Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Re: Share your 2018 Black Friday experience

Postby SavannahSparkles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:03 pm

ONLINE:

-ThinkGeek-
The most frustrating experience. Ordered a skirt for my daughter, received a confirmation email a few hours later and my card was charged. The next day I got an email saying that they "oversold" the item in her size, so they cancelled my order. Immediately ordered the next size up and they charged my card again, but now it's Saturday and I still haven't received a confirmation order from them, and I have two pending charges on my card. I will give them until Monday to get it straightened out before I call customer service.

-GameStop-
Was after the Nintendo Switch with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and $50 GC. Multiple site crashes and broken links. After some confusion, I accidentally purchased a Switch with the gift card, but no Mario Kart included. By the time I realized this, the order was processed and I was unable to cancel. However, the very next evening, I received an email from the CEO stating that they had made a mistake posting the Switch with no Mario Kart, and to correct this they sent me a $60 voucher to either purchase it or any other game. This was a huge relief!

-Macy's-
I was able to purchase a purse I have been eying for close to 2 years at nearly 70% off after markdowns and coupons. Awesome deal, zero issues with the site.

-WalMart-
Probably the only store that I prefer to shop online versus in store. Only wanted the DIY Spa Set and a couple of non sale items. Was able to check out easily.

IN STORE:

-JcPenney's-
Worst store of the day. Waited in line for 2 hours, we were unprepared for how cold it was and nearly froze. Using the $10 off $10 coupons was unnecessarily difficult, but after multiple attempts (and a second visit to the store later that night) to check out, we were successful. I got an essential oil set + sleeping mask, clothing, and a hairbrush + flat iron set.

-Kohl's-
If JcPenney's was the worst store of the day, Kohl's was a close second. I instantly regretted not shopping online earlier in the week, but I digress. Waited in line for 2 hours, still cold but not as bad. Rude and incompetent workers, one literally tossed my $5 gift voucher at me after I asked for it back when something I purchased wouldn't go through. Came back a second time, grabbed multiple items to be more prepared because the line was wrapped around the store. Took about 30 minutes but I finally got through. Wound up with a PopSocket for my phone, a 3 pack of knee high socks, and a pair of gloves for my daughter.

-Michael's-
Come here every year to take advantage of the 40% off Big Happy Planner plus 30% off coupon, didn't have the design/layout that I wanted, but settled for a different one. I'm sure it will grow on me.

-Bath & Body Works-
Had a coupon for B1G1F, so I nabbed the Stress Relief body lotion for my husband--he loves this scent. For how busy the store was, we were done in here super quick.

-WalMart-
"I'm not going to WalMart this year," I say to myself and others when they asked what my plans were for Thursday.
But alas, I decided to sneak in at 9ish. "Surely the store will be mostly dead by now," I convince myself. But I was wrong. Very, very wrong. After parking approximately 20 miles away from the door, I tried tracking down a Barbie for $5 that my daughter wanted, but they were of course completely sold out. Defeated, I traveled back to my car parked in Siberia and called it a night. Will just pay full price online and call it good!

So far I've received my Macy's order in the mail, and I'm just awaiting shipments from GameStop (Tuesday), WalMart (Friday), and ThinkGeek (who even knows). Hooray for a mostly successful Blacksgiving!
The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Online shopping at Walmart and then Target was where I started. Then on Thanksgiving middle kid and I did the annual JCP run. Oldest is a waitress at Cracker Barrel (and college student) so of course she was working. It was her first time working the holiday. JCP had a much longer line that typical and this year they only opened one door instead of all 3 exterior entrances for first 30 minutes. I got 2 pairs of fashion boots (each with a $10 off applied). By then the other doors were opened so entered those and collected a few more coupons to use later. Then on to another town to the Belks. They had a free gift card for first 200. We each got $5. Stacked them and bought a pair of fashion red cowboy boots the middle one liked (came out to $10). It was about 4:25 and we were close by a Target so headed there next. They were still giving out doorbuster TV vouchers at 4:40 but we had no use for one. Line wasn't bad at all. We went in and got some of the $2 towels, some of the 2 for $10 bras, the Papermate pen set (secret santa at school), and a video game. Checked out by 5:15. We came back to town and went back to my parents to eat round #2. (We ate Thanksgiving dinner at noon.) Oldest was supposed to get off at 6:00. She messaged at 6:10 saying her replacement no showed (so got fired) and they were making her stay at least an hour more or until they got off a longer wait. So middle and I went on to Target in our town and then Walmart. Both were pretty quiet for it being 6:30. Checkout was super fast - last year both had crazy waits in line. Went home after Walmart. Oldest called about 8 and was finally off. So back to Walmart we went and then on to JCP to use the coupons we had collected earlier. Then home.

Friday morning we started at our local SPCA thrift store. They were doing 75% off. Then Walgreens and CVS. And I think that was all.

Biggest ticket item I bought was the Walmart HP gaming laptop from Walmart online. I wasn't going to buy it but my son (13) rarely asks for anything during the year and when I told him gaming laptops were too much he said he would fine with any laptop. All he has right now is a very cheap small chomebook. So I bought it and figured I could return it if I changed my mind.

Ryman
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Ryman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:41 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:Yeah, I felt extra "meh" about it this year. In a year or 2 I might just stop doing the Black Friday thing altogether. Maybe that's the goal - Retailers want to normalize so-so deals in hopes of getting high turnout to sales throughout the year so they can phase out the big shopping event. Or maybe I'm just cheap.

I'm glad you said this, because I also just didn't feel it this year. It might be because Thanksgiving was really early this year, but I was completely disorganized. Normally I have a list of what I want and where I want to go ready weeks in advance but I barely finished it on Tuesday, a day before Thanksgiving.

I also felt like the deals weren't as good this year as years past (I guess I've finally joined that group that's always complaining things were better back in the day :wink: ); I've been keeping track of several things over the past month and a half and several of them actually went up in price, which I'm pretty sure is the opposite of what they're supposed to do!

With that being said, I still grabbed a few things: an external hard drive, new pots and pans (I've needed these forever - seriously don't look at my current pots and pans, it's so embarrassing!), some work clothes and a new game. Some of my shopping was done online and some was in store on Friday morning. I liked being able to buy things early on Wednesday, it was nice to get some of it out of the way early!

Return to “Rants and Raves”