C & D BS!!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Do you go to stores that issue C&D letters?

Yea, I still gotta be in line!
29%
NO, screw them bastards!
14%
Yes, but I won't go there first
19%
Who really cares?
39%

Total votes: 59

kjax
Black Friday Pro

C & D BS!!

Postby kjax » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 am

OK, I understand the whole 'intellectual law/property' thing. But I really don't get the bug up these retailer's behind about posting these ads early?? There really is not a *whole* lot of people that go looking for the ads early, the general population that goes to these sales still waits until TG for the paper. You would think that by actually releasing the ads that we would generate some buzz for those particular stores, no? We are kinda like an underground cult that comes out once a year to camp postal service style (no matter rain, snow, sleet etc...) that us die hards would actually get tossed some ads early without these legal threats?? I don't know, just ranting here, but WTF, ya know?

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:22 pm

gotta be honest..C & D orders don't matter that much to me. 9 times outta 10 the ads get released later in the season close to BF time anyway.

your not gonna find many ads that get them pulled right before BF, and the ones that do, the links stil exist anyway.

Personally, my crew and I are diehard BB buyers so long as we get that ad, the others are secondary.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

brooks215
Black Friday Pro

C & D sux ... ballz

Postby brooks215 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:06 pm

you would think stores would like the buzz (especially given the economic situation) .... but because they are soooo worried about getting scooped by the competition they hate the buzz. last year i stayed away from walmart because of their aggressive C & D stance, this year i am unsure what i would do if one of the other big stores decides to go this route (ie bbuy, ccity, etc.).

BrianMDPhD
Black Friday Pro

Postby BrianMDPhD » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:22 pm

If I were a major retailer, I would actually leak the ads myself to get people hyped on the deals I am offering. That way, people know of outrageous deals beforehand and plan to visit my store accordingly. What these other retailers are doing with their C&D letters are, to me, entirely counterproductive.

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 am

BrianMDPhD wrote:If I were a major retailer, I would actually leak the ads myself to get people hyped on the deals I am offering. That way, people know of outrageous deals beforehand and plan to visit my store accordingly. What these other retailers are doing with their C&D letters are, to me, entirely counterproductive.

Releasing the ad in advance allows their competitor time to 1 up the deal, which brings the consumers to the store with the better deal instead of the store without.

That's mostly the "reason" why they dislike their ads being leaked early

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 am

Yea, I agree Tony. It's about another retailer upping them. And Walmart is the biggest one to scoop other retailers so they don't want it done to them.

But I do not go to any store that only has 5 of one item, not worth it at all. I have had awesome luck at Target. And I have to laugh at those who are in line at BB and are about #400 around the corner. Do they really think they are going to get something?! People camp out for days there. I get to T around 5 and they open at 6 and the rush is fun to get those items down the aisle and then they are gone. Always get what I want and more. TV's, video cameras, computers, you name it.

TophNWHSU07
Black Friday Pro

Actions, Reactions, Consequences...

Postby TophNWHSU07 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:41 pm

...I can understand retailer's concerns about early release of their ads. However, their decision to go the C & D route also has consequences, such as people like myself who will not go to chains that issue C & D's no matter how good their deals may be. That's just my personal choice. Doubtful that concerns them much however :)

-Toph in Blacksburg

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I just think that maybe they pull them becuase, there not final copies and when people plan to get this certain laptop and it turns our that its not going to be on sale, people get angry. Just a theory though.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 am

I think C & D letters are dumb. I can understand if the retailer's deals are leaked in say, October, but in November, why? Most major retailers already have their BF deals set by the first week in November, so it's not like the competition is going to just up and change all their deals that are already set to compete (unless, of course, we're talking about Walmart...)

From a personal standpoint, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that RadioShack has their deals done and ordered by the last week of October. I used to be management at Radioshack, and we had our company meetings for BF the last week of October, and that's when we were briefed about BF. This was years ago, so I don't know if it's changed any, but I highly doubt.

They're opening a new strip mall in my area where there is a BBuy, and I have a friend that works there. The store isn't even open to the public yet and the manager has already told them of a mandatory staff meeting scheduled the week before Halloween to go over BF procedures and deals.

So in closing, I want to say that I am boycotting all stores with a C&D letter issued past the first week of November because I know better and they're just making excuses. ;)

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 am

I don't think that retailers really care about what we think about their C & D letters. They're going to do what they want anyway. Besides, we can boycott them all we want, but there will be throngs of people who will flock to them year after year regardless of what they may do. I, myself, don't boycott them because of their letters. In fact, in some ways it is illegal to publish these ads early. Yes, they are going to be public eventually, but are they not copyrighted and could also be considered trade secrets.

I'm sure if Coca-Cola knew I had their recipe for Coke they would legally make me hand it over. They don't want their secret getting out so anyone can copy it or make it better. It's all about business and by having these ads out there this early other corporations have time to prepare their inventory and pricing schemes to beat each other. In some ways it's kind of like poker. You don't want to show your hand until you have to.

brooks215
Black Friday Pro

Trade Secrets....Seriously!!???

Postby brooks215 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 am

guitarist...the Coke analogy isn't apropos. Coke's secret recipe is a secret because they never plan to let others know it....the bf ads are designed as a sales tool for the public. i've heard the trade secret thing before but seriously what is the trade secret: how the pictures are laid out in the circular (that would be a trade secret of the printers), or maybe the items for sale (yet ccity/bbuy/walmart/et al. do not make any of the things in the circular, and if anything these things would be trade secrets of the company that actually makes the items). or perhaps the trade secret is how legal counsel convinces the stores that a C&D is in order ... for a circular they want people to have.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Re: Trade Secrets....Seriously!!???

Postby guitarist19862005 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 am

brooks215 wrote:guitarist...the Coke analogy isn't apropos. Coke's secret recipe is a secret because they never plan to let others know it....the bf ads are designed as a sales tool for the public. i've heard the trade secret thing before but seriously what is the trade secret: how the pictures are laid out in the circular (that would be a trade secret of the printers), or maybe the items for sale (yet ccity/bbuy/walmart/et al. do not make any of the things in the circular, and if anything these things would be trade secrets of the company that actually makes the items). or perhaps the trade secret is how legal counsel convinces the stores that a C&D is in order ... for a circular they want people to have.

Certain points of your argument are valid, but think of it from an author's standpoint. Yes, I know, you may not see it as thus, but those who put the ad together are the copyrighters of the ad (the company then "buys" it from them by paying them). If it were a novel that was being written and was leaked early that author would have legal issues with those that released it (yes, the author is selling it to make money, but in that aspect are the companies not doing this to make money). I mean, even a simple trip to Walmart.com will show the copyright. Also, the ads also show the copyright information.

As far as the trade secret portion, well, it may not be they make the actual product, but the pricing is the secret. Each company can only guess what the other is doing until the ads come out. If another company finds out the pricing of an identical item, they will lower it. For example, Wal-Mart will lower their prices lower than a competitor after the ad has been distributed in order to sell more of the product. They do it right now on plenty of items that other stores have put on sale.

sayuncle
Black Friday Pro

It does not matter

Postby sayuncle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 am

if there is a smoking deal on a laptop, hdtv, wii... everyone here will go to that store c&d or not.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:10 am

The retailers do C&D due to competition from other retailers.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 am

C&D or not, it depends on what kind of deals the store has... I do get mad when they issue the C&D, but I get over it! As long as I save money, I don't care! And, if you're quick enough to download the PDF of the ad, a C&D won't matter!

Return to “Rants and Raves”