Who is standing in line? Who is sitting at home?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

How are you shopping Black Friday 2008?

Sitting At Home
15%
Waiting In Line
78%
Screw Black Friday
7%

Total votes: 126

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 am

AshFrash wrote:
guitarist19862005 wrote:
AshFrash wrote:You are a wealth of information!

I don't know if I would go this far. I am probably not as experienced as others on this site. One thing I did last year was I bought my tv from Circuit City online Thanksgiving morning. I was up around 7 just went online and saw that the price was indeed what it was supposed to be Black Friday so I ordered it then. Someone here tipped me off to that last year so that was much better than having to fight the crowds, plus my nearest Circuit City is an hour away in another state with sales tax double mine so I saved some money that way too. I'm not sure exactly when the price changed, but it was ready to go at that price that morning. Best Buy was also that way too Thanksgiving morning. If there are big items that you'd like to get that will probably sell out, I would recommend checking the websites to at least see if they've changed them.

In short, there are educated people here about the whole process and it's beneficial to listen to them.

melblack
Black Friday Pro

Postby melblack » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:55 pm

I could not imagine sitting at home. I live all year waiting in anticipation for the RUSH/Experience of BF. I drive a ridiculous amount of miles to go shopping. I get my ads in order, drive out early, go to many different stores, and fight my way through to get what I want. I love this soooooo much.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:39 pm

melblack wrote:I could not imagine sitting at home. I live all year waiting in anticipation for the RUSH/Experience of BF. I drive a ridiculous amount of miles to go shopping. I get my ads in order, drive out early, go to many different stores, and fight my way through to get what I want. I love this soooooo much.

Yeah, I got out in the midst of it last year even though I had already purchased the main item I was wanting. It's a rush, but there's still the peace of mind knowing that you have got the item you were looking for and don't have to worry with trying to fight your way to one.

karabear
Black Friday Newbie

Postby karabear » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:19 am

I'll be standing in Walmart come 2am on Black Friday. We always get there a few hours early to stake out what we want and make a plan of attack :)

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm

karabear wrote:I'll be standing in Walmart come 2am on Black Friday. We always get there a few hours early to stake out what we want and make a plan of attack :)

Gee 2 am? Yikes thats early! :D

malacai
Black Friday Newbie

Postby malacai » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 am

We will be out in the early am probably 2-4am. My brother will be out either early Tday morning or late wed night. We're trying to get a tv and laptops so want to make sure we'll be first in line. I would do it instead for him but with a 16 month old this year it will be a bit difficult.

MegaBlue
Black Friday Pro

Postby MegaBlue » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:35 pm

karabear wrote:I'll be standing in Walmart come 2am on Black Friday. We always get there a few hours early to stake out what we want and make a plan of attack :)

2am at Wal-Mart is about halfway down the front of the building, heading towards the Garden Center. ;)

Although, with the influx of new Wal-Mart stores being built all over, shouldn't the lines be SMALLER?

andi91rn
Black Friday Newbie

Postby andi91rn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Last year the servers crashed. I stayed up on Thanksgiving day until 2am to get the online deals & could not get onto any online sites. Many sites spoke of people getting the deals , but I had no luck. The bad part was I was so tired from staying up so late on Turkey day, I was exhausted for the early morning run on Friday AM. I will try again, but I'm planning on running around as usual on Friday.

misskerri
Black Friday Newbie

Postby misskerri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 am

I'll be sitting home this year. Normally, my youngest sister and I hit the stores hard. She passed away this year suddenly on 9/11. She was just 36. She totally loved BF. She's the one that told me about this site. She started checking out in August to see if there were any ads!

I will probably stay home this year. It just wouldn't be the same without her. We would each tackle different parts of the store and she was tough. She didn't take any crap from line-cutters and those morons that attack (like someone else posted). It was so fun going. We'd leave the kids with our husbands and go! :D I'm tall (6 ft.) and she was about 5'6". I could get stuff off a high shelf and she had my back keeping people from knocking into me or trying to pull me down. She was a great BF shopper.

Maybe next year I'll be up to it. Her daughter will be 12 then and we could make a tradition out of it like I did with her mom. She did go with us the last couple of years. She's a take-no-crap person like her mom; so she probably picked up a lesson or two on BF shopping. :wink:

nonsensely
Black Friday Newbie

Postby nonsensely » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Same thing happened in 2k6 for a TV I wanted. I stayed home last year, ordered everything I could online, then went to Circuit City later that day and picked up what I ordered and also got some cheap DVDs.

nonsensely
Black Friday Newbie

Missing Sisters

Postby nonsensely » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 pm

I am sorry to hear about your sister. Although she didn't join me at BF (she hated people/crowds), mine was always ready when I got back from BF - leftovers cooking and a big spot cleared to pile everything. There's nothing better than a sis who understands your quirks and loves you for them.

misskerri wrote:I'll be sitting home this year. Normally, my youngest sister and I hit the stores hard. She passed away this year suddenly on 9/11. She was just 36. She totally loved BF. She's the one that told me about this site. She started checking out in August to see if there were any ads!

I will probably stay home this year. It just wouldn't be the same without her. We would each tackle different parts of the store and she was tough. She didn't take any crap from line-cutters and those morons that attack (like someone else posted). It was so fun going. We'd leave the kids with our husbands and go! :D I'm tall (6 ft.) and she was about 5'6". I could get stuff off a high shelf and she had my back keeping people from knocking into me or trying to pull me down. She was a great BF shopper.

Maybe next year I'll be up to it. Her daughter will be 12 then and we could make a tradition out of it like I did with her mom. She did go with us the last couple of years. She's a take-no-crap person like her mom; so she probably picked up a lesson or two on BF shopping. :wink:

camillennium
Black Friday Newbie

Postby camillennium » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Ar group of my friends and I hit Walmart, Bestbuy and some other random store in 3s. Two to shop and one to stand in line at the register. It has worked well for the past 4 years. We are usually in and out of the stores in less than an hour.

nshah
Black Friday Pro

Postby nshah » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Last year was the first time I didn't camp out anywhere.

I got the $120 TomTom from BestBuy.com, the $300 Compaq laptop from Frys.com, a $350 laptop for my sister from Staples.com (which they then couldn't fulfill so instead they substituted a Lenovo a week after- AWESOME), and a Camera from CircuitCity.com

It really did take a lot of the fun out of it, but I think it was a pretty cold night here in MI so it sure beats frostbite, lol. All the years before that I would campout at Best Buy, but by 6PM Thanksgiving day there were already 10 people inline so I knew I didn't have much of a chance.

Pretty much pulled all-nighters on Wednesday night/Thursday morning (especially for circuit city) and then Thursday night/Friday morning, but it was in the comfort of my own bed, without having to deal with pushing, cutting, all that nonsense.

But it was worth it IMO.

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 am

wow all that and u werent in line ?? wow ... i wish i lived where u did lol

where im at everyone heads straight for tv's, labtops, cameras, all the big stuff

thevioletbutterfly
Black Friday Newbie

Last Year

Postby thevioletbutterfly » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 am

Last year, I sat in line nearly all night with really rude people so this year I am just scouring the internet for deals. Found a couple good places. One even helped me pick some of the best gifts for Christmas for my nephews. That really helped. Last year, I bought alot of stuff that wasn't appreciated much (I don't have a kid so I don't really know what is hot and what is not) but I think this year I will do much better because I did a search for the top toys and stuff. The long lines just aren't worth it, to me, when there are other alternatives

Return to “Rants and Raves”