Share your Black Friday 2017 experience here!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Share your Black Friday 2017 experience here!

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:23 am

As we approach Black Friday this week and many of the sales starting yesterday and today, post your success stories here.

What did you buy?
What was your main item you wanted?
Where did you go?
Did you miss out on anything?
Any drama in the stores you were in?
Share them here.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

llamagrl
Black Friday Pro

Re: Share your Black Friday 2017 experience here!

Postby llamagrl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 pm

There was a hp laptop at aafes for $169. It is a doorbuster on Friday @ 8a. They put it up on their website this morning and I bought it before they realized their error and took it down! It has already gone to shipping so that is one less thing I have to worry about tonight! :D

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 am

Trying to get the google home mini from best buy for about 1.5 hours... keep having all sorts of issues trying to check out.. bah.. this is annoying. :(

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 am

I think I'm sick :(

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 am

I just had one of the most productive Black Friday shopping excursions I've ever had. My goals were to go to Big Lots and Ocean State Job Lot for their early Thanksgiving morning sales.

I stopped at a gas station to get gas and bought a newspaper for the ad flyers. I also treated myself to a coffee (with artificial-flavored, hazelnut, non-dairy creamer) which was a real treat since I usually make my own coffee and don't buy it.

At Big Lots, I looked at the DVDs (the only thing I was interested in), but none of the titles were good. I briefly considered buying Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever. What a terrible movie! I ended up buying two boxes of herbal tea (new flavors I hadn't seen before) and a 5-pack of ramen noodles.

I then headed to Ocean State Job Lot. The store wouldn't open for another half-hour, but I thought I would just look at my newspaper ads and drink coffee while I waited. Unexpectedly, I discovered that the supermarket in the same shopping plaza was open Thanksgiving Day! (Supermarkets open on Thanksgiving are rare where I live.) So, I browsed the supermarket for a while and found 3 new Celestial Seasonings herbal tea flavors to buy.

I also discovered that a new Salvation Army family store had opened in that same plaza! My local Salvation Army store closed 2 years ago when they lost their lease. I hadn't realized that they had found a new location and re-opened. I don't visit this shopping plaza often, and it must have happened sometime in the past year. So, I now have another thrift store to add to my circuit.

Ocean State Job Lot was something of a bust. I was there to look at the $1 Polar seltzer 6-packs, $0.39 imported pasta, and Bob's Red Mill items that were 40% off. I wasn't really interested in the seltzer and Bob's Red Mill things; I just took a look at what they had available. I was going to buy the pasta because $0.39 a pound is a good price. However, I found out that the imported pasta was actually from Turkey! I wasn't really sure about buying pasta made in Turkey. Plus, they only had a few pasta shapes, and they weren't shapes I was especially interested in. So, I ended up buying nothing from Ocean State Job Lot.

In the same plaza, I also discovered that the Dollar Tree was open on Thanksgiving Day. I shopped there and bought some sundries: super glue, a pop-up laundry hamper, and a rolling pin.

I then went home, and I am now preparing to cook my Thanksgiving meal. It was a very productive shopping trip!

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I just completed my second Black Friday shopping trip of the year. I went out to Five Below and got the Bluetooth headphones doorbuster. There were only a handful of people at store opening.

The shopping plaza was pretty empty, and there was no line outside of Toys R Us (which had opened an hour earlier). This is different than 2 years ago when there was a line outside of Toys R Us for hours after opening.

I then went to the mall which had been open for just 15 minutes. There was still plenty of parking available which again was different than previous years. I suppose that the 6 pm opening meant that lots of people were still at home eating Thanksgiving dinner. There was plenty of people at the mall, though it wasn't as crowded as past years. I note that the Apple Store in the mall was closed with a sign saying they would open at 8 am Friday morning. I was there at mall to visit Dick's Sporting Goods to see if they had any unadvertised fishing deals (they did not), so I just walked around the mall once and then left.

