane. Last year we had already decided to hit CC but stopped by the BB around 3pm on the way to CC, there were 30-40 ppl in line and a tent strip was forming. By comparison CC had about 5 ppl so we got all we wanted, plus there were a couple power outlets there so we could plug in.

The downside is that the checkout procedure at the last 2 CC's we've been to has been horrible, at least 3-4 hours checking out. By comparison, we've always been out of BB within 30 minutes when we've gone there in the past.

I guess it's a trade-off either way. We'll see what the specials are this year, I'm pretty well stocked up on tech at the moment. May simply do it out of tradition (12 years and counting! :) )

-Toph in Blacksburg

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah here in Pensacola FL, the BB folks got there in 06 at 11AM thanksgiving morning and then in 2007 they got there 2 days before BF. But circuit City theres no one there so this year im planning on CC.

brooks215
Black Friday Pro

To CCity or not to CCity...that is the question

Postby brooks215 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:37 pm

i've done bbuy the last two years and the year before I did CCity (or whatever year there was a 99 laptop). overall bbuy's appeal for me has been the what-you-see-is-what-you-get pricing (no MIR, no store rebate coupons, etc.). the year of the 99 laptop the deal required several MIR/store rebates a year long vonage subscription (i just wanted to get my boyfriend a computer - not a new phone service)....last year i went into bbuy for a 229 laptop and ... it costed me 229.

the bbuy in long island last year left a wifi signal open but honestly i try to pack lite as i figure that's more crap i have to pack up and put in the car (with the crap I've bought)....

technically the ccity is closer to me (brooklyn ny) then bbuy (manhattan ny) and i've planned an egalitarian approach of waiting to see the ads before deciding where to park my rump for the long hump (i'll have 7 hours to pour over ads on my flight back into town for thanksgiving).

tigObitties
Black Friday Pro

Postby tigObitties » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:07 pm

There is a reason why BB has hundreds of people line up... CC is garbage. Plus they have rebates which is stupid.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:22 pm

tigObitties wrote:There is a reason why BB has hundreds of people line up... CC is garbage. Plus they have rebates which is stupid.

*applause*
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:00 pm

CC is barely on my radar at any time, much less BF. my local stores are small, poorly stocked, barely staffed, and completely disorganized. eg, they had some movies on sale. the media area is some slatwall, about 16 feet wide, and 6 feet tall. all the movies are stacked 8-10 deep. oh, not in any manner, like by genre or alphabetical. nope, just a ton of random movies on shelves. took me all of 5 minutes to give up. I recently went, looking for car stereos. took 10 minutes before anybody could even get over to that area, and even then he said he didnt know much about them, but was totally wanting to sell me a GPS nav unit.

and I agree about not liking all the rebate/subscription stuff at CC. once, the price was based upon a new AOL sub. really, AOL, they are still around? and I think it might have been a 2 year sub even.

they are good for not having as much of a line, nor as hectic, which is nice. one local BB and CC are across the street and half a block apart. we skated over to check out the line at CC, I dunno, maybe around 2am. there were maybe 30 people in line there, while there was at least 200 at BB.

as for wifi, I have some EVDO action, so not a big issue for me. also, our city now has municipal wifi going, not sure about the coverage there, but most likely its good. for power, we just run inverters and cords from the cars.

-Cambo

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:01 am

cambo357 wrote:
and I agree about not liking all the rebate/subscription stuff at CC. once, the price was based upon a new AOL sub. really, AOL, they are still around? and I think it might have been a 2 year sub even.

they are good for not having as much of a line, nor as hectic, which is nice. one local BB and CC are across the street and half a block apart. we skated over to check out the line at CC, I dunno, maybe around 2am. there were maybe 30 people in line there, while there was at least 200 at BB.

-Cambo

Yeah the real key difference (in the positives) is CC has shorter/later-forming lines before BF compared to BB. Last year there was more of what we wanted at CC so we went there. Didn't get out till after 9am though, you have to go through multiple lines to get the various items.

BB is generally nicer (and I don't mind sitting out for long periods) however my family would kill me if I skipped on Thanksgiving dinner (last year we had it at 230pm, ma was not thrilled :D ).

-Toph in Blacksburg

Valtar
Black Friday Pro

Postby Valtar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Last year CC had the best deal on a 42" FDP, we were 4th in line. This year I have to see the deals before making up my mind on where to camp. :wink:

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 am

TophNWHSU07 wrote:
cambo357 wrote:

-Cambo

Yeah the real key difference (in the positives) is CC has shorter/later-forming lines before BF compared to BB. Last year there was more of what we wanted at CC so we went there. Didn't get out till after 9am though, you have to go through multiple lines to get the various items.

BB is generally nicer (and I don't mind sitting out for long periods) however my family would kill me if I skipped on Thanksgiving dinner (last year we had it at 230pm, ma was not thrilled :D ).

-Toph in Blacksburg

The real key difference (in the positives) is being able to plug items in an outdoor outlet at CC versus killing your car battery with the inverter at Best Buy.

The biggest real key difference(for me ) is at Best Buy I can say that I was sixteenth in line and I waited and waited and came home with no doorbuster items.

At CC you can be number ninety in line and you still can get a doorbuster item.(they had a palletfull of doorbuster laptops and an entire aisle full of doorbuster HDTV items in 2007).

In 2005 I got to go home with no doorbuster items thanks to Best Buy since I was 23 in line and imagine just how ticked off I got on hearing folks telling my wife and I that they were number 67 at CC that year and they still managed to get a laptop and a prized large LCD HDTV.

In 2007 at Best Buy some pals of mine camped wednesday afternoon and got in the paper and by thursday some latecomers got together to expell my pals from the front of the BB line by saying that they were first.

My pals called the cops and using the newspaper as evidence they were restored to the front of the line.

Early Thursday night there were four on duty Brownsville police at BB and two of them had baseball bats in hand they told me were confiscated from linecutters.

What impacted me was the police still had the baseballbats in hand an hour later (seven PM).

In Brownsville, TX the BB is likened to a combination of a zoo, a circus and a gangland turfwar with no guns.

At CC its tranquility sea.
Last year there were no rebates on the HDTVs we purchased only the laptops had rebates...........maybe this year the laptops will not have rebates either?

Last year my wife and I were out of CC with two laptops and two HDTV in twenty seven minutes.

I feel bad for those folks at BB camping for most of the day and no doorbuster items as it seems like BB only stocks a few doorbuster items and thats it? what is up with that?

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:44 pm

BB lacks customer service. They are HORRIBLE!! Last year I went in later just to pick up an i-pod and a couple of things because I had no other choice and it took them 3 hourse to figure out how to ring it up. They are less than intelegent people working there (or at mine) and they are slow, rude, and think they have it all so they can be lazy. I just will not give BB a penny of mine anymore. There are many other places in the world to shop that have the same thing and are better. I have always ended up finding CC to be cheaper on the same items and that is without a rebate, I don't do those either. The consumer just wants it to be easy. I have never found BB easy. And on that note, neither is Home Depot :evil:

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:06 pm

At bestbuy I am alway in the store and out with my stuff within 10 - 30 minutes and ready to head out to the next store.

At CC It takes FOR EVER to just check out even once you have everything you want. They let only arount 10 - 15 people in at a time and allow they to browse the store as if it were a normal day. Then they only have 1 or 2 registers. CC has really bad mail-in rebates.

CC has burned me to many times and I dont think they will ever get another dime from me.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

Bexx
Black Friday Pro

Postby Bexx » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:16 pm

I hate CC becuase of the rebates.

Return to “Rants and Raves”