Who is standing in line? Who is sitting at home?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

How are you shopping Black Friday 2008?

Sitting At Home
15%
Waiting In Line
78%
Screw Black Friday
7%

Total votes: 126

tifftiff2
Black Friday Amateur

Online/In-store inventory

Postby tifftiff2 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:10 am

I can't say anything for any other retailers, but any Black Friday purchases from bestbuy.com are pulled from a separate warehouse and not store inventory. That's the nice thing about minimum quantities in the stores, at least you can get in line and know if you stand a chance of snagging what you are looking for. Its hard to tell what the online inventory numbers would ever be.

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Yeah last year I found all my stuff that I wanted online at places like Amazon (new) and On sale at Bestbuy for the Same BF Price so I bought them all then and only went to one store last year, I must say though I missed all the fun and excitment of staying over night and rushing in. It just isnt the same

sweetdiggity
Black Friday Pro

Postby sweetdiggity » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I love the excitement of rushing into the store early in the morning too much to sit at home.
I'll be in line for sure. I might do a little shopping online for the stores that are not very close to me.

Brittney19
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brittney19 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm going to be in line definately. This is a huge tradition for me & the Christmas holiday just wouldnt be the same for me if I didnt do it. Bring on the lines & crowds! :D

Sophomoric1
Black Friday Newbie

Man Oh Man

Postby Sophomoric1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:43 pm

I am already getting excited about BF this Year I am hoping to get some awesome things and have already started saving up money, Anyone think that it might be possible to get a nintendo ds for cheap?

sttss002
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sttss002 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 pm

My sisters and I will for sure be in line. It's a family tradition, can't wait :lol:

Nandi
Black Friday Newbie

I love to do both

Postby Nandi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 pm

I love to go out and shop online but I have to say that online is becoming my favorite. I love Black Friday and I am getting more and more excited every day that passes.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Re: Man Oh Man

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 am

Sophomoric1 wrote:I am already getting excited about BF this Year I am hoping to get some awesome things and have already started saving up money, Anyone think that it might be possible to get a nintendo ds for cheap?

I got a DS bundle last year at Best Buy for $149 + tax. It came with a starter kit and 2 games, plus the special edition DS and the game in the box. Best part of the whole deal was, they forgot to give me the starter kit and two extra games, and at least an hour had passed before I realized it. I went back into the store and told the manager, and he said they were sold out of everything, but to pick whatever DS starter kit and 2 games I wanted, regardless of price, and they would throw it in free of charge. Now that's service!

On topic... I will be the crazy lady standing in line at Best Buy at 5pm on Thanksgiving Day, lol. Whether or not the rest of the fam or the hubby will join me, now that is the question....

cowsgoquack101
Black Friday Newbie

Postby cowsgoquack101 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:33 pm

A group of 4 friends and myself went and camped in front of Circuit City from 1 to 5. It was a fun experience. I recommend it for anyone who likes to shop or compete. I didn't get much due to not having enough for the awesome deals, but I got DVD's for everyone in my family and some RAM for my computer. I always hate getting things for me first but I think that's what the rest of the season for shopping is.

DotCom
Black Friday Pro

Postby DotCom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 pm

I'll be standing in line "IF" there are great deals. Last year was the first year I didn't stand in line. There were only the same deals they normally have. I was hoping for the big screen tv bargains. Maybe this year.

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:10 am

Am I standing in line? Yes please. :D
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 am

Thats a good question as my wife wants a HD camera and I am looking at just about the same prices for BF inline versus the internet option?

Plus this year what I want is a front projector.

However.

I hate those projectors that need expensive new lamps every year.

This year at CEDIA they had new front projectors with led Phatlight technology that does away with yearly lamp replacement.

So I am being tempted to search online for those deals and even the perenial laptop deal is trying to convince me to get it online.

So as of today I am really, really wondering if my camping in line is a thing of the past?

I guess its going to come down to a coin toss and I guess an early Thursday campout or an online deal?

Plenty of time to consider.

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:26 am

zim05 wrote:I'll be standing in line for sure!!! If this year will be like the last, I'll be at our 24hr Walmart ready to grab!

OMG. Didn't even think of this!! Do the BF prices go into effect at midnight? We just got a 24 hr Super Walmart this year! YESSSS!!

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 am

AshFrash wrote:OMG. Didn't even think of this!! Do the BF prices go into effect at midnight? We just got a 24 hr Super Walmart this year! YESSSS!!

No, the prices are only good for the hours listed. In addition to that, from what I've been told (I've never been at Wal-Mart at the beginning), the door busters are normally in the aisles covered in black plastic so you don't know which one is which. Once the time comes around they then pull the plastic off and unveil the product.

You could get there early though to scout out the locations of those pallets of goodies, even if you don't know which one is which, you'll at least know where they are at.

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 am

guitarist19862005 wrote:
AshFrash wrote:OMG. Didn't even think of this!! Do the BF prices go into effect at midnight? We just got a 24 hr Super Walmart this year! YESSSS!!

No, the prices are only good for the hours listed. In addition to that, from what I've been told (I've never been at Wal-Mart at the beginning), the door busters are normally in the aisles covered in black plastic so you don't know which one is which. Once the time comes around they then pull the plastic off and unveil the product.

You could get there early though to scout out the locations of those pallets of goodies, even if you don't know which one is which, you'll at least know where they are at.

You are a wealth of information! I might have to try this if the deals are to-die-for! We're supposed to have a new Target opening in the area just before BF as well, I'm super psyched!

Return to “Rants and Raves”