I then swung by Walmart which had opened 1.5 hours before, to see if the crowds might have died down. Doing so turned out to be a mistake as the parking lot was still jam packed. I slowly traveled through the parking lot to turn around and leave. I'll just visit Walmart either late tonight or, more likely, early tomorrow morning when there probably won't be any sort of crowd.

Then I went home.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm

I tried shopping tonight but pretty much a failure. I probably could have got DVDs from Target but the entrance from the mall into the store was closed and I didn't feel like going around to the outside entrance. I think I'm too sick for this crap. Maybe tomorrow. I want to go to Menards before noon and see if there are any of the gloves left (since it will probably be halfway through the 6hr sale). Also interested in the dog bed, but need to see it to decide if it's big enough.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Did okay today. Was pretty bummed to start because nothing online was going my way. I live in Eastern Time Zone so was up way too late and bought almost nothing.

Did go to jcp. Girls and I always do since coupons at the door are basically free money. We made the most of that. Then we went to Target. I ended up buying the doorbuster TV. I was surprised to get it since we weren't in the first 30 people or so- but they had more tickets that they normally have of doorbusters (I think out store had 27) and a lot of the people in front of us were passing on it. The people in front of us waiting with the crowd for over an hour and were only getting food storage containers. They just wanted to be out in the middle of it all. Our living room has only had a tiny TV for a long time - so the new TV will be welcomed and definitely used.

One guy lost his cool and could be heard bellowing his aggravation in Target within 5 minutes of the sale starting. He didn't like that he got bumped with a buggy and had his foot ran over. The associates were telling him he had to calm down or would be removed. It still baffles me how people all get shopping carts and then want to play bumper carts and whine about it. And again - people who bring the entire family out to shop where more than half of them don't want to be at the store always baffles me.

I guess I got most of the things I wanted in the end. I didn't do great but I didn't have a total bust either.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 am

My BF actually started on Monday with the Kohl's online sales. Got an awesome cookware set with none of those crappy rebates and for half price to boot, a few clothing items not available at my local Kohl's, and a cute little beanie hat that has antlers on it and says "Oh Deer" (I know, I'm weird :lol: ). Got $30 in Kohl's cash in my inbox already to spend next week, and my packages are already on their way here, so I'm pretty pleased with them.

Next was the early access sale for Target on Wednesday. I discovered before the sale actually started that the Westinghouse TV wasn't going to be one of the deals, so I found the 50" Element TV listed on the front page here under hot deals and bought it. Best part was, we didn't have to pay the handling cost and picked it up at the store the same day. We also got my dad his mini fridge he's been wanting and picked that up at the store too. That was the fastest ready to pick up I've ever received. After paying, it took a whole whopping 3 minutes (yes you read that correctly - three) to get the email that said it was ready to be picked up. The only other things I got there were some Nightmare Before Christmas things for myself.

Next was the Walmart sale going live very, very early turkey day morning. I scored almost my entire list during this, including several movies after they finally went live for me and the $39 air fryer, plus some things that weren't in the ad but still included on the list you got when you clicked on their BF banner. I've never had that kind of luck before, but I'm incredibly happy I did this time. No cart = no hassles.

After all of that, it was time to nap for a few hours. When I woke up, I went to Big Lots. Got my couch ordered, which will arrive on the day we have our Uhaul to move (big bonus there!) and also got one of the $189 rocker recliners, plus a few other little odds and ends. They wouldn't hold the recliner for me, so I had to take it home with me, which we really didn't want to do since our house is disorganized chaos with our move coming up in a little over a week. I took a nap when I got home from BL and had hubby and the kiddo go out to my vehicle to get the chair. Unfortunately, the box was so large it didn't fit through the door! They had to take it out of the box to get it in, so now I have to deal with a recliner taking up space that I could use for boxes and an extra large box that I can't use for moving. Ugh.

After my short nap, it was off to Walmart. No cart for me this year, just a jumbo reusable bag. Twice I was accused of putting items in my bag before the sale started and twice I proved that whoever told the employees that were liars. Personally, I think the people who did it were just mad cuz they didn't think of my idea of using a reusable grocery bag as a basket first. The WM folks started to let everyone fill their carts (or bag in my case) 5 minutes before the sale started. Grabbed my thumb drives, then some PJs, socks, and other clothing and raced to the opposite side of the store for the $24.88 3-pk. of lamps that hubby told me right as I was heading out the door that he wanted. Also grabbed a pack of washcloths on the way there. Then it was time to check out. Once again, there was a single line to the checkouts that branched off into 6 sections to get to the registers. There were about 8 different haphazard lines going to the single-file checkout spot and it was totally unorganized. After about 10 minutes of standing in complete gridlock, an employee finally showed up to direct traffic. The folks in front of me saw me struggling with the lamps (they were heavier than they looked), took them from me and put them on their cart so I wasn't breaking my back trying to lug them through the gridlock. They were very nice people. We stuck together through the checkouts and finally got through everything around 6:40pm.

Then it was off to Target. Had to park in the middle of Abu Dhabi (or at least that's how far away it felt) and again took my reusable bag in with me to avoid a cart. Went through the movies first and found all but 2 on my list. Then went to check out the yellow towels, only to discover that they were all gone from the shelf. Bummer, but not a huge deal. Then I was on the hunt for the $9.99 NCAA/NFL fleece blankets. Have I told you guys how much I enjoy living in the middle of PA? Where you can't find anything but Pittsburgh teams? Yeah, not thrilled about that, but back to hunting it was. As I was asking the nice employee if there were any other places those blankets could be, I overheard 2 ladies talking about the towels. I dipped into the bin where they were and found 2 yellow towels. Aw shucks, I need 3. At this point, I'm only getting bits and parts of what they're taking about, but heard the tail-end where the one lady said she wasn't going to get yellow towels if she couldn't get the matching washcloths and hand towels. I waited til she walked away to pick up that extra towel I needed. Then it was off to find a few clothing items that we couldn't find online, then to the $8 K-cups and then onto check out, which surprisingly only took about 30 minutes.

And last, it was back to Walmart to pick up some normal household things I needed and to pick through what was left of the DVDs. Found Dark Tower, but no Beauty and the Beast. BTW, Beauty and the Beast was sold out everywhere. Got back through the checkout, went to my dad's to drop his things off, then to the bestie's to drop things off for him, and then home.

Next on the agenda is Lowe's in a few hours. All I need there this year is batteries and a pair of saw horses, so that will be a quick trip.

All in all, it's been a very quiet and very weird BF for me this year. But it has also been quite productive too. I'm pretty happy that I could get a majority of the things I wanted without having to fight for them,

BridgetinMD
Black Friday Newbie

Postby BridgetinMD » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am

I went to Walmart to get an iphone. Stood in line about an hour, was #7 or so in line. Was with my SIL and a friend happened to be right in front of me with his son, so line was fun. At 6, they opened up - they got no iphone 7s, and apparently only 6 iphones. My friend's son got the last one. I was the first one who didnt get a phone. A lady in front of them got 3 phones. :cry: We quickly left and went to Target.

Stood in line for 2+ hrs to get on a waitlist. They had a guy there who asked what phone we wanted and would say "no more X color, no more 64g" or whatever. I asked for an iphone 8+, 256 g in gold. The waitlist app shows how long i've been waiting (um, I can tell you that myself! LOL) and not when my approximate appt time will be. It was supposed to send a text to tell me I had 15 min to return to the electronics dept to start my activation. I left and went to Best Buy to buy a Defender case and charge my current phone. Came back @930pm and saw many of my fellow line-mates hanging around. Two ladies had gotten phone activation texts at 7:15 and had STILL NOT BEEN SEEN. They were pretty hot. Target was STILL taking names and putting people on the waiting app! Customers were getting so PO'd bc the store was going to close at midnight, it was 10 and people were taking at least an hr to activate per phone.

I saw a neighbor there and a friend from high school. My neighbor had come back - target was now unofficially "making appts" for Saturday for those who were on the waitlist and had gotten a text to come back. They went to the back and actually pulled the phones and put our names and numbers on the phones. I thought that was pretty nice of them. Bc otherwise when the store opened back up tmrw at 6am, who knows who would be getting phones! Then they moved to the people who had come back to check in without an actvation text (like me). They pulled my phone - he marked me down for the wrong one, an 8 in rose gold (they don't even make it in that color). So I was grateful they pulled the phone I wanted and confirmed with me. My neighbor made her appt for 10am. mine is today at 2. my high school friend had left, so I texted her and told her they were trying to figure out if she wanted to make an appt. Hers is at 5pm - which is kind of unfair bc she was several in front of me - AND they didn't have the phone she originally wanted. I was wondering what the guy who took our order was doing! He seemed to have an inventory but clearly he didn't have the right numbers OR have the right colors. :x Target said orginally it was supposed to be 30 min activation per person, but the system was clearly overloaded. So the girls taking appts were making them for 1 hr. and then there were still people in line that were getting placed on the waitlist!!!!

Walmart had a way more limited stock, but seemed to have the right idea about activation! I got home at 11. I figured I basically waited in line for 5 hrs last night! LOL

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:35 pm

My BF was very successful, thought I didn't have much to get yesterday.

Bought most everything earlier in the week from Kohl's and TRU. Sitting waiting on packages (some have arrived) and have $30 Kohls Cash to spend.

TRU was okay, I got games I wanted, okay prices, same as anywhere else.
Kohls was better - 20 items for $100, plus the $30 Kohls cash.

Yesterday, we had an early dinner. Everyone left by 4. I had planned to go out later and avoid the insanity of early shopping. Decided to head out earlier since everyone was gone/crashed and everything was cleaned up. Left with my daughter & SIL, who was limping because he sprained his ankle earlier. I warned him I'd leave him if he was holding me back! :lol:

Started at the mall. The coat I wanted to get didn't fit my daughter well, so I knew it wouldn't fit my other daughter. Found two great mug sets for two different couples on my list. Plus some socks ($.79)! and a wallet for hubby.

Went to JCP, got two blankets for my Dad & stepmom. Went to Old Navy, ran into other daughter who wanted these boots (MOM, I LOVE THEM) so I got them instead of the coat. And a sweater for my mom. Ended spending $30 and got $20 in "super cash" which isn't as super as one might think.

Went to Target. Mine was a bust there, but daughter found the workbench and a Nerf gun she wanted. I did get a sweater/shirt combo and the Tupperware.

Ended at Walmart. It was almost empty except TONS of doorbusters everywhere. Literally a LINE of TVs almost the length of the store. :shock:
Got the PJs for the kids, the journal set, the canning jars, and two sets of sheets. Hoping they are as nice as my other ones. Thought about looking through the DVDs, but they were a mess. Grabbed one I wanted and decided I'd come back this weekend when I was less tired to look through.

Daughter once again got everything except the Playdoh. Honestly, I think that and Legos were all Walmart was sold out of.

All in all, I left around 630, got home around 11. Which, considering my mall is an hour away, and Walmart which is closest is about 20 minutes away, was pretty good. Now I have wrapped all the gifts and am awaiting my packages.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:31 pm

My Black Friday was overall a great success.

Monday, (or was it Sunday?) as much as I hate Best Buy, they had some good deals. A great friend let me login to her Best Buy Elite account to place an order. I ordered 2 of the AOC 21.5" Monitors and the Linksys AC220 Tri-Band routers. ($219)
Then from Kohl's, I ordered the Serta 3" Perfect Temp Mattress Topper ($150!!) and the 3-pc cookie sheets.
Then at Bon-Ton, I ordered the Under Armour Boys Fleece ($29.99), the FAO Schwarz Vintage LED Ceramic Tree ($19.97) and Tommy Hilfiger pillows ($7.97).
All of the above orders arrived Wednesday!!

Thursday, I ordered a lot online. I ordered the Kobalt Laser Distance Measurer ($19.98) from Lowe's. I ordered an Under Armour Men's Stacked Logo hoodie from Dick's ($39.98), 4 Skylanders figures from Toys R Us ($10 since they were B1G4F), the RealTree 40"x50" dog bed ($19.99) and 2 of the 2" yellow straps ($6.99) from Tractor Supply, the Craftsman Work Light w/ tripod from Sears ($19.99), and the HP Pavilion Desktop w/ i5/12GB Ram/1TB HDD/Win10 from Staples ($369.99). I also ordered 2 23" monitors from TigerDirect ($79/ea) All of those were ordered Thursday morning.

I then laid on the couch with the kids and watched the parade, then helped the wife prep for todays food. At 2pm, I headed out. I stopped at Sheetz and grabbed a burger and then went to Walmart. WHAT A SHOCKER. Everything was already out. Normally I watch them bring things out. Our Walmart has a new manager and wouldn't let anyone touch anything until 5:30 and it was wrapped. There were 87236478 workers guarding things. Then once you got what you came for, the isles were blocked and nobody knew where to go, it was complete chaos. I hated it. Hopefully next year things will be back the way they were the past 10 years. Anyway at Walmart I got the Igloo mini desk fridge ($19.00) and 2 DVDs. I mainly went for the Arlo security cameras ($199/ea). They only had 4 and I realized what a good deal it was. Since that's where I was camped out, as soon as I could I grabbed 2 of them, a lady beside me grabbed one and a lady in front of me grabbed one. They were gone! I figured $400 for a decent security system at home is worth it. I then made my way to checkout, and left the store.

I went home, dropped off a my Walmart stuff, grabbed the wife, fed the dog and headed north. I stopped and met up with SoDangPretty from the boards here to get something she got for me at Toys R Us (THANK YOUSSSS <3) then we went to Target. We grabbed the Peanuts Blu-Ray ($4), 2 of the Dart guns ($20/ea), some refills for the darts, a notebook for my son, then got in line. It took an hour from the end of the line to checkout.

Then we went to Sears to pick up the order I ordered online earleir in the day. I was there MAYBE 5 minutes. Then we went to TGIFridays for some dinner. After that, we stopped back at Walmart to see what was left. NOTHING. A few clothes and DVDs but that was it. Everything else was gone. Then we made it home at 12:30 and went to bed.

We woke up Friday morning at 5:00 and headed back to the city. My wife went to A.C. Moore and I went to Staples. I was scared the desktop I bought online wouldn't ship so I bought another one ($369.99). My wife bought a few things, then we were out the door. If/When the one ships, I'll just return it, no biggie. Then we went to Petco and I got my dog a new crate ($90) and some toys ($40). Then we went to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast.

On the way home I realized the crate needed a pad, so we stopped by Tractor Supply on the way home and grabbed another one of the Realtree beds ($20) for her new crate. Then we went to pick up the orders from Lowe's (we had ordered another $75 worth of stuff for her dad before we headed out). Got that, then went to Walgreens to get some DayQuil/NyQuil ($7.99ea). Then we went to CVS to get some M&Ms (B1G1) and some 2liter Dr. Peppers ($.79/ea). I came home, ordered a DVDRW for my rig from Newegg ($13) and then hooked up my wifes new computer. I'll hook mine up later.

All in all, it was a great time. We had a lot of fun shopping. We don't do any Christmas shopping on BF since we've been done since September. We like to shop for ourselves on this day since we do not go to stores during the year.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Giraffe34
Black Friday Pro

Postby Giraffe34 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:19 pm

This was my first BF shopping in California. I had a good time and everything went fairly smoothly. I bought one item online, and the rest was in stores. I lined up at Target at 1:00 pm- was 4th in line.

Target.com:

Keurig coffee maker with free $20 gift card

Stores:

Target:

55 inch Westinghouse 4k tv

Echo dot

20 piece Pyrex bakeware/storage set

20 piece T-Fal cookware set

George Foreman grill/panini maker

Oster rice cooker/steamer

Black and Decker wet/dry hand vac

Queen fuzzy blanket

6 piece 1050 thread count sheet set

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 game

Walmart:

Ninja 900 watt blender

36 piece Take-Alongs storage set

6 piece bathroom set

Dearfoams women's slippers

Sharper Image men's slipppers

USB cable

Best Buy:
Sony headphones
Last edited by Giraffe34 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:13 pm

I feel pretty good about my experience. We went to Walmart first where I grabbed some slippers, the tumbler two pack and some wax melts. Then at Target some men's clothing, socks, and underwear. Kohls was my favorite. I grabbed a few Big One throws, a couple PJ sets, and some mens thermals. I had planned but buy a Norelco shaver, but didn't realize it was a mail in rebate item :( , so I passed on that. Also grabbed the $11.99 cat litter at Petsmart. I picked up a couple items from Ulta, Bonton, and H&M, then concluded the day with a couple online purchases at home. I had fun. That's what matters! :lol:

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:16 pm

This year my biggest items were from BB which initially tried to buy online when the Elite pre-sale started. However, because of a glitch with the website and really incompetent Pakistan-based phone support, I would up going to the store on Monday where the great Brick&Mortar employees got me he BF prices on the TV and Surface Pro right then and there. Pre-BF the B&M employees ordered me the Keurig on the special deal ($59.99 WITH $20 gift card that they applied to the order so...$39.99) even though the deal was supposed to be in-store only and this store was sold out. Sometimes its just great having a real store with real local employees and management that cares about the customers

Thanksgiving I had a break between family meals so thought it was worth a try to hit the Target at 6pm to try and snag a couple of the Echo Dots with the $10 Target gift card. Back at the electronics counter things were very hectic and the line was huge. I grabbed the Dots and asked an employee if I had to buy them there or if I could go up front. He said that he was pretty sure you had to buy them there. Well, was not going to wait that long, so went to the front anyway. Unlike the electronics department the Target main checkout was very well organized and moved very smoothly and quickly. They WERE able to sell me the Dots and give me the gift cards so was in and out nice and easy.

On BF morning I headed to Manards. Since Menards is about the only store here that was not open Thanksgiving, I knew it would be crowded. Got there at about 5:20 for the 6 am opening and the line was from the doors to across 1/2 the front of the store then right-angled into about 1/3 through the parking lot. Within about 10 min, it was all the way out the parking lot then way down the road. Employees worked the line handing out maps, ads and cookies. Grabbed all of my things which were mostly small items but a lot of them and used my usual strategy of not heading down the "main aisle" for checkout but going to through the store to the end near the lumber and, sure enough, there was a line starting spot (#6) right there. I was out of Menards with all my treasures by 6:30!

Next was a 30 min drive to Bass Pro. Outside one of the managers was standing next to a big map of the store telling people where the different 6-hour sale items were located. The parking lot was packed but the store did not seem overcrowded except in the gun department. There I hit my first disappointment, they did not have the Plaid Shirt-Jacket I wanted in the size/color combo I wanted. One of the staff checked in back and he said they didn't have any. HOWEVER, I kept looking around the clothing area and, sure enough, found just what I wanted on another rack where someone had apparently hung it when they changed there mind - SCORE. Bought several different jackets and jeans

Then drove back to my town to the Ace Hardware for lights and cords and Harbor Freight for some cheap tools and a wireless doorbell we needed. ACE was empty but Harbor was packed. Their coupon and club discount deals slow things down quite a bit a the checkout but everyone was very friendly and no drama.

Went home, took a nap, installed the doorbell, put up the wreaths, took a walk and now relaxing on an amazing 75 degree day here in Mid Missouri!

In all a dang nice BF shopping day

Return to “Rants and Raves